Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 5:57:03 PM EDT
I'm visiting on business for 2 weeks starting next Monday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:13:24 PM EDT

A zillion things, actually. I wouldn't know where to start. Depends on your interests--historical, cultural, shopping, Gulf Coast a short 3 hours away, real boot scoot dancing with real Texas wimmen and a few others from all over the world, pretty much any kind of entertainment and night life you can think of, one of the best downtown atmospheres in the US, food of any kind especially the best Tex-Mex anywhere, and so on, and so on, and so on. Friendly town. Nice people. Guess you can tell I like SA. And I don't even live there anymore.

Get a guidebook from the hotel, talk to some local folks at the front desk, and set out. Naturally you will need a car and a large city map from Barnes and Noble, etc. Unfortunately you'll miss a pretty good gun show that's the first weekend of the month. Beware of traffic at rush hour. Leave early or leave late. If you are bored for a minute of the two weeks it will be your fault. Enjoy.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:51:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 9:31:25 PM EDT by OFFascist]
I havent been there in a while but its cool to eat at that tower thing that rotates. Kind of expensive but neat.

You could also go to those train tracks where the ghosts will push you over. I've done that once.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:17:09 AM EDT
so do the ghost really push you over?

when i went we went to sea world and the wax museum and the mentioned places. forgot all about the train tracks till after we left.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:26:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By OFFascist:
I havent been there in a while but its cool to eat at that tower thing that rotates. Kind of expensive but neat.

You could also go to those train tracks where the ghosts will push you over. I've done that once.

Looks like my rental car will give it a try My hotel is close to the airport, so I should be pretty close to all the attractions and food.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:18:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:30:56 AM EDT
There's nothing to do in San Antonio.

The Austin crew, however, will take good care of you.

BTW - it's a little drive, but you should make plans to road-trip with us to the Dallas Market Hall gun show. It'll be an all-day affair, and you'll get to meet the DFW crew as well. This is Saturday the 24th.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:55:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zhukov:
There's nothing to do in San Antonio.

The Austin crew, however, will take good care of you.

BTW - it's a little drive, but you should make plans to road-trip with us to the Dallas Market Hall gun show. It'll be an all-day affair, and you'll get to meet the DFW crew as well. This is Saturday the 24th.

True that Austin is neat. And the DFW gun show is just outstanding. But leave SA on his first trip for it---I dunno bout that. Then he'd miss Saturday night in Gruene. Or on the riverwalk and at one of I-don't-know-how-many-clubs-full-of-wimmen-with-nothing-to-do-until-Monday-morning . Or tons of other more cultural things, doncha know [.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:58:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 5:03:15 AM EDT by imcoltsguy]

Originally Posted By DVDTracker:
Just south of Austin (north of SA) www.saltlickbbq.com/

And not to forget Rudy's bbq out I 10 West toward Boerne about 1/2 hour from his hotel. None better in the universe. Course ya gotta dress up to go there. Well at least you have to dress legal, wear a shirt and stuff.

P.S. MrClean: don't bring your tight clothes. You're gonna gain 10 pounds in two weeks.
And don't put sleep on your schedule until you drop. You won't have time.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:47:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:51:17 AM EDT
the Riverwalk, also the SA zoo is pretty cool (I was there last weekend). Over the weekend haul ass to just south of Austin (about an hour drive, depending on what part of SA you're in) and go to the Salt Lick. That's the best advice on the thread. Best brisket around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:44:55 AM EDT
The Tower of the Americas is closed for renovations.

Good restaurants:

Paesano's (one on Riverwalk, one at Alamo Quarry) -- Italian
Rudy's BBQ (several locations)
Saltgrass Steak House (the one on 281 North is closer to where you'll be)
La Margarita (El Mercado, SW of downtown) -- nice and touristy
Pappadeaux (410 near the airport) -- decent cajun food
Texas Land and Cattle (several locations, next to Pappadeaux is probably closest)

There are others, but you can check those out.

Sights:

Same as others have mentioned.

If you have some time on the weekend and want to shoot, IM me, and I'll take you to a range.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:57:04 PM EDT
San Antonio is a neat town with plenty to do. I know I am echoing what has been said on some of these but...

The River Walk is great. You always have the Alamo. Brakenridge park is really nice with a great Zoo, the river, the Whitte Museum, and the Tea gardens.

The Central Texas Hill country is magnificent, Just Driving through it is a treat. You could always head out to Luckenback Texas and grab a beer and maybe catch a show. Gruene is also great with a good time always waiting at Gruene Hall.

If you are a golfer we have many great places for that.

You could also go on the San Antonio Missions Trail. The Alamo and 4 other (I think 4) historic missions.

