Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 7:39:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:44:07 PM EDT
Why are you always trying to be straight?

Be yourself!

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:19:32 PM EDT
F*CK the Monorail! Ban MLKing County!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:51:44 AM EDT
I grew up in a city that had a monorail, and man, it's so awesome when it's done. Fast, easy inexpensive transportation to the most popular downtown areas, and they kept expanding and expanding so you could easily acess the country side and suburbs too.

There were many set backs in the mid 90s... strikes, corruption, etc, but the mayor (now president) went to visit the workers... after being stuck at 20% complete for 8 years, the MRT (Mass Rail Transit) was completed in Taipei in 3 years...

And you're telling me that Seattle has blown away 11 billion, to try and get a monorail since the 60s?! That's just absurd!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:58:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gordon_freeman:
I grew up in a city that had a monorail, and man, it's so awesome when it's done. Fast, easy inexpensive transportation to the most popular downtown areas, and they kept expanding and expanding so you could easily acess the country side and suburbs too.

There were many set backs in the mid 90s... strikes, corruption, etc, but the mayor (now president) went to visit the workers... after being stuck at 20% complete for 8 years, the MRT (Mass Rail Transit) was completed in Taipei in 3 years...

And you're telling me that Seattle has blown away 11 billion, to try and get a monorail since the 60s?! That's just absurd!!!

Pay attention, Freeman. The Monorail wants to blow ANOTHER 11 Billion for a monorail from Ballard to Downtown. The money from the past 20 years was just wasted on planning.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
Public Transportation in America = No Way

There is a reason why public transport is succesful in other countries: THEY NEED IT. Aside from in the most populated cities Americans don't need PT, and love cars and the independence it gives people.

I'd say give em (the monorail people) a tiny fraction of that money and see if it goes anywhere... 11 Billion dollars blown away on planning is absurd, heads should roll and new firms brought in.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:01:31 PM EDT
The monorail would be a tremendous thing if they just build the damn thing. Instead they have pissed away all the money they have already been given, are constantly looking for more to waste and can't come up with a workable idea if their lives depended on it. I mean how hard is it to build a monorail down the middle of I5 and I405 with spurs north and south and across Lake Washington. I still can't figure out how this is so hard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 4:49:53 PM EDT by Terrato]
Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail!
What'd I say?

Ned Flanders: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

Patty+Selma: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail!

[crowd chants `Monorail' softly and rhythmically]

Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud...
Lyle Lanley: It glides as softly as a cloud.

Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?
Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?
Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.

Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?
Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.

Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.
Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.
I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!

All: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

Lyle Lanley: Once again...

Marge: But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...

Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!

Monorail!
Monorail!
[big finish]
Monorail!

Homer: Mono... D'oh!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:47:53 PM EDT
Do you ever wonder where all that money goes, if they aren't actually doing anything?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:51:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:
Do you ever wonder where all that money goes, if they aren't actually doing anything?

The current "Interm" head of the monorail makes 38,000 PER MONTH!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

The current "Interm" head of the monorail makes 38,000 PER MONTH!

Are you *^&$*ing KIDDING? Who decided his salary? He should be killed for approving that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 6:43:28 PM EDT by Phil_in_Seattle]
The monorail board hired John Haley as a consultant through his employer, consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton. His firm will be paid $240 per hour for his services, up to 160 hours or $38,400 per month. It is not clear what amount Haley himself will be paid.

I've read something about him being involved in the mess over the EZ-pass system when he was the transportation commissioner in New Jersey.

The entire monorail board should be fired.

From what I've seen their solution to "saving" the monorail is going to be to play shell games with the loans required to build it. When they had their original plan to finance a $2 billion project with $9 billion in debt over a 50-year period exposed to the public the outrage and anger convinced the board to reject that plan, too bad for them that they didn't have a plan B ready.

It's a textbook boondoggle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 10:12:47 PM EDT by Terrato]

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:
The entire monorail board should be fired...

... OUT OF A CANNON.
Top Top