Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 3:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 3:42:57 PM EDT by Paul]
I will be living in Los Angeles for about 6 months, and I was wondering if there are any good shooting ranges (rifle and/or pistol) that rent out a good variety of firearms, because i obvioulsy can't bring my own. Will i have to join? Do you need to have a California handgun permit to rent and shoot a pistol at a range in California? What about AR's? thanks for the help. -Dave
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:33:05 PM EDT
I'd like to see The Sarges take on that Post.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:38:34 PM EDT
Which part of Los Angeles. it's 10,000sq miles. 'Firing Line' is an ok indoor range with rentals in Nrothridge and I think Pasadena.
There's another similar indoor range next to Van Nuys Airport, but the name escapes me at the moment.
Oak Tree Gun Club is a nice facility between the San Fernando Valley and the Santa Clarita Valley, in north L.A.
I don't know if Angeles Range rents, but it's an awesome outdoor facility.

And despite all the demonization, there's no such thing as a 'Handgun Permit' in CA, unlike some Northeastern States. Not to shoot, anyway.
There's a 'handgun Safety Certificate / test you have to complete to BUY a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:41:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:12:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 4:14:05 PM EDT by DaveM4P99]
awesome thanks for the replies.

I will be in Burbank, but i would still be willing to drive an hour or so (traffic permitting) for a good rental range. i would love a range with a lot of good handgun rentals.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:24:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 5:26:34 PM EDT by Mall-Ninja]

Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:
awesome thanks for the replies.

I will be in Burbank, but i would still be willing to drive an hour or so (traffic permitting) for a good rental range. i would love a range with a lot of good handgun rentals.

Perfect. The Firing Line has a branch in Burbank (in addition to Huntington Beach and Northridge).

Try to stay OUT of LA City limits, 'cause they tend to treat law abiding gun enthusiasts like criminals (more so than elsewhere in this crazy state). In order to purchase ammo (may be handgun only, but it may include rifle/shotgun as well) within city limits, you need to give a thumbprint, and they copy your DL. This includes if you're renting at a range. MF'ers.......

ETA: Angeles does NOT rent. You do NOT need a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) to rent guns. HOWEVER, you WILL need to bring a friend along with you (since you're not bringing your guns), or they will NOT let you rent. Insurance policy dicates this. Too many people in the past have rented a gun, bought some bullets, then used the very last one on themselves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:32:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 10:15:56 PM EDT by Skammy]
The Firing Line in Burbank doesn't have a good selection of guns to rent Glock, Sigma, P90.. not much more..

I havn't been to LAX indoor shooting range in a year or two but they had a much nicer selection by far, just go when its not busy or its no fun.. Don't know if they will rent to you since your alone..

Originally Posted By Paul:

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
ETA: Angeles does NOT rent. You do NOT need a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) to rent guns. HOWEVER, you WILL need to bring a friend along with you (since you're not bringing your guns), or they will NOT let you rent. Insurance policy dicates this. Too many people in the past have rented a gun, bought some bullets, then used the very last one on themselves.

I saw the same thing five years ago up in Seatle after a couple of idiots killed themselves in seperate shootings at ranges up there.

Someone did it in the Burbank Firing Line maybe 2 years ago I think
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:13:38 PM EDT
hey Dave, I will be out there come sept 1st. Get your own ammo and you can join me at the range and shoot some of my stuff. send IM if interested
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:36:30 PM EDT
There's Tha L.A. GUN CLUB in down town L.A> they have a good selection of gun rentals there, the other good think is that u can bring your own amo for 4 dollars more on the lane fee. The bad part is they open till 3PM M-THUR and at 12NOON F-SUN.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:21:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GNMN:
There's Tha L.A. GUN CLUB in down town L.A> they have a good selection of gun rentals there, the other good think is that u can bring your own amo for 4 dollars more on the lane fee. The bad part is they open till 3PM M-THUR and at 12NOON F-SUN.

Uh, it's 4 dollars OFF the lane fee if you buy a box of their ammo. If you rent, you have to use their ammo in the gun....

And it's open late. WAY later than I'd expect for place with guns in downtown LA......
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:24:26 PM EDT
Posted by Mall-Ninja
Uh, it's 4 dollars OFF the lane fee if you buy a box of their ammo. If you rent, you have to use their ammo in the gun....

And it's open late. WAY later than I'd expect for place with guns in downtown LA......

yeah if u buy ammo there the lane is $8 dollars if u take your own ammo it's $12 dollars.
late is cool for people who get out of work late i guess?
Top Top