Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:57:22 PM EDT
So I've thought about moving to Florida before.
We are watching real estate auctions on TV right now, they are selling a nice house, 3/1.5, for $39,000 on SW 2nd st in Ocala. This is just an example, we see tons of cheap houses in FL on this auction site. So my mother says "gee, there must be something wrong with the area". So does anybody know, why is real estate seem cheap in FL? As an example, is that house above in a bad area?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We are watching real estate auctions on TV right now, they are selling a nice house, 3/1.5, for $39,000 on SW 2nd st in Ocala. This is just an example, we see tons of cheap houses in FL on this auction site. So my mother says "gee, there must be something wrong with the area". So does anybody know, why is real estate seem cheap in FL? As an example, is that house above in a bad area?
View Quote

Like everywhere else, there are many factors that determine prices.  Ocala is about 4 hours from where I am so I can't specifically speak to the area.  I do know it's a few hours from any major city.  Question to you OP.  What are you looking for exactly?  That house in Ocala is most likely on septic & well.  What year was the house built, what's the condition?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Like everywhere else, there are many factors that determine prices.  Ocala is about 4 hours from where I am so I can't specifically speak to the area.  I do know it's a few hours from any major city.  Question to you OP.  What are you looking for exactly?  That house in Ocala is most likely on septic & well.  What year was the house built, what's the condition?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a bad thing? I've never lived in a house that wasn't on well & septic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's a bad thing.  Just make sure that it is a deep well.  I've seen a lot of shallow wells and in the dry season wells dry up........
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Location, location, location.  As stated above... Ocala has economics at both ends of the spectrum... so I think you can figure this one out...
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Was it an infomercial? Prices are climbing on real estate again.

I am 1.5 hrs south and 39k would not buy you tar paper shack here.

But looks like there are homes in that price range on the MLS.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't think it's a bad thing.  Just make sure that it is a deep well.  I've seen a lot of shallow wells and in the dry season wells dry up........

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing I hate about wells around here is the smell of the water and the brown stains it leaves on everything. Filter system takes care of it...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
While prices ate still lower then the peak,  when your taking about really low prices they ate in higher crime areas.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Location, location, location.  As stated above... Ocala has economics at both ends of the spectrum... so I think you can figure this one out...
View Quote

That be West Ocala IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was it an infomercial? Prices are climbing on real estate again.

I am 1.5 hrs south and 39k would not buy you tar paper shack here.

But looks like there are homes in that price range on the MLS.
View Quote

It is called aantv.com
We watch it on Direct TV sattellite. I think they only sell in florida and it is live auctions. We are amazed at how cheap it is. We live in Oregon, wich is a pretty shitty place it's self. Here an old mobile home on 4 acres is $480,000. I'm a veteran and the best job I can get is $10/hour. I've thought about moving someplace warm, hawaii, florida, mexico, ect.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The only thing I hate about wells around here is the smell of the water and the brown stains it leaves on everything. Filter system takes care of it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well water about 15 miles from me is where "zephyrhills bottled water" comes from. never hurts to check it out before you buy.
i grew up on clean clear well water, and can't stand the smell or taste of the city water where i live.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the house number is lower than about 4000 (i.e. 3849 sw 2nd st.) I would stay away..... unless you want to live close to your friendly neighborhood crack dealer.

There are a lot of places around here that can be bought cheap and still be in a good area. Foreclosure auctions are one of the best places to look. I recently looked at one that worth around $90k go for $32k and another worth around $120k go for $34k. It all depends what you are looking for.

Here are a few very general demographics:
Southeast/southwest Ocala tends to be middle - upper class.
Northeast lower to middle class.
West/northwest horse farms with a mix of lower to upper classes.
Far east (Ocala National Forest) middle class to meth-heads.

Here's a link to the Marion County Property Appraiser's Website to give you a rough idea of home values in a certain area.
ETA: Marion County Foreclosure Auction

If you are looking at something specific, let me know and I can give you a good idea of what the area is like.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]
My company buys 3 bedroom houses in Liberty City for 39k. So, yeah...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a reason that Real Estate is cheap and it is not good.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#16]
You can get a 3/2 house for 30k, and you can get a 2/2 condo in the millions. As others have stated it just depends on where in FL. The rural areas can be really cheap and the nicer parts of the larger cities can be crazy expensive, especially on or near the water. You can also spend quite a bit in the "rural" areas getting into areas big in horses, fly in communities, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If the house number is lower than about 4000 (i.e. 3849 sw 2nd st.) I would stay away..... unless you want to live close to your friendly neighborhood crack dealer.

There are a lot of places around here that can be bought cheap and still be in a good area. Foreclosure auctions are one of the best places to look. I recently looked at one that worth around $90k go for $32k and another worth around $120k go for $34k. It all depends what you are looking for.

Here's a link to the Marion County Property Appraiser's Website to give you a rough idea of home values in a certain area.

If you are looking at something specific, let me know and I can give you a good idea of what the area is like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey....not all of us in the ONF are crack heads.......

LOL

Though my wife says I am at times LOL

Like posted....you'll go from ghetto flop home for 40 k....to 350 k home in 2 minutes drive

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Cheap and Florida don't go together, at least not here in the Tampa area.
For that price you get what you pay for along with some real nice neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This seems about accurate. I bought a property last year In Ocala National forest. About 6 acres to be exact (CHEAP). I find out that a mile away there is a meth head community. WTF!! Luckily they don't really bother anyone. Now I wonder if this is why it was cheap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This seems about accurate. I bought a property last year In Ocala National forest. About 6 acres to be exact (CHEAP). I find out that a mile away there is a meth head community. WTF!! Luckily they don't really bother anyone. Now I wonder if this is why it was cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a lake place up in Salt springs in ONF. We're 2.5 miles off the highway on a one way in or out limerock road. Small lake community of 30 homes. Neighbor just snagged a solid 2/2 CB on a 100' by100' lot there for $16K. Rippin deal!

No one in our little community remembers there ever being a burglary or any violent crime. I guess crooks don't like having only one escape route.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We have a lake place up in Salt springs in ONF. We're 2.5 miles off the highway on a one way in or out limerock road. Small lake community of 30 homes. Neighbor just snagged a solid 2/2 CB on a 100' by100' lot there for $16K. Rippin deal!

No one in our little community remembers there ever being a burglary or any violent crime. I guess crooks don't like having only one escape route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of lil "villages " out there...especially around the lakes (Buck /beakman etc)  and places west of salt springs off 88 and towards 314. Some look interesting to say the least.
My lil town ain't bad ...but has its crime...mostly drug (Meth /pills)  or break ins. But nothing like what'd you'd see in town.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top