Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:59:04 PM EDT
I was watching TV and an alert came on saying the alert system has been activated. Then I heard sirens outside. Keep in mind that it did not say it was a test on TV. It gave me a good scare.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was watching TV and an alert came on saying the alert system has been activated. Then I heard sirens outside. Keep in mind that it did not say it was a test on TV. It gave me a good scare.

Noon, the first Wednesday of every month is when the sirens are tested.  I believe Tarrant County does theirs at noon on the first Saturday.

mm
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, it kind of spooked me because it did not say it was a test, the first thing I thought was ...ZOMBIES
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
so the sirens are supposed to be on normally? and they only turned them off briefly?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so the sirens are supposed to be on normally? and they only turned them off briefly?

Right !

More cities and towns do have a normal tests weekly, usually at noon time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right !

More cities and towns do have a normal tests weekly, usually at noon time.

that went over your head....

ON = always on, 24/7...
OFF = they stopped, cut power, etc., briefly...

English Language: -1
Ebonics/slang: +1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I always thought it was at 13:00 every first wednesday.... it was yesterday in Carrollton...
but yes, I was a little freaked out during yesterday's test because they sounded, then paused for a few seconds and sounded again.... the pause/repeat was unusual.

Seems like mid-day first wednesday of the month would be a good time for someone with ill-intent to do something.

ETA: when I was in High School, one of my buddy's mom was from scotland... and every first wednesday she would just about come unglued.... seems the sirens reminded her of some childhood trips to bomb shelters and stuff.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always thought it was at 13:00 every first wednesday.... it was yesterday in Carrollton...
but yes, I was a little freaked out during yesterday's test because they sounded, then paused for a few seconds and sounded again.... the pause/repeat was unusual.

Seems like mid-day first wednesday of the month would be a good time for someone with ill-intent to do something.

ETA: when I was in High School, one of my buddy's mom was from scotland... and every first wednesday she would just about come unglued.... seems the sirens reminded her of some childhood trips to bomb shelters and stuff.  

those sounds do have a way of making me feel nervous, probably form movies etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top