Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/7/2004 5:12:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:52:32 PM EST
Ouch.. lets hope that none of those see the light of day. Seriously mandatory certification for gun owners? WTF Is that. man I love NY, but these bull gun laws are getting old fast
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:39:46 AM EST
Ok, I'm probably going to get some flames on this one, but I've got my Nomex underwear on ;)

IMHO the last one isn't such a bad idea, at least in spirit. I was a bit suprised when putting in my pistol permit application, that there is no required training at all. There is a safety course that is offered, but it is entirely optional. We all can agree that some amount of education is necessary when carrying a firearm, and I don't have a problem with it being made mandatory. Now, I do see the opportunity for abuse, especially since the bill is written as requiring a test and not just education. The test could be made very difficult to pass or the education course could be very difficult to attend. Though as I said, I agree with the spirit of the law and it would have to be crafted to not be oppressive. Something along the lines of the way the Hunter Safety courses are handled today would seem sensible. There's an NRA Basic Pistol course about once a month somewhere in my general area, so having that satisfy the requirement would make sense.

The bill specifically exempts police & retired police from this requirement, I would also extend that to those with military service. Basically, I don't have a problem with a law that ensures that those who own firearms have some concept of how to safely use them.

Flame on!

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:43:51 AM EST
none of them are of any concern unless kitty get's elected
Top Top