Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:21:28 AM EDT
Sorry if this is a multiple offense repeat thread, I could have sworn Ive seen on in the past but I couldn't find it.  If they are still out there somewhere, please throw up the link while being very verbally abusive and I will be along my way

Anyway, I am trying to find a good public range for rifles.  I cannot stand going to Markham Park - somehow they manage to take every ounce of fun out of shooting.  Limit on number of guns, this, that and the other.  I use it as a last resort but would much prefer to spend my time and money elsewhere if at all possible.  [/rant]

So does anyone know any good outdoor spots I can take an AR15, .45-70 Guide Gun, some handguns and have a safe but fun time?  I dont mind driving a little ways (I am in Coconut Creek), but dont feel like crossing the state.  Any ideas would be appreciated!!  

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
i too have this problem (delray).  i haven't been shooting since i moved down here due to lack of outdoor ranges (i despise shooting indoors).  supposedly there is a lady with land toward the glades that allows people to shoot.  Invite only though and I don't know anyone well enough to ask.  PM me if you do. pretty please.  anyway i hear that indian river is decent but far far away.  

10455 102nd Terrace
Sebastian, FL 32958
(772) 581-4944
5 Stand is open Wed, Thur, Fri 9am - 5pm
Clays is open Saturday and Sunday 9am - 5pm
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
34 views. 1 reply.  That's NOT a good sign!  
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
the only ones i know about are invite only.  and i don't have an invite to any of them.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 2:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunatly South Florida doesnt have many. Besides the ones already mentioned there is the PBSO range which is open 1-2 weekends a month depending on the schedule. It is great for rifles but no pistols. There is also trail glades down in Miami. I have never been there but it is supposed to be decent. The private range out by the glades is Pop Deans hunt club. You must be invited to go there...please dont just show up or the owner will flip out on you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Trailglades is ok.  I dont think there was a limit on guns.  On the rifle range you can also shoot pistols but have to be seated.

You do have to sit through a safety class that lasts about a half hour and they start them up on the hour.  You will only have to do it once though, as they give you a card saying you have done it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Trailglades is ok.  I dont think there was a limit on guns.  On the rifle range you can also shoot pistols but have to be seated.

You do have to sit through a safety class that lasts about a half hour and they start them up on the hour.  You will only have to do it once though, as they give you a card saying you have done it.

Trail Glades is your best and closest range.  They are safe and will accomadate all the arms you have listed.  No rapid fire and one shot every 5 seconds.  A double tap now and then when their are other shooters firing will generally go unnoticed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'll try to get down and check out Trail Glades, sounds like it could be good.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

will this safety class suffice for the training requirement for FL concealed weapons permit?

Edit:  take from the park website (immature, i know) but I found the phrasing funny anyway-

"The Trail Glades Gun Range offers a 7-yard to 100-yard pistol range, a 25 to 100-yard rifle range, five skeet fields, six trap fields, one international skeet field and a 69 position pistol/rifle range. Training classes in basic pistol safety, rifle safety."  whoa...kinda kinky for a gun range....  
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know what the time table is now but the county is supposed to be adding a public range to the existing sheriff's range at some point hopefully in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#10]
IF that happens, it will be a long time coming.....................commissioners did not approve any funding the last time it was brought up.  Their attitude is we do not need to shoot.................just ask Aaronson
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]
 All the more reason to start shooting in your back yard, then when everybody starts crying about safety you can tell them there is nowhere to shoot in South Florida.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.myfwc.com/docs/Safety/CecilWebb_brochure.pdf

http://www.capecoralnews.net/content/view/79/49/

May be a distance from you but GREAT place. I go there often.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#13]
sounds like us on the central west coast have it made.   I lived in coconut creek a few years ago, and Markum was about it.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know what the time table is now but the county is supposed to be adding a public range to the existing sheriff's range at some point hopefully in the near future.

It was supposed to be this year but is pushed back to 2012 due to budget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top