Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 11:18:33 PM EDT
In North Carolina what is the minimum age requirement to purchase handgun ammunition?

This question may seem obvious to you, but apparently it's not. Please do not give me an age if you're not 100% sure. The NRA says you have to be 21 to purchase or possess handgun ammunition. However, the NC Department of Justice says the following:

Effective January 1, 1995 North Carolina law found in G.S. § 14-315, prohibits any
person from selling, offering for sale, giving away, or in any way transferring to a person
under the age of 18 any pistol cartridge
, brass knucks, Bowie knife, dirk, shurikin, leaded
cane, or slingshot. Any person who violates this law is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor and,
in addition, shall forfeit the proceeds of any sale made in violation of this prohibition.

www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Did I interpret that wrong? Check the link for the whole shebang.

I also called a local firearms instructor and he said 18. But when I called a local gun shop, he told me I had to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition. I even called my local Sheriff's Office and they flat out didn't know! How ridiculous is that?! The Sheriff's Office! Who do I have to call, the Attorney General!?

So my fellow North Carolinians, can you shed some light on this situation for me? I'd be very grateful.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for replying so quickly. But if that's true, then what is the NC Department of Justice talking about?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks bud. I guess it is a tad early. I look forward to the replies.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I would like to know the correct answer as well.

I guess I am guilty of part of this law, I bought my son a slingshot for Christmas.  How assinine can we get with our laws.

My dad taught me that a man had better not ever be caught without a pocketknife, and now I can't teach that to my kids because they will end up in jail if they take one to school, or just forget they have it with them.

I work for the local FD, and one of our SD officers told us that when we go in and teach fire prevention in the schools, we have to leave our seat belt cutters, and EMS shears on the trucks.  Can't legally have them on our belts.  Of course he turns his head and doesn't enforce that, but it shows how bad things have gotten.

Sorry for the rant......
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm 18 and buy handgun ammo quite often, from more than one place. According to them you can be 18 to buy ammo, but 21 for the gun. Some stores (Wal-Mart) have their own policy however which requires you to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo (think: Columbine).

That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, that's the answer I want to hear, but for the sake of fairness...we're 1 & 1.

21-yrs-old: 1

18-yrs-old: 1

Keep em coming guys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My topic has had 66 views but only a few replies. Apparently a lot of people don't know the answer for certain to this question. This is frustrating. I want to shoot damn it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell them it's for a rifle and forget about it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, Seems to me that I was never questioned about what I was buying the ammo for until recently I'm in my 30's BTW. when I bought 200rds of wihchester white box 9mm at wally-world. My reply was for  a "Sub-gun". I got in return a "deer in headlights look" and umm...OK from the cashier.

I laughed my arse off all the way out the door.

Jason
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the federal law is 21 for handgun ammo and 18 for rifle ammo.  This is what most default to.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the federal law is 21 for handgun ammo and 18 for rifle ammo.  This is what most default to.

BULLSEYE!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
i'm 20 and i buy 9mm all the time.  i've never been asked any questions at walmart.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#14]
All in all, it's what you can get away with.  In legal speak, I default to young Mr. NCPatrol's post.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, that's a lot of affirmatives for 21. Now of you that feel that it's 21, can any of you explain to me what is meant by the paragraph I quoted from the NC Department of Justice in my original post? If you want to see the whole thing, click the link. My paragraph is from page 31 in Adobe about 1/3 of the page down.

I'm not doubting you. I just want to figure out how I could be misinterpretting that paragraph.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
From what I read you are correct in your understanding of the statute.  However, keep in mind that we are talking about federal law versus state law.  IN other words, the state couldn't charge you for being 20 and buying pistol ammo while the Feds could.

A great example of this was the ability of felons to have firearms in their homes. Until recently, a felon in NC could have a firearm in his home and be within state law.  However, that person would be violating federal law for the very same possession.  NC did revise the state statute last year (or 2004) in order to get in line with the federal statute.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah, now that makes sense. I didn't even think about the possibility of the state being slow to get their laws in line with overarching federal ones. Well, to be absolutely certain I have emailed the Attorney General's office. I'll let you know what he or one of his representatives says.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
UPDATE

I still have not heard back from the Attorney General's office, but I did find something of interest. There's a website called Juvenile Law Center. Under Facts Sheets > Age requirements for specific various activities > Firearms, I found the following introductory paragraph:

Under Federal law, youth under the age of 18 cannot possess a handgun or handgun ammunition. Neither can any federally licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector sell or deliver any firearm to a juvenile under the age of 18 or any firearm, other than a shotgun or rifle, to any person under the age of 21. 18 U.S.C.A. § 922.

www.jlc.org/agerequirements/default.php?id=firearms

Assuming this is true, then I can at least possess handgun ammunition. However, it does not say anything about purchasing handgun ammunition so I'm still in limbo here.

Here's something else worth mentioning: Cabela's lists 18 as their minimum age requirement to purchase ammunition from them. It's the same disclaimer under both rifle ammunition and handgun ammunition. Hmmm...

EDIT: I just realized that I've yet to mention that I'm 20-years-old.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of people say the ammo is for a rifle when they buy it. Just do that!

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE

Well I still have not heard back from the Attorney General. No matter, tonight I ordered 500rds of Wolf 230gr .45ACP from Cabelas.com. Their age limit is posted as 18 on their website, so as far as I can tell I have not done anything illegal or jumped through a loop hole. Since it's apparently legal for me to possess handgun ammunition, according to jlc.org, then I won't be committing an illegal act when my package arrives either.

So as far as I'm concerned the matter is not completely settled, but good enough. Soon I will legally have bullets to put down range. That'll do. Thanks for all your input, everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top