Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2007 6:01:15 PM EDT
I'm moving back south.  We've picked Raleigh, Charlotte or Charleston, SC to move to, it just depends on where the best job offers come in from.

Anyway, where are the black-rifle freindly ranges in these area's?  Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/14/2007 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Not Charlotte.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Charlotte Rifle and Pistal club has a great Range.  it is right outside of charlotte off hwy 521.

it is not the easist club to join but they have a nice ranges.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
There are several nice ranges around Raleigh.  Sir Walter, SSI, Frank's, DPRC.  But, there are other reasons not to move here.  Obnoxious taxes, population growth has outpaced the area's ability to adapt, not very gunfriendly (at least not titleii weapon friendly)....  

Link Posted: 2/15/2007 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Obnoxious taxes?  Try Ohio!!  Especially Cuyahoga county!  We pay the taxes for the rest of the state and get poop in return.  Extremely corrupt.  Anyway.. Thanks for the responses.  The situation sounds the same.. few good ranges that are easily accessable.

I hope you guys just aren't thinking I'm anohter damn yankee coming south.. !!
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Obnoxious taxes?  Try Ohio!!  Especially Cuyahoga county!  We pay the taxes for the rest of the state and get poop in return.  Extremely corrupt.  Anyway.. Thanks for the responses.  The situation sounds the same.. few good ranges that are easily accessable.

I hope you guys just aren't thinking I'm anohter damn yankee coming south.. !!

I'm a damn Yankee who came south.  And yeah, the taxes are obnoxious.  The total income tax may be less, but they nickel and dime you with the various property taxes.  It's actually higher than Michigan.  I have paid property taxes on my dog for the last four years.

So you're a hairy nut?
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#6]
South Carolina or bust!

Much more gun friendly, lower taxes, less crime.

Heading there myself in a month or two!
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
South Carolina or bust!

Much more gun friendly, lower taxes, less crime.

Heading there myself in a month or two!having
I lived in Raleigh for several years, and then Charlotte for several years, then last yr moved to SC. I'm not a lawyer, but from what I've read gun laws as follows:

NC: Open carry allowed, no permit required, except not recommended in metro areas, recommend getting CCW if you want to carry. In the car, must be in open, not concealed, unless permitted to do so. If you do have a CCW, then it is reciprocated (as we speak now) by many more states than SC www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/image.php?stateimage=65

SC: Open carry not allowed under any circumstances in public view, must have a CCW to carry, and then has to be concealed. W/out permit you may carry in a closed compartment, as opposed to open on the seat in NC, so I kind of like that. Less reciprocity of CCW from other states (be sure to close other NC window from packing.org, or it won't refresh the map and it will look the same: www.packing.org/state/south_carolina/image.php?stateimage=79

Buying firearms: Living close to the NC border, I find the prices in Charlotte range from *slightly better* to *significantly better* for most new purchases, compared to upsate SC, I assume because of more competition. Maybe larger cities like Greenville/Spartanburg have more similar competition than Charlotte, but seems like the dealers around here know that if you buy in Charlotte you get hit w/ $20+ shipping and $25+ FFL to get handguns, so their prices are roughly $50+ higher than whatever Charlotte sets their prices at. Just my opinion/observation...

I would agree with lower taxes and less crime, although some utilities are higher, like Electric and Water/Sewer, at least in my area. Don't regret moving here, just saying some things are different, some are the same.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
To add to my above post, I did hear a trainer tell me that general handgun laws were better in SC, compared to NC. He didn't elaborate, but aside from what I said above about NC having MUCH more reciprocation currently for CCW, he said that SC had better justified shooting laws, i.e. less restrictions on shooting an intruder, etc., whereas NC had more restrictions comparatively?

I don't know, but I knew I posted comments about it, so I wanted to add the good source hearsay to the above comments... FWIW

Either way, NC or SC is prob better than a lot of states, particularly up north....

Karz
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I work in Charlotte, but live in Salisbury.  If I could throw in my .02, commuting to the larger areas you mentioned isn't a bad thing.  For example, taxes in Rowan are bearable, good schools, firearms friendly (to include NFA), ranges are accessible.

Commuting sucks, but I for one am happy to have the family out of the "hot" zones.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info... I'm going to be moving to the Raleigh area at the beginning of April.  Maybe I'll see you guys out at the range?  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Beware of the Cary and Durham areas.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
I work in Charlotte, but live in Salisbury.  If I could throw in my .02, commuting to the larger areas you mentioned isn't a bad thing.  For example, taxes in Rowan are bearable, good schools, firearms friendly (to include NFA), ranges are accessible.

Commuting sucks, but I for one am happy to have the family out of the "hot" zones.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I moved to the other side of the line, south of Charlotte. I just went to a range in Rock Hill, they had an IDPA thing going on out there tonight. They have two ranges in one building, allows for separate activities. I heard tonight they're getting an outdoor range out there somewhere too, not sure if on same property, and I asked if they would do long guns, and he said eventually. This was at Sportsman Inc but don't know if it will ever go so far as AR, but currently the indoor range is only $119 yr individual or $139 yr immediate family....

And at the gun show, I ran into ShootersExpress out in Belmont, NW of Charlotte, seems like it's basically in Gastonia and they are definitely AR friendly, FWIW - Oh, and I think their annual memberships start around $199, but if you're into long guns and that includes long guns, then that would be cool, but you'd have to ask them to be sure.

That's about all I know. I've been to the Matthews FIREPOWER, which is nice, they're open 7 days a week, but indoor HG only, and heard about BulletHole, but think that's just indoor HG too.

Karz
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me know when you get here canes7, I'm in Cary. I frequent a private range quite a bit. Just a guess, but by the user name are you a Hurricanes fan?
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Canes7
check out the Harnett Co. area. Quick ride to Raleigh, Cary, Durham, land prices are lower, Sherriff is gun friendly, growing area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top