Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 8/17/2013 10:37:12 PM EDT
Last Tuesday Mrs BreakRight and I closed on the sale of our home in KY and were on the road west. Took 31 hours driving two vehicles, two trailers and two cats but we arrived in Sheridan on Thursday afternoon. Currently living in a hotel and looking to purchase some acreage or rent short term before the purchase.

Questions -
1. What is the deal with having to wait a year to get Resident fishing and hunting licenses?

2. Is WY always so hot? Car thermometer said 101F yesterday.

3. Do they need old chemical engineers in this area?

4. Why is the Walmart clientele here similar to the ones in rural KY?

5. Do you have any other insights to making the adjustment from KY to WY? They issued pocket rocks at the Black Hills Welcome Center on I-90.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 11:14:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BreakRight:

Last Tuesday Mrs BreakRight and I closed on the sale of our home in KY and were on the road west. Took 31 hours driving two vehicles, two trailers and two cats but we arrived in Sheridan on Thursday afternoon. Currently living in a hotel and looking to purchase some acreage or rent short term before the purchase.

Questions -

1. What is the deal with having to wait a year to get Resident fishing and hunting licenses? Not sure. They probably want to make sure you establish permanent residency before they let you have at it.

2. Is WY always so hot? Car thermometer said 101F yesterday. It's not usually that hot. We have some hot days but I would put our summer's up against any other State's summer. We just have less summer and it takes a while to get to it. On average it probably stays mid-80's to mid 90's on the hot days.

3. Do they need old chemical engineers in this area? Not sure, but we are the least populated state, but ya never know. The odds that Sheridan needs them is slim.

4. Why is the Walmart clientele here similar to the ones in rural KY? Don't all Walmarts in the US generally have the same clientele? Wyoming does have it's share of trailer trash, so get used to it.

5. Do you have any other insights to making the adjustment from KY to WY? They issued pocket rocks at the Black Hills Welcome Center on I-90.Get used to long winters and you will see less shrubbery. It may or may not be windy up in Sheridan, but here in Cheyenne I can't keep a cover on my Trans Am without it blowing off. Wyoming has it's pluses and negatives like any other place.

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 12:15:37 PM EDT
I just got to Jackson yesterday for a week vacation.  Touched down at 1830... Not hot, no flying bugs, best kept secret in the USA....ths place is incredible...I have not been out west before....I swear, I was gonna buy a farm in middle Georgia, but dad gum, I'm seriously thinking of buying a place here...and this would not be my primary residence, and I don't do the ski thing. I just don't have the words to describe it...  Also, in my visