Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2009 6:44:12 PM EDT
Well I'm stuck here in Southern IL again its better then being back near Chicago. Anyway what I'm looking for is survival minded people down near the area I'm in! I case something does happen its better to have a man to your left and right then to be on your own!! I'm not wanting to post anything that give up your or mine OPSEC here where anyone can read them! I'm looking for a group of people near me that will know we have each others backs in the time we need it most!

If your game please IM me the more of use there are that are friendly and like minded the better are chances might be!
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of Southern IL are you from?
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Near Carbondale and Marion right next to 57
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How'd your SHTF go?
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd your SHTF go?

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd your SHTF go?

The hurricane in the spring.  Or did you just move?
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd your SHTF go?

The hurricane in the spring.  Or did you just move?

My wife and kids where up here. I was in TX but they had all my perp gear the one time my wife was not pissed I spent the money on a few items like a heater ,candles, lanterns,stove! My wife thinks now when I tell here stuff its a upgrade from just blowing me off! I'm guessing another bad winter here the mice have started coming in the house mid Aug last year it was not tell Sep that they started in the garage! Now only after two bad winter does the wife hear me out when I tell here little things like the mice are coming in early this year. I hope to be with them this year for winter but might get called away for a job back in TX.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I am also looking for like minded people west of chicago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I am expecting a very rough winter this year with how mild this year has been so far. I have been redoubling what preps I have and have nearly completed doubling the insulation on my house. The only thing that is bothering me is my lack of propane for heating backup. I am hoping to pick up about 4 100lb tanks and that should do fine no matter what happens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am expecting a very rough winter this year with how mild this year has been so far.

And with the sunspot cycle still progressing very slowly, agreed.

Although colder than normal actually tends to make things easier in SoIL, as long as you have a snowfall-compatible vehicle.  Ice storms and the like are the worst problem and colder weather tends to push those further south, such as happened last year.  Normally SoIL is right in "ice storm alley".
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't fear snow at all. Actually I would love to have a snow day at work for once in my life. Ice storms are what I fear. I think it was in 06 was the last bad one here near STL. I ended up working every day for 2 months straight. The ot was great but I swear it took 5 years off my life.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am expecting a very rough winter this year with how mild this year has been so far.

Although colder than normal actually tends to make things easier in SoIL, as long as you have a snowfall-compatible vehicle.  Ice storms and the like are the worst problem and colder weather tends to push those further south, such as happened last year.  Normally SoIL is right in "ice storm alley".

could you imagine having to drive the roads near Shawnee National Forest, Harrisburg area/Garden of the gods in/after/during an ice storm

ugh, not fun.....

I'm glad I only visit the area....
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

could you imagine having to drive the roads near Shawnee National Forest, Harrisburg area/Garden of the gods in/after/during an ice storm

ugh, not fun.....

Yes I can imagine that very clearly. Have to do it for  at least 1 storm every year. Last time I had to drive down into the sticks of Pope Co. to get my daughter right in the middle of the storm or there is no telling how long she would have been stranded. I sure do miss snow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ugh, not fun.....

Yes I can imagine that very clearly. Have to do it for  at least 1 storm every year. Last time I had to drive down into the sticks of Pope Co. to get my daughter right in the middle of the storm or there is no telling how long she would have been stranded. I sure do miss snow.

wow, I'm not envious at all. I was just there in AUgust and the amount of big trucks, hauling gravel maybe, was amazing. tons of them all the time... and they drove pretty fast, close to each other and there is no side of the road other than a ditch.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Likewise. I'm not far from Lemont and looking for the same type of folks in the area.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ugh, not fun.....

wow, I'm not envious at all. I was just there in AUgust and the amount of big trucks, hauling gravel maybe, was amazing. tons of them all the time... and they drove pretty fast, close to each other and there is no side of the road other than a ditch.....

Coal. Don't get in their way. The drivers are not the sharpest crayons in the box.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likewise. I'm not far from Lemont and looking for the same type of folks in the area.

You have mail

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have mail

On second thought, I'm not eager to disclose my contact info to people I don't know.

Probably the best way for you to develop contacts with other shooters and people with similar interests as you would be participate in some local shooting events. I've found that many of the people I shoot with regularly share similar viewoints as far as politics and possible disaster preparedness.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Meh, I'm up near STL proper–– a bit too far away to be of much use to ya.   Hell, a bit too close to the city for my tastes too, but what can you do?   Well, besides stock up on guns/ammo and friends who you can trust to not blue-on-blue your ass when SHTF?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#19]
yea there is only my friend and i who are planning on working together,
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Would be nice if, when I finally get around to getting my FCC license for teh radio stuff to have a list of ARFCOMMers on ze radio :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I was looking into how the government does their emergency preperations and its a very smooth operation.  I would like to build something in the same sorts but some people are alittle skeptic about having their name on a list. Also its hard to make a list and plan the ops because some people will use the information for no good. What I have learned from Fema will help my friend and my fiance get through what ever happens and if it doesnt, The back up plans will go in effect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I am from near STL but my BOL is near Mcleansboro.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Would be nice if, when I finally get around to getting my FCC license for teh radio stuff to have a list of ARFCOMMers on ze radio :)

How long have you been waiting for your callsign?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got hit bad last year I'm trying to get the wife to start thinking about if we did not have power for 2 weeks what we would do for heat and other things. Luck I have a gas stove so cooking should be fine. Heat is hot water but it takes power to run it. My hot water is gas so I have that also. I'm trying to find the ice melting stuff bought a lot last year but I think the contractor we had took a lot of it with him to his home. Its hard to stock up on that stuff cause its only a once a year item so most places don't have it in stock all year around.

I think the ice storms are going to be worse this year then last year so I'm making sure I have 25+ gals of kerosene.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#25]
No one around my area more then an hour away has the balls to come out!!! That's cool you don't want to be the guy who everyone says is crazy! This is why TX is a hell of a lot better state and I can't wait to move there! Southern IL people suck your all talk and a bunch on Dems saying "As long as they don't take my shotgun! We will be fine!" Makes me sick!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No one around my area more then an hour away has the balls to come out!!! That's cool you don't want to be the guy who everyone says is crazy! This is why TX is a hell of a lot better state and I can't wait to move there! Southern IL people suck your all talk and a bunch on Dems saying "As long as they don't take my shotgun! We will be fine!" Makes me sick!!!

Huh?
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well...THAT is gonna make me want to give you my contact info...

as for the red...did you ever think maybe they were right when talking about you?

Personally, I don't know any of the kind you are talking about.  Sooo...why don't you just get down to Texas, mmmkay?

BTW, Check out my state reps:
John M. Shimkus   19th, US Representative  Republican
Kyle McCarter 51st, State Senator Republican
Ron Stephens 102nd, State Representative Republican

Not saying they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but no D's...
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

as for the red...did you ever think maybe they were right when talking about you?

Personally, I don't know any of the kind you are talking about.  Sooo...why don't you just get down to Texas, mmmkay?

Yep, I grew up in Troy, went to high school with Stephen's son Tod.    Joined the .mil, got out 6 years later, now I live in Collinvsille :)

Only thing I hate about this area is it's a bitch to find a good place to shoot.   I hate dumping out $80-100 to shoot two boxes of ammo at BSR ... hell, pretty much everyone that works there save one maybe two people (who know who they are) is either a raving idiot, or seems to do their best to make the impression that all they care about is their profit margin, truth be damned.  And yet I still go back, simply because I have yet to find a better place to go where I feel at least somewhat welcome that isn't a huge long drive.  At least at BSR I can bullshit with the few intelligent people about whatever while I'm looking at what they have.   Only exception is that if I get a transfer done, I drive out to Highland now as The Gun Shoppe doesn't lie about their transfer prices on their websight and then cry to me that their webmaster is too lazy to update their page... for months at a time.   That's pretty much it.  I checked out Highland Gun Club but something didn't quite seem right to me.  I dunno if I'm prejudiced against Fudds, but my friend and I didn't feel too welcome there... and I got the impression that if we were skeet or cowboy shooters that things would've been better.    Meh.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone in the east central IL area, come by a Guns Save Life meeting and introduce yourself before the meeting.

