Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:23:04 PM EDT
ok, here we go.  I'm sure many of you heard that I just moved here from Oregon.  Oregon is considered a cash and carry state, so basically I could grab any one of my firearms and run to the next door neighbor, sell it for a quick buck, and not have to worry about any paperwork.  So long as it's a private party sale.  So my question is this:  How does a guy sell a firearm here in MN?  Same way, or is it a must to use an FFL?  I'm trying to offload my MAK, but don't want to do it in an illegal fashion.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No answers???
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
i don't know about handguns, but I think as far as long arms go..as long as they wouldn't require a permit to purchase to buy, I think p2P sales are good to go...

Of course, it's always a good thing to check and see if they have a permit to purchase and/or a carry permit...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
As you said, its always good to be careful.  Read through the laws and make sure you understand them to a point with which you are totally comfortable--if you still don't, ask a lawyer to further clarify.  In reality, we are mostly guys with opinions here and you know what that is worth.....      
Having said that, IMHO, in  the "execptions" section of the above posted laws are the rules that make it possible for face to face transactions between two private citizens without FFLs.  HOWEVER there are still rules, at least to my understanding, that need to be followed.    Strawman purchases are illegal, even if some time elapses between the inital purchase and a private sale.   If you are buying a weapon for someone else it is illegal and if you are buying the weapon with the sole intention of reselling it, that is also illegal.   It is illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to a minor or to a convicted felon.  And, it is my understanding, that the ATF will view the frequent buying and selling of firearms at a profit as an activity needing an ffl--even if you might consider those sales "private face to face" transactions.  

Good luck in your sale....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Minnesota Law on AW and pistol transfers

Thanks for the link.  Very helpful!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I generally only do a private sale to someone whom I know personally or have seen a copy of their CCW, Purchase permit and DL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I generally only do a private sale to someone whom I know personally or have seen a copy of their CCW, Purchase permit and DL.

This is the only way I do transactions with a private sale
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer dark alleys and highway rest stops.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Isnt that where they just had the crack down on male.............................................
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isnt that where they just had the crack down on male.............................................

I usually look for the lot lizards
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is that you who left all that DNA Evidence at the Rest Stop between Anoka and Elk River
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:33:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that you who left all that DNA Evidence at the Rest Stop between Anoka and Elk River

Define "DNA evidence".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top