Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 9:30:00 PM EDT
One of the things "we" inherited when Mrs. Drang's father passed away was his Chevy Nova.

His all original '63 Chevy Nova.

I had been debating whether I should try to talk her out of selling it, but it looks like I will not have to, as she is wanting to fix it up.

No, I will not drive you to the beer store after the EMP bomb disables your wheels and I she has the only running car in town.

Don't know how long the thing had been sitting in the garage. At a minimum it needs a new battery and a thorough tune-up. Of course, with a '63 I should be able to do the work myself, but it's been so long...

Ass-you-me'ing it has been sitting idle––that is, never run, not "idling"––for 10 years, should we even try to crank it, or let an expert work on it? Any recommendations for an expert, preferably in the South Sound area?

Of course, were someone to make a generous enough offer she might change her mind about not selling. Never mind. I know the kinds of offers you clowns would make...
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 9:32:26 PM EDT by NataSS]
2 door or 4 door?

ETA: I can help with some diagnostics.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:38:57 PM EDT
153 4 cyl or 194 stright 6?

3 on the tree? I love them old nova/chevyII
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:40:34 PM EDT
Odds are.. it won't even start because of all the bad gas in the fuel system unless someone actually put the effort into draining all the fuel out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:43:21 PM EDT
Cool. Hope it's a 2 door. What motor?... well that doesn't matter, your wife will understand it needs a 421 Chevy small block and beefed up suspension and drive train.

PICS?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:49:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jonathon:
Odds are.. it won't even start because of all the bad gas in the fuel system unless someone actually put the effort into draining all the fuel out.

I don't know... I have stared some old cars that have been sitting for years... One of them worst things on them old chevys is the carbuatro... and the old distributor. If it has a 6 in it you can get an HEI system from a junk yard. Huge improvment... Want to have some if it has a 6... Get an offenhauser Intake Manifold
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:49:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoberDude:
Cool. Hope it's a 2 door. What motor?... well that doesn't matter, your wife will understand it needs a 421 Chevy small block and beefed up suspension and drive train.

PICS?

YOU HEATHEN.... LEAVE IT STOCK

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:30:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By spankybear:

Name one of your teddy bears you have not put a dress on.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:28:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:

hahahaha...I think I peed a little.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:17:17 AM EDT
Drain and clean gas tank. Have carb cleaned or rebuilt. You will likely have mucho frustration or disappointment if you don't. Replace cap, rotor and points. Plugs should be ok, but maybe do those, too. You may opt for belts ad hoses as well. Drain and replace coolant. Put some "water wetter" in. Change the oil and filter. Leave plugs out for a day. Squirt oil in cylinders, crank to lube cylinders. Soon after, you'll want to have the rake system flushed. Or, be old school, just dump gas in, jump it till it runs and go. Of course, this method may kill it, or at least take years off of its life. BTW, if it has an automatic, do the fluid and filter there, too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:16:48 AM EDT

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:20:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DW_Drang:
No, I will not drive you to the beer store after the EMP bomb disables your wheels and I she has the only running car in town.

Wow, that thing has a mechanically injected diesel engine in it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:08:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Boomer:

It's a '63. There are no electronics in it, anywhere. (It might have an AM radio...)
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:19:47 AM EDT
<I'll be the first asshole to say>

GREAT PIF, IN!

Awesome that you're going to keep it. Tough decision on whether to go straight restoration with OEM, or beef it up. Where's that LS1 that GW was ripping out........

and
PICS?

This
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:04:29 PM EDT
Don't know how long the thing had been sitting in the garage. At a minimum it needs a new battery and a thorough tune-up.

It's a '63. There are no electronics in it, anywhere. (It might have an AM radio...)

Dumbass!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:44:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bobbitybobbity:
Drain and clean gas tank. Have carb cleaned or rebuilt. You will likely have mucho frustration or disappointment if you don't. Replace cap, rotor and points. Plugs should be ok, but maybe do those, too. You may opt for belts ad hoses as well. Drain and replace coolant. Put some "water wetter" in. Change the oil and filter. Leave plugs out for a day. Squirt oil in cylinders, crank to lube cylinders. Soon after, you'll want to have the rake system flushed. Or, be old school, just dump gas in, jump it till it runs and go. Of course, this method may kill it, or at least take years off of its life. BTW, if it has an automatic, do the fluid and filter there, too.

Don't forget new plug wires, too.
Pull the wheels and drums and take a look at the brakes while you're at it.
You've got a gem of a car there. A little pre-trip care will go a long way.
Prioritize these items mentioned above and if it's a runner, finish up the new parts list and ––-
Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:50:39 PM EDT
spin the oil pump at the very least. pull the distributor, stick homemade tool in attached to drill and spin the heck out of it to get the motor lived. prob want to put a ratchet on the harmonic balanced to see if the motor is stuck before trying anything

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:02:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jonathon:

I started my 1957 Oldsmobile that hasn't been run in 10 years with nothing more than a quick shot of started fluid. Started within 2 seconds!
I did pull the coil wire and crank it a bit while looking for the water leak that parked in before I joined the Military, so it had oil splashed around.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:54:01 PM EDT
Good advice on the fuel system work.

I'd pull the plugs and squirt a little atf into each hole before you do anything else. Don't turn it over for at least a week. This will give any stuck rings a chance to relax a little.

I've had motorcycles sit less time with gas in the float bowls and they needed a thourough cleaning. Your Rochester 2bbl is an easy carb to clean though. Get a rebuild kit at NAPA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:56:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CrownAndSeven:
Don't know how long the thing had been sitting in the garage. At a minimum it needs a new battery and a thorough tune-up.

Dumbass!

You talkin' to me? It has no electronic––as opposed to electrical––devices critical to the functioning of the car, whiuch means that even in the event of an EMP bomb or Coronal Mass Ejection, it should still operate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:42:42 PM EDT

I am sure that is your fantasy but no I have no bears with dresses that I have put on them... Most are... well... um... Bare
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:44:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boomer:

The stock radios in them had tubes... you have to let em "warm up"

The radio "delete plate" is a hard item to find... unless the are now making repos
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:55:42 PM EDT
Earlier today, caught a few minutes of Overhaulin', they were,,,overhaulin' a '66 Chevelle, If your interested, "guide" said it was from 2005 season, titled
'Soldiers Ride" or something like that. They were NOT going stock, they made a damn BEAST out of that thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 2:38:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AUWalker:
Earlier today, caught a few minutes of Overhaulin', they were,,,overhaulin' a '66 Chevelle, If your interested, "guide" said it was from 2005 season, titled
'Soldiers Ride" or something like that. They were NOT going stock, they made a damn BEAST out of that thing.
I saw that on the guide, didn't watch.

She says she wants it stock. I'm going to suggest a security system, and maybe sound. Maybe someone here can make her a deal...

Top Top