John
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I grew up in Troy, went to high school with Stephen's son Tod.    Joined the .mil, got out 6 years later, now I live in Collinvsille :)

Only thing I hate about this area is it's a bitch to find a good place to shoot.   I hate dumping out $80-100 to shoot two boxes of ammo at BSR ... hell, pretty much everyone that works there save one maybe two people (who know who they are) is either a raving idiot, or seems to do their best to make the impression that all they care about is their profit margin, truth be damned.  And yet I still go back, simply because I have yet to find a better place to go where I feel at least somewhat welcome that isn't a huge long drive.  At least at BSR I can bullshit with the few intelligent people about whatever while I'm looking at what they have.   Only exception is that if I get a transfer done, I drive out to Highland now as The Gun Shoppe doesn't lie about their transfer prices on their websight and then cry to me that their webmaster is too lazy to update their page... for months at a time.   That's pretty much it.  I checked out Highland Gun Club but something didn't quite seem right to me.  I dunno if I'm prejudiced against Fudds, but my friend and I didn't feel too welcome there... and I got the impression that if we were skeet or cowboy shooters that things would've been better.    Meh.

There is always Town and country in Maryville. They only take members in jan and july. I will see what the waiting list looks like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats pretty well spot on about highland. also may want to add trying to sight in a shotgun for deer season at 25 yards & cant hit the paper!

I go there & I like the fact that people leave me alone. Just let me do my thing & I leave. just pay the $10!

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The people where I'm at don't care about your gun rights as long as they have there shotguns that's all that matters to them! They might be right when there talking about me so like I care? I have redneck SOB's trying to tell me a Marine was in Iraq three times my MOS (Job) machine gunner that I'm not a real man cause I have never shoot a deer before? I asked them have you ever shoot a human at 500 yard open sight and he runs across a street? They think I'm crazy cause I have taken more human lives then they have deer! I worked for the courthouse for about a year do you know 99% of all the people I had talked to there thought that AR-15 and type of rifle and pistol as long as it was not a 22LR should be banned for this state? Almost everyone that works for this county is a Dem?

I can't wait to get to Texas again!!! I want it so bad every time I have to go out in this state. I do have to say where I'm at is the best part of IL not only people but it is pretty out here! If it was not for how dumb the people are and the laws I'd love to say here!!! You can tell me about all the Rep we have in this state and I don't care Rep don't care about me! Maybe you cause you have money? The Dems don't care about me cause I make money and I'm white! I have lived in Texas and mostly here in IL and trust me TX is a much better state!

Quoted:

The Southern IL good old boy system!! It's still in the works today Hell it was when people where murdered in the 1900 they where I was at pitch forked to death or beaten to death by coal miners cause they where trying to make some money!! Look up Herrin massacre! I live in a town with cops that tell you when someone writes "Old Bitch" on the back of someones home they say just the high school kids having fun! When you call the cop about drugs being dealt two doors down form you they say " We are to busy for that!"

I agree with you 100% on what your saying
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:18:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people where I'm at don't care about your gun rights as long as they have there shotguns that's all that matters to them! They might be right when there talking about me so like I care? I have redneck SOB's trying to tell me a Marine was in Iraq three times my MOS (Job) machine gunner that I'm not a real man cause I have never shoot a deer before? I asked them have you ever shoot a human at 500 yard open sight and he runs across a street? They think I'm crazy cause I have taken more human lives then they have deer! I worked for the courthouse for about a year do you know 99% of all the people I had talked to there thought that AR-15 and type of rifle and pistol as long as it was not a 22LR should be banned for this state? Almost everyone that works for this county is a Dem?

