Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2010 6:18:23 PM EDT
Well Uncle Sam is sending me there and I would like to know what to expect before I show up. Any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Cold in winter.
Hot in summer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Lung-choking smoke from forest fires in the summer.  Hard water that smells like sulfur. No good restaurants.

BUT:  The traffic (or lack thereof) is wonderful.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lung-choking smoke from forest fires in the summer.  Hard water that smells like sulfur. No good restaurants.

BUT:  The traffic (or lack thereof) is wonderful.  

depends on the fires some summers it is beautiful and smokefree others it is lung choking.  I haven't ever had the hard sulfur water problem.  A couple good restaurants

i agree on the traffic

for sports to watch the have college hockey and basketball, an arena football team, and an amateur baseball team.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice Summers, wretched Winters. There is a mentality that can take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I live 100 miles south of Fbks at Fort Greely.  Love it here.

Fbks is kinda nice, all kinds of stuff to do.  Just make sure and get your ass outta the house in the winter and do something even when its cold.  Staying inside will make this place hell
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Fbks is kinda nice, all kinds of stuff to do.

What is there to do?  All I do there is eat, sleep, and shoot, maybe an occasional movie - but I could do that elsewhere.  Born and raised in Fairbanks, but I bought a house in Nevada. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Think up some specifics.  Pretty much like a lot of towns/cities at around 30k...weather is just a bit different.  Opportunities are there, though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top