Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2013 8:59:55 AM EDT
Anyone have any feedback for these parts?
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This business is in my town, and I have stopped in and chatted with the owner several times.  They have the same parts as everyone else. ..besides the ones they make in house (can't remember what).

I bought a BCG from REDXARMS and it had an out-of-spec firing pin.  I stopped in to SOTA and picked up an in-spec one that fixed the problem.

Several co-workres and a few relatives have bought their uppers and all are pleased.

I say good to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I stumbled across them a few months back and did some research hoping to hear something good as I like to support local companies when I can. Most of what I read was poor reviews and the number of bad far out weighed the number of good. I saw 2 of their uppers at the gun show in Bloomington a couple weeks back and wasn't overly impressed. I don't own one and haven't shot one so take this information for what it's worth but the conclusion I came to is that a purchase from them is a bigger risk then I am comfortable with.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
They have decent priced uppers  but there pretty basic as for the parts.  I purchased a blkout barrel and its been pretty decent.  but from what i heard there assembled uppers had some headspacing issues or reliability issues.  I went with there stripped barrel and had assembled everything else.  

also back in  october i had ordered a part over the phone and ended up picking it up on my way threw there since it haddnt shipped in 2 weeks.  but they were out of state at a gun show, but should have dropped it in the mail right after i called them  it was just a crush washer .. i had called because to do it online would have been 13 bucks for shipping. on a 2.00 part.  supposedly there tied to own wilton ?? machine  and make the parts for DPMS   you can stop by and check out the store but not mutch to see.  just a big class cabinet with a couple barrels and upper in it back in NOV.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Every one that comes into the shop needs to be fixed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I got all the info I need to know on this in an IM from another member.  Thanks for the reviews, looks like I will steer clear of any future problems with this manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
OK--I want to know numbers and specifics.  I have had FOUR different people have positive experience with SOTA arms...including myself.

What has been bad?

What needs to be fixed?

I was thinking of getting a 6.8 upper from them, but now am wondering.

When I do an internet search on them, I do not get a majority of bad reviews from what I have seen.

Mike, can you pass on that informative IM to me?

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]
IM sent.  usually when you see things priced at a significant discount to the market there is a catch.  Since I am already dealing with a 6.8 issue with Stag Arms on my rifle (cue Fugazi Waiting Room) I see no reason in rolling the dice with any new AR builds moving forward.  The amount of money I would waste on ammo testing with a rifle that has a tight chamber (for example) isn't worth it to me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the IM and see a different side.

I, too have waited to buy a SOTA upper for more feedback.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the stripped uppers any good?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is my experience with them. My wife had just built her first lower and we were at a gun show looking for a upper for here build.Sota had a upper just like she wanted, but it had just sold. The guy there said they could build her one, and she would have it in a week. The one feature she wanted most was a quad rail upper so she could add her dark earth rail covers, she was pretty clear about this. Ok 2 weeks go by, no upper. I called them to see whats up, kinda got the feeling they forgot her order. I reordered the upper like she wanted, emphasizing the quad rail! 1 week later i open the package on my doorstep, it was the wrong upper, just a smooth aluminum tube, no quad rail.I immediately called them and they appoligized and said they would send the quad rail version out right away, with a return shipping.box for the wrong one.Three days go buy and there is another upper on my doorstep. I almost had a stroke when i opened it to find it was the wrong upper again! I aam embarrased to say it now, but i snapped ,i left them a horrible mean message since they didnt answer. I got a call a hr later from the owner, telling me how sorry he was.The guy said. He would personally send out our upper, but did mention the one i jus received and the one ihad on the way would both have 5r rifling. Which is usually a more $ option..3 days go by and i finally get the right upper, i now have 3 of their uppers in my possesion and a bunch of zombie targets they sent to smooth things over.I decided to keep both 5r uppers, send back the third, and pay the difference. If it is any conselation, both uppers look, function and shoot fantastic, sub moa for sure. You guys can draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Sub-moa?

You must post details.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]
It's been a long time since I posted here but I have to say something in this. Every manufacture makes a mistake here and there. What's important is how they own up to it. I have had nothing but great product  with Sota Arms and have not seen anything to the contrary. I have seen nothing but quality parts, barrels and Colette uppers. There prices have been fair and they stand behind what they make.  People will generally only post bad experiences,
Not what works. Give them a chance and I'm sure that you will like what they have to offer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top