I can't wait to get to Texas again!!! I want it so bad every time I have to go out in this state. I do have to say where I'm at is the best part of IL not only people but it is pretty out here! If it was not for how dumb the people are and the laws I'd love to say here!!! You can tell me about all the Rep we have in this state and I don't care Rep don't care about me! Maybe you cause you have money? The Dems don't care about me cause I make money and I'm white! I have lived in Texas and mostly here in IL and trust me TX is a much better state!

Quoted:

The Southern IL good old boy system!! It's still in the works today Hell it was when people where murdered in the 1900 they where I was at pitch forked to death or beaten to death by coal miners cause they where trying to make some money!! Look up Herrin massacre! I live in a town with cops that tell you when someone writes "Old Bitch" on the back of someones home they say just the high school kids having fun! When you call the cop about drugs being dealt two doors down form you they say " We are to busy for that!"

I agree with you 100% on what your saying

Well, for my part, wherever you meet these people (whatever courthouse you work at), they're just all sorts of f-ed up...and the coal miner-Democrat thing is certainly screwed up, the union crap around here (and I live in the same area Storm lives in, metro-east/a little ways from STL) is still enough to make me sick, as I see that BS all the time (brainwashing).  But honestly, I live close to a major metro area, and the people around here (that I know) aren't as retarded as the ones where you are. I assume you are in southern, southern IL...I deer hunt near Vienna, so I've been down there "a few times," but I guess I don't mingle with the townsfolk enough...

BTW, trust me, I don't stay in IL because I love the state, only because I have tons of family here, and that's how it works out best for me...I'm positively SURE TX is a better state.    And I haven't been there all that much!
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Speaking of BSR, girlfriend is wanting to buy a pistol...  got my XD when I was in the Navy from Quantico Arms in VA and she loves the hell out of it.

How hard is it to get a flat black 5" barrel XD in .45ACP with or without (preferably with) night sights?  Evidently impossible.   These guys claim it's 8-12 month wait... probably is... so the followup question:

GF: If we get a transfer done of one without, how much would you guys charge to install the night sights?  
BSR. We don't do Springfields.  
Me: Bullshit, I got mine installed there a few months ago.  Was like $80 for the sights and around $10-20 for the installation.
BSR: We don't do Springfields.  We do have a Smith and Wesson M&P though.
GF: No thanks
Me:   Fuck that, thanks for talking us out of giving you money.

Asshats.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude You are ALL OVER the Spectrum there
BSR intelligent sales people  WTF  IMO POLE SMOKING IDIOTS And STEVE the Head POLE SMOKER is a downright THIEF IMO
Highland Range does have "FUDDS"  However they are cool WAY COOL.  i take 5-6 guys from my crew there bring AR's and Garands for all of us and go to town . Once there was a group of guys with AK's there Everyone there was mag dumping. They were Ok with it. A friend that lives 5 miles away thought a battle had broken out with all the fire power going off
The down side  you never know when the range is closed due to an event, you call no answer the phone, check the web site and its wrong and it is only a 100 yard range
there is the caseyville club with a 200 yard range but its like $250 a year
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Hello From Godfrey Fellow Metro East shooters
Ive bought several items from The Gun Shoppe in Highland, infact I think he just moved his shop into town last month. Anyway, yeah its a bitch to find a decent place to shoot/train around here without the common folks thinking your a domestic terrorist
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#37]
In IL there are two things that are very realistic potential catastrophes that do happen on a regular basis. One is ice storms and the other is tornadoes. They are the really bad things most likely to happen to you in this area of the country and IMO you should focus your efforts on preparations that would help you get through one of those events.

Tornados are short lived problems where you can expect outside help pretty quickly.

Ice storms are a much longer term problem where outside help may be a problem because of the sheer number of people who could be affected and the scope of the problem.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Two words, Bob:  New Madrid.

John
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
New Madrid.

+1 It WILL happen, someday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top