Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/17/2004 6:56:13 PM EST
Looks good; but that is a silly place to put it.

Sparta Range

Governor Rod R. Blagojevich and Director Joel Brunsvold are proud to bring you the premiere World Shooting Complex in 2006.

Blago also tried to kill the project

The complex will feature a variety of activities for the avid sportsman.

1500+ acres including 250 acres of water
100 trap fields extending 3.5 miles
2 sporting clay courses
skeet
ATV demonstration area
Cowboy Action Shooting corral
Championship 3-D archery course
Permanent exhibitor building
600 RV campsites with electric and water, and potential for camping jamborees accommodating 1000+ campers
Recreational center building
Multi-purpose, multi-use recreational facility

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:08:57 AM EST
Why is it a silly place to put it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:36:27 AM EST
Blago is no friend to gun owners--regardless of this range. Shortky after he approved this range he wanted to enact restrcitions on FOID cards as well as other anti gun bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:16:43 AM EST
One big reason why they put the range in Sparta is because of the 19,000 acre hunting complex that was built in the area between Sparta, Balwin and Marissa. Rumor has it that membership costs are outrageous ( $10 to$20,000 a year). Rooms are said to be $400 a night. So you have got to have big money to belong and stay there. It's obvious that Sparta would like to attract that kind of sportsman.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:59:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gary-G23:
Why is it a silly place to put it?

It's in Missouri.

Or just about.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:13:15 PM EST
Where's the rifle range? Like everything else in Illinois, this place is a joke and doesn't look good at all. It blows.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:48:29 AM EST
I was told that Sparta WOULD have a rifle range and and also an indoor pistol range. This info came from a DNR guy so maybe he would know.

It is still too far away from me to be of much value but at least there is a new range somewhere in the state; even if it is almost in Missouri.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:48:54 AM EST
Pretty far from Chi-town
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:04:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 3:04:55 PM EST by mw365]
I thought Emil Jones killed the funding for this.

Did it get restored in the final budget?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:13:20 PM EST
They cut all kinds of stuff; but this project is going forward it seems. So my guess is the people holding the purse strings get a big "thank you" check.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:53:26 PM EST
Looks like it might be great if you like shooting at clay frisbees with a shotgun. As usual, the rifle and pistol shooters are only an afterthought. I don't think Illinois knows that highpower shooting exists. All I ever hear about Sporting Clays, and Cowboy shooting. You won't see me there unless they build a proper rifle range, and not just a dinky one with a couple 100 yard lanes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:21:53 AM EST
If they put the thing close to Chicago I'm sure it wouldn't be long before one of those anti-gun communities shut it down. It's a whole different ballgame down here.
I like shooting rifle more than anything but I'd rather shoot clay frisbees with a shotgun than go golfing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:30:55 AM EST
What a joke!!! I just got back from my fathers house in Nathrop, Colorado.(about 75mi. west of Co. springs) About 1 mile down the road on the main highway is a public range funded by the county (Chaffee county). It has a 500yd. rifle range, two pistol ranges and a shotgun range. It is self serve/free of charge. I was in shock to see such a beutiful set-up directly off the highway. I definately put it to use while I was out there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:45:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gary-G23:
If they put the thing close to Chicago I'm sure it wouldn't be long before one of those anti-gun communities shut it down. It's a whole different ballgame down here.
I like shooting rifle more than anything but I'd rather shoot clay frisbees with a shotgun than go golfing.

No it's not. I live in Northern IL, the most Republican county in IL. Southern IL and Chicago are cut from the same cloth. I'm tired of hearing what a different world it is down there. It's a different world in Tennessee, where I just came back from. Southern IL is who elected Blago. Southern IL is one of those places that votes Democrat because their "Daddy and Granddaddy" did. It's the same thing there that it is here. If it were a different world, y'all wouldn't have let your tax money pay for this insult to the shooting sports. The Sheeple of Southern IL sat there and let it happen without a peep. Up here we would have at least balked about it being a trap only range. I hope this place tanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:13:43 AM EST
Blago Blows!!!!!!!!!!

But this Sparta thing is great for Illinois gun owners!!!!!! Even if your a fresbee shooter or not!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:34:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 8:36:43 AM EST by srschick]
For all of you that don't know, Sparta is located about 50 miles southeast of St. Louis.
The main reason that the complex is to be built there is that the Illinois national Guard (who got it from the mining companies) donated a large area of land to the state in this area.

and YES! there is to be a pistol and rifle range. It does look like it will be small, but I hear that room is there if it does need to be expanded. (to the south of the complexe is more open land.)

read this brochure from Illinois DNR

AND YES, BLAGO STILL BLOWS!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:46:11 AM EST
look on the bottom of page two about the pistol and rifle range.

http://dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/OnTargetIss2.pdf
Top Top