Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 1:56:37 PM EDT
My unit may be moving from its current location to Cape Cod later in 2006......if that happens I may have the option of getting reassigned to a local USCG unit nearby or working down on Cape Cod (previously stationed there)

Cape Cod is nice, but I refuse to move back and a) make my firearms Mass. compliant or b) put my guns out-of-state somewhere. With that in mind, I understand Rhode Island does not have an "assault weapons" ban.....I would only have one more year left until I PCS - so my living location is relative - I just know that a two hour drive each way from New Hampshire to Cape Cod everyday is unrealistic.....and I want to keep possession of my firearms where I live. Rhode Island is only 40-45 minutes from the upper Cape Cod area if I remember right - a reasonable commute to me.

So any thoughts on the pros and cons of Rhode Island? I'd prefer to stay in NH - but at least RI is slightly more progun then Mass.......

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
RI gun laws are definatly better than Mass.  There is no assualt weapon ban which is very nice.  There is a seven day waiting period for handguns, I don't think it applys to shotguns and I'm not sure about rifles.  You also need a blue card to purchase handguns which requires that you take a 50 question test.  Basically if you know which end not to point at yourself then you'll pass no problem.  As far as CCW goes forget it.  Unless you have a good reason it's pretty impossible to get a license.  There is a ton of paperwork and you have to get it signed off by the CLEO or the state attourney general which usually doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The trick to getting a RI LTC is, be a cop.

They want to hear 'police officer', even if you were just a cadet for a few years back two decades ago.  'Active duty military' will probably do the trick.

If you can substantiate death threats and also produce a restraining order, they'll consider considering an application from someone who doesn't qualify as above.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#3]
A recent court case may set the precedent that having a C&R FFL is enough for an LTC, too. RI CRAL has info on this.

The laws are better than MA, not as good as NH. You'll want to look in Eastern RI, probably. Bristol, East Providence, maybe Portsmouth. I can steer you to a few good clubs in RI, as can others here.

Tim
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info so far.....I should know by November at latest if I'm going to need to move.  I would be travelling to the Bourne/Falmouth, MA area every day so eastern Rhode Island is key.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
When I moved to MA from RI in 1999 I stopped by the local Police station to inquire about bringing my preban ARs and pistols with 15 rd capacity into the state.  I was told the only way I could do so was obtain a MA High Capacity LTC.  The person in charge gave me the forms and fingerprinted me.  In two weeks I got a call from the PD that I had been approved for the license and I picked it up.  Moved my firearms to my new house and all was well.  Carried concealed till I moved back to RI a few years later.  The license didn't even have any restrictions.  It was good for any legal purpose.  I WAS STUNNED.  Go to your local PD and give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on what BStock said - many towns are surprisingly reasonable.  According to Chief Glidden (literally wrote the book on police firearm regs.)  80+% of towns are issuing LTC-A as a default.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top