Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 8:45:16 AM EDT
Taking my son to St. Louis this afternoon. Tomorrow he will get on a plane for Ft Sill, OK. for Army - Basic Training. His going to be a medic.

His Mom and I are super proud of him. He graduated mid year, because he wanted to get there and get going. Way to go Jacob!

God Bless all our military men and women!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank him for all of us.
The very best of luck to him.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for him!  I'm sure he'll make you very proud.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank him for all of us.

this
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank him for all of us.

this
+1

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
+2

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank him for all of us.

this
+1

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell him thank you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell him I said thank you also. My youngest son leaves on the 17th for basic in Texas. He is going Air Force Intelligence.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it too late for him to switch to the AF?

Nahh.... Congrats he will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
God Speed and thank him for his service!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell him after he calls home first time from basic to hang tough cause basic trainng isn't what the Army is. Least that's what my son would tell him. The lowest point in his life was midway through basic. There's a weekend he will get leave. I drove to Fort Benning, Ga to get him off base. We got a hotel, saw what little there is to see off base, walked the malls, took in a movie and fed him pretty good. It was the saddest weekend I can remember spending with him. He'd sit and eat just staring. I reckon that's the thousand yard stare you here about because physically he was there and mentally he was way, way off some place. Then a week or so later I get a call and he's the happiest kid in the world. Ask what's up and he replies we are past the bullshit and now we are doing real Army stuff.
The whole family went down for graduation. Will never forget walking into a McDonalds in Mount Vernon, Illinois. He was in uniform of course, every one thanking him for his service. He looked at the kids behind McD's counter and said to us, everyone one of those kids should be in the Army. They're wasting time here.

3 incredible Iraq tours later he's soon to be out. He's tentatively accepted an offer from a major defense contractor.

There's opportunity in the Army, if your son will stay on the look out. Folks on the outside want what the Army will give him.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
yes, thank him for me too. And I agree, Army, Air Force (which I know about). And I suspect the two others all are the same in basic in the fact that they are trying to weed out the moma's boy type that cant take a little pressure and break up. Also this is suppose to be a way to break everyone down to a given level then build them up as a team. Never will forget the first night. We had to grab our mattresses and stand with them in the latrine shouting "Team Work Sir". Must have been a good hour before our drill sarge told us to get some sleep.

Just tell him to expect brain games and just deal with it. Good luck to your son..
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
yes, thank him for me too. And I agree, Army, Air Force (which I know about). And I suspect the two others all are the same in basic in the fact that they are trying to weed out the moma's boy type that cant take a little pressure and break up. Also this is suppose to be a way to break everyone down to a given level then build them up as a team. Never will forget the first night. We had to grab our mattresses and stand with them in the latrine shouting "Team Work Sir". Must have been a good hour before our drill sarge told us to get some sleep.

Just tell him to expect brain games and just deal with it. Good luck to your son..

Basic is there to weed out the pussies and mentally unbalanced. We had cry for attention types trying to kill themselves with dull scissors and retard wanna be escapees within the first week.

I couldn't quite get how the hell people thought it was that bad..... Sure I was tired, but I ate for free and got in shape.

Tech school is where they weed out the morons and send them to less mentally tasking career fields.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats.

Please thank him for his service for me.
-Steve
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tell him I said thank you also. My youngest son leaves on the 17th for basic in Texas. He is going Air Force Intelligence.

Good for him!  Tell him I am thankful for his service also!  

Also,
Thanks everyone!

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#15]
We had a guy start crying the first day screaming for his momma.  He cost our platoon more pushups than anything else combined.  Just tell him not to be "that guy" and he'll be fine.  It's been twenty years and I still remember that assholes name!  It's gotten to be pussified now anyway.  If your son doesn't have downs syndrome he should do fine.  Let us know when he graduates.  He'll have cool stories that he will remember for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats to your son

Serve the U.S. of A. proud.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank him for his service from me too!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank your son for his service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top