Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2012 10:13:16 PM EDT
I am moving to Vermont from NYS (thank god) in the next week, and as a present to myself wanted to buy a handgun or eight.. I was searching around a shop in the area I was moving, engaged in a conversation with the man behind the counter and was told I'd have to wait 6 months before I could purchase a handgun. Now, I've searched endlessly through Google and numerous other sites and forums and couldn't find anything whether local, state or federal level that require 180 days from becoming a "resident" to purchase. Even reading the state laws over and over I interpreted it as stating "if you have a Vermont license.. you can purchase a handgun." I have checked www.handgunlaw.us and it has no information on a set time, if any.

I realize it may have been his personal policy and I am trying a couple other places (like there's many..) in the general area to see if they'll tell me anything different. I've heard some states requiring 90 days in state to prove you're there to stay, but I'd assume if the state is sure enough to give me a license (and kind enough collect my inspection\registration fees, and taxes) I'm probably going to stay for a while. If this is the case, then I will consider doing a "private sale" as long as myself and the other party weren't breaking any laws.

Does anyone know of any laws regarding this? I'd rather not finally have the chance to exercise my full Second Amendment rights and put myself at risk.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but considering this is the New England forum I figured someone would be able to shed some light to me or at least be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am moving to Vermont from NYS (thank god) in the next week, and as a present to myself wanted to buy a handgun or eight.. I was searching around a shop in the area I was moving, engaged in a conversation with the man behind the counter and was told I'd have to wait 6 months before I could purchase a handgun. Now, I've searched endlessly through Google and numerous other sites and forums and couldn't find anything whether local, state or federal level that require 180 days from becoming a "resident" to purchase. Even reading the state laws over and over I interpreted it as stating "if you have a Vermont license.. you can purchase a handgun." I have checked www.handgunlaw.us and it has no information on a set time, if any.

I realize it may have been his personal policy and I am trying a couple other places (like there's many..) in the general area to see if they'll tell me anything different. I've heard some states requiring 90 days in state to prove you're there to stay, but I'd assume if the state is sure enough to give me a license (and kind enough collect my inspection\registration fees, and taxes) I'm probably going to stay for a while. If this is the case, then I will consider doing a "private sale" as long as myself and the other party weren't breaking any laws.

Does anyone know of any laws regarding this? I'd rather not finally have the chance to exercise my full Second Amendment rights and put myself at risk.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but considering this is the New England forum I figured someone would be able to shed some light to me or at least be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

if you have a VT ID you can guy one from what i know.  i am not 100% on the VT laws so i may be wrong.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard of any of that.

Get your VT license and buy whatever you want.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.  All they need to see is a Vt drivers license
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The only 90 day state residency requirement that I'm aware of is a federal regulation that only affects aliens and is in the process of being repealed. In any case if you are a U.S. citizen it would not apply to you in VT or any other state where you established residency.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2011/12/122211-atf-open-letter-state-of-residence.pdf

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  All they need to see is a Vt drivers license

Absolutely.  Where was this that you were told this?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I thank you all for your replies, and I'll be giving someone else my business if they don't want my money. Again, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws.

Quoted:
Absolutely.  Where was this that you were told this?

I was told this at Marty's Gun Shop in Bennington (http://www.martyssportinggoods.com/). I've looked for FFLs in the area, at least until I get settled, and there aren't many choices. The only other ones I'm aware of are "Charles H Wells Guns & Ammo," and "Lost Target Shooting Supplies" but I can never find the later open.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah. And welcome to Vermont! !
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My advise; Forget about that conversation, move there, get your VT ID with new VT address, and go in there and buy some guns. Don't mention whatever he was telling you before.

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Jim Logan of "Lost Target" works a day job for the Bureau of Mines. Best time to get him is evenings and weekends. He's also a stocking Hornady dealer. Very nice guy to do business with. Also, for a place to shoot, try Hale Mountain Rod and Gun Club in Shaftsbury. We've got a 500 yard rifle range and a 25 yard pistol pit, along with trap and 5 stand.

Vermont only has the two gun laws, and they are Game and Fish regulations.
1. No loaded rifles in a motor vehicle.
2. No suppressors.

Other than that, we're good to go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Again, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws.

For some unexplained reason gun stores seem to be the #1 source of misinformation regarding both guns and gun laws.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:33:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to VT... Fleeing NY is understandable..

