Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 11:01:49 AM EDT
I didn't get a chance to go today. Maybe tomorrow if all works out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of vendors, fair to middling prices, plenty enough room in the new building.  It's worth the trip this time.  Ops
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Aside from the show being in the nice new building (wide isles, strategically placed table rows, etc.), I wasn't too impressed.  I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as a good deal.  Sunday wasn't crowded at all.  Unfortunately, the only thing I bought was the parking fee and the admission ticket
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I got some good buys on ammo. One vendor even had Danish 30-06 by the case.

One of the vendors I walked past was telling a potential customer how he knows so much about what is going to happen with future gun laws because "I work for the Feds." I bet he was a Navy SEAL in 'Nam too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I forgot to mention that there were good deals on ammo.  Don't you just love the guys that charge a higher price for credit card transactions.  My father-in-law actually bought ammo from a vendor that was higher priced than one of the others - just because he didn't want to pay the cheaper guy 3% more for using a credit card.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, I forgot to mention that there were good deals on ammo.  Don't you just love the guys that charge a higher price for credit card transactions.  My father-in-law actually bought ammo from a vendor that was higher priced than one of the others - just because he didn't want to pay the cheaper guy 3% more for using a credit card.

Trust me - the customer ends up paying for it no matter what.   Either they figure the CC surcharges into the price of the goods, so everyone ends up paying for it regardless of whether they used a CC or they add the surcharge (well, call it a "cash discount" to keep the CC companies happy) only for CC customers and only make those who use the convenience pay for it.   I'd rather the option, myself, than helping pay for something I don't use.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I own and operate a full time retail store and I too add the 3% if CC is used.  Here is why.  I try and keep my prices low and competitive.  An example would be, on a new gun I sell at cost + shipping + $40.00 profit.  So on a new Bushmaster DCM model for example.  I sell those rifles for $1050.00.  Cost is $1K and shipping is about $10.00, actually a little more in this case cause its heavy.  And then the $40.00 profit.  If a guy comes in and wants to buy that rifle with a CC, it will cost me $33.50 in credit card fees on that sale.  That knocks my margin from $40.00 to less than $7.00.  Less than $7.00 profit on a $1000.00 investment.  Guys...that is not a good margin.  Even at $40.00 profit, it is not a good margin.

I am not trying to complain, nor am I exagerating my claims.  I will gladly produce documentation for the non believers of how small the profit is in the gun business.

So If I add the 3% right off the top no matter what form of payment, then the guy that pays cash gets screwed. There is a MAC machine right across from my shop and I always give the buyer the opportunity to go and get cash out of it.  But some complain about paying a $1.00 transaction fee from the MAC machine too.  Seems sometimes you just can not win.

I do not like it any more than the customer, and I would rather not even handle CC's, but it is a system that is conspired by the credit card companies not the retailer.

Sorry for the rant.

John
Seneca Arms CO
215-234-8984
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I own and operate a full time retail store and I too add the 3% if CC is used.  Here is why.  I try and keep my prices low and competitive.  An example would be, on a new gun I sell at cost + shipping + $40.00 profit.  So on a new Bushmaster DCM model for example.  I sell those rifles for $1050.00.  Cost is $1K and shipping is about $10.00, actually a little more in this case cause its heavy.  And then the $40.00 profit.  If a guy comes in and wants to buy that rifle with a CC, it will cost me $33.50 in credit card fees on that sale.  That knocks my margin from $40.00 to less than $7.00.  Less than $7.00 profit on a $1000.00 investment.  Guys...that is not a good margin.  Even at $40.00 profit, it is not a good margin.

I am not trying to complain, nor am I exagerating my claims.  I will gladly produce documentation for the non believers of how small the profit is in the gun business.

So If I add the 3% right off the top no matter what form of payment, then the guy that pays cash gets screwed. There is a MAC machine right across from my shop and I always give the buyer the opportunity to go and get cash out of it.  But some complain about paying a $1.00 transaction fee from the MAC machine too.  Seems sometimes you just can not win.

I do not like it any more than the customer, and I would rather not even handle CC's, but it is a system that is conspired by the credit card companies not the retailer.

Sorry for the rant.

John
Seneca Arms CO
215-234-8984

I see your point.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sorry for the rant.

John
Seneca Arms CO
215-234-8984

Like that in most industries.  Selling computers is pretty much the same especially with the newer low priced models.  Most retail outlets will make maybe 10% profit; most often it is less than that.

The money is in the accessories!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sorry for the rant.

John
Seneca Arms CO
215-234-8984

John, the bank across the street from you doesn't charge a fee so unless the customers bank charges them it's free.....the problem can arise there that most banks place a limit on the amount you can withdraw on your MAC card, typically $300. That's why I always bring a checkbook to your store.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
When a customer complains about the ATM fee when they purchase something from my store (not a gun store) and have to get the cash, I will give them the $1 discount or whatever the fee is. I would rather lose the buck or two than have to pay the credit card percentage on the purchase, which can be quite a bit, depending on the size of the purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top