Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 8:15:47 PM EST
Me and a buddy are fixing to come down to Arizona from Colorado for spring break. We're looking to go out shooting at some open grass lands/national forest type areas, like Pawnee Grasslands in CO. Just wide open, allowed to shoot, etc. Any useful information on good places to shoot would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:53:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2005 8:03:39 AM EST by 223-Buckaroo]

Where in AZ will you be ? Phoenix ? Tucson?

Edited to add:

The Tonto National Forest is great for recreational shooting.... but there are a few restricted areas.

here is a link and a map:

www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/shooting/

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:19:15 AM EST
We will be in Tempe so pretty much Phoenix. I was just looking at that same map for Tonto last night, and I think that's what we're all about. What are the restrictions on weapons there? We all have pre-ban weapons. Does that matter? What about carrying a sidearm while we're kind of trekking through the forest? Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:29:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2005 11:32:01 AM EST by 223-Buckaroo]

Originally Posted By ArmyADub:
We will be in Tempe so pretty much Phoenix. I was just looking at that same map for Tonto last night, and I think that's what we're all about. What are the restrictions on weapons there? We all have pre-ban weapons. Does that matter? What about carrying a sidearm while we're kind of trekking through the forest? Thanks for the info

You're good with prebans, postbans, no-bans, suppressed, full-auto, whatever. (as long as it's a legally owned weapon !)

AZ is an open carry state as well... you can walk down the street in Tempe with your sidearm (in a holster) if you wish. In other words, you are fine to carry in the forest.

A place that a lot of us go in the Tonto forest is a place called Sycamore creek.... Basically head out of Mesa on Hwy 87 (the Bee-Line Hwy). Go 20-25 miles and you'll see a right turn to go towards Saguaro lake. Stay on Hwy 87, and the first possible left hand turn after that intersection will get you to the Syscamore Creek area. The turn is actually just a cross over the Hwy, and it's kinda hard to see, so look for the yellow sign indicating the turn. Once you're there, there are plenty of places to shoot along the main road, which runs for a couple miles down to a river wash. There are lots of places along the river wash to shoot as well.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:42:54 AM EST
And PLEASE for GAWDS sake

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF.

Me and a friend go out to that spot frequently and every time we clean up after ourselves and usually take out 3 to 4 large garbage bags of everyone else's shit that they decide to shoot up and leave out there.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:52:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Boog:
And PLEASE for GAWDS sake

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF.

Me and a friend go out to that spot frequently and every time we clean up after ourselves and usually take out 3 to 4 large garbage bags of everyone else's shit that they decide to shoot up and leave out there.

A BIG +1
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:56:54 AM EST
Roger. Will do, thanks for all the good advice, and inviting out-of-staters to your shooting spots.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:02:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By 223-Buckaroo:

You're good with prebans, postbans, no-bans, suppressed, full-auto, whatever. (as long as it's a legally owned weapon !)

AZ is an open carry state as well... you can walk down the street in Tempe with your sidearm (in a holster) if you wish. In other words, you are fine to carry in the forest.
A place that a lot of us go in the Tonto forest is a place called Sycamore creek.... Basically head out of Mesa on Hwy 87 (the Bee-Line Hwy). Go 20-25 miles and you'll see a right turn to go towards Saguaro lake. Stay on Hwy 87, and the first possible left hand turn after that intersection will get you to the Syscamore Creek area. The turn is actually just a cross over the Hwy, and it's kinda hard to see, so look for the yellow sign indicating the turn. Once you're there, there are plenty of places to shoot along the main road, which runs for a couple miles down to a river wash. There are lots of places along the river wash to shoot as well.

223-Buckaroo

So if I am a tourist in Az, just traveling thru, I can strap on my pistol and walk thru town?

Totally amazing for someone from the north east US, that would get me and my dog shot in the PRNJ!

Rich V

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:12:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By Rich_V:

223-Buckaroo

So if I am a tourist in Az, just traveling thru, I can strap on my pistol and walk thru town?
Totally amazing for someone from the north east US, that would get me and my dog shot in the PRNJ!

Rich V

Yep, you sure can. The law states that "a portion of the holster" must be visible. If you want to conceal your weapon, you have to have a CCW permit. Arizona will issue permits to non-residents as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:26:46 AM EST

You might what to watch it on Downtown Mill Ave. Tempe HAD it posted for no weapons on the weekends I don't know if they still do anymore. FYI
Top Top