San Antonio also has a Sea World and it is not to be missed. We also have a Six Flags theme park called Fiesta Texas, and it is nice as well.

Tower of Americas, it is fun to go to the top and have a look.

If you are a hunter, it is Dove Season, and I bet you could find a hunt to go on. I drive down the road at verious points that seem like they are in town (Outskirts) and see them along the fence lines.

If you are an aviation buff, Just pick a spot around 410 and Military dr. and watch f-16s buzz around and C-5 Float in the air.

If you are a Motorcycle Guy, Wedsday nights at Spechts(Bar/Resturant )on the (Way) North side are usually a treat, as 50 to hundreds of bikes of all kinds have the weekly bike night.

If you are *on the prowl guy* Any of the major down town hotels and bars is a candy store. Also find yourself a Starbucks on the northside and enjoy the show for that.

San Marcos is 50 miles away, with one of the largest outlet malls in the country, You also have the head waters of the San Marcos river, You can take a Gless bottom boat ride over that, and it is neat (I would call on times for that)

You could go to Canyon Lake About 40 minutes away. Rent a Jet Ski or just have a beer.

A trip to Austin on Fri or Sat to see the world famous 6th Street bar district is always worth it.

And you could always go to one of our many local ranges. The San Antonio Gun Club is awesome (Trap and skeet) It is Located right in the heart of town and is very nice. You should also check out the Bullet Hole, They rent Class IIIs at some very reasonable rates.

Other than that, Their is always neat time killing stuff to do that I dont think many people ever take the time to do. When was the last time you went to a Ferrari Dealership to just oogle the cars? (We have one) When was the last time You drove through a large business park just taking note of the kinds of businesses there and wondering what they do, how they do it, and why cant I? (I always do this in other cities, As I might see an idea that has not made it to mine yet) When was the last time you went into a mall just to have a soda or coffee and people watched? If you are a Religious man, When was the last time you went to different Houses of worship that suited your faith and just looked around? When was the last time you went to a book discussion? (There is always one going on at one of the Barnes and Nobles) You might even catch a book sighning. When was the last time you went aimlessly driving in very high end neighborhoods just enjoying the homes? If you have, Have you done it in San Antonio? When was the Last time you went to the Softball fields (Every major city has several) and tried to see if you could be a walk on because someone was short that night? (I do this because I cant commit to a League) This "Walk on" theme also can work on a Gun League sometimes.

The list goes on.

Also you have the standard issue fair. Such as Bowling, Go Karts, Batting cages Put put, ect.... For Example, I like to Bowl but I never think to do it until I am out of town.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:42:51 PM EDT
I HIGHLY recommend that you get directions and take a drive out to the SALTLICK for a barbeque dinner. Try to at least drag one person along, and allow a full evening, so that you can sit and BS after dinner. This is a TRUE taste of texas.

M.L.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:00:42 PM EDT
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll be busy all next week but the weekend is all mine.

I'll be staying at the homestead inn right next to the airport. I seen at least a dozen tex-mex rest. nearby.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:15:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:16:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DVDTracker:

Originally Posted By logem:
I HIGHLY recommend that you get directions and take a drive out to the SALTLICK for a barbeque dinner. Try to at least drag one person along, and allow a full evening, so that you can sit and BS after dinner. This is a TRUE taste of texas.

And if you do, LET US KNOW, cause any excuse to go to the Salt Lick is a good excuse.

How far is that from the airport?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:30:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 4:52:31 AM EDT by imcoltsguy]
Menu for the week:

Lunch or Dinner:
Whataburgers--If you've never had one, you're in for a treat. A Texas treasure. Get 2 the original way with everything but cheese. And fries. And a malt. On 410 very close to you at Broadway.
EEHO--Tex Mex. On Broadway just north of 410 about 6 blocks. On corner. Excellent. There is a lot of Tex Mex in SA but the quality varies greatly.
Morton's downtown. Steaks.
Saltgrass--the best one is 4-5 miles north of 410 on 281 north. Steaks. Very noisy at peak times. Great for an off-hour lunch.
Rudy's BBQ--the original location is still the best. I10 about 5-6 miles north of 410. Best in Texas besides Salt Lick and a place in San Angelo I've forgotten the name of. Don't put sauce on it until you taste it. You may not want sauce after all.
Chinese--PF Chang's. At the Quarry mall.

Riverwalk restaurants are sometimes good sometimes not. Lots of good ones. Others can tell you more about the up to date places.

Breakfast.
Whataburger bacon and egg tacos. Honest.
Jim's--on the corner across from Whataburger. Definitely get the biscuits, and anything else you like.
Shipley's donuts for that pig-out morning.

Repeat PRN.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:58:36 AM EDT
Mama's restaurant for fried mushrooms.
Top Top