Once you get your VT drivers licence, you are good to purchase pistols or long guns. Must be 21 for pistols...
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to VT. if you were more north I'd take you out shooting.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jim Logan of "Lost Target" works a day job for the Bureau of Mines. Best time to get him is evenings and weekends. He's also a stocking Hornady dealer. Very nice guy to do business with. Also, for a place to shoot, try Hale Mountain Rod and Gun Club in Shaftsbury. We've got a 500 yard rifle range and a 25 yard pistol pit, along with trap and 5 stand..

Lost Target was on my list of places to go, and I actually was able to go and talk to him for about an hour last night. Really nice guy and nice shop, he has everything I'm looking to purchase and I can imagine being one of his best customers as soon as I get settled in..haha. As for Hale Mountain, that also was first on my list of places to apply as I'm currently spoiled by an incredible range with a 300yd rifle, 50 and 25yd rifle\handgun, and a trap field. I was unable to make their monthly meeting last Monday, but I will get the time off next week so I can go and get an application\meet some people.

Quoted:
For some unexplained reason gun stores seem to be the #1 source of misinformation regarding both guns and gun laws.

Hah, you're not kidding.. I've seen the way most of these shops in NY try to interpret and misinform customers on the laws (especially when it comes to preban rifles and magazines and the AWB), but thankfully we have the internet and places like this where people for the most part do know (unless they're having a bad morning )

@blackhawkhunter, pickupdan, and theskuh: Thank you all for the welcomes. I also appreciate the offer "theskuh," maybe someday our paths will cross as I will frequently be traveling through Vermont, mainly between Rutland and Bennington.

Thanks again everyone for the information!
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#14]
The suppressor law in VT is not a Fish and Game Law.  It is under the criminal Statutes in Title 13.  The loaded rifle in a vehicle is a Fish and Game Law unter Title 10.  

There is actually an attempt to change the law for possession for all lawful purposes.  We need to get on this to have it changed or the bill will die in committee.  Go to the legislative section of the VT State website and search for the bill.  Then e-maill everyone involved.  There is no good reason to prohibit possession and use of a sound suppressor.  

Mike
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The suppressor law in VT is not a Fish and Game Law.  It is under the criminal Statutes in Title 13.  The loaded rifle in a vehicle is a Fish and Game Law unter Title 10.  

There is actually an attempt to change the law for possession for all lawful purposes.  We need to get on this to have it changed or the bill will die in committee.  Go to the legislative section of the VT State website and search for the bill.  Then e-maill everyone involved.  There is no good reason to prohibit possession and use of a sound suppressor.  

Mike

It is in the criminal statutes, but the legislative motivation that predicated it at the time of passage involved protecting game animals from being poached.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Mike

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/status/summary.cfm?Bill=H.0244&Session=2012
 h.244

There are only a few people on the bill.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

h.244

Once I get settled in I'd be more than willing to send some e-mails\phone calls once I can find out whom to send them to, but from the looks of things that's more than a year and a half old. I wonder if they've touched it recently? I'd say I could try to get some other people to contact them as well, but so far I haven't found anyone that even hunts, let alone shoots. I figured I'd see at least one person OC'ing, but hell I've yet to even see someone CC'ing; which I'm pretty good at spotting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

h.244

Once I get settled in I'd be more than willing to send some e-mails\phone calls once I can find out whom to send them to, but from the looks of things that's more than a year and a half old. I wonder if they've touched it recently? I'd say I could try to get some other people to contact them as well, but so far I haven't found anyone that even hunts, let alone shoots. I figured I'd see at least one person OC'ing, but hell I've yet to even see someone CC'ing; which I'm pretty good at spotting.

I have never seen an open carrier.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike

h.244

I have never seen an open carrier.

Me ether, lots of pocket carry. I really don't think a lot of people here carry.  a lot of the people I know have it in the glove box or under the seat of the car etc. if they are carrying it is an LCp in the pocket.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't see many either and I have a lot of contact with people in the Upper Valley Area.  I was over in Montpelier once and saw a male in front of my wife and I at the checkout.  I noticed his Glock (19, 23, or 32) on his right, a double mag pouch on his left, and what looked like a Glock fixed blade knife.  He carried himself well, dressed clean, seem to have a decent situational awareness...ie a responsible person and no flags went up in my mind (just a first, outside of a gun show, for a large fixed bade knife).  Nobody else in line or coming and going seemed to care (I doubt they noticed...so many like that around here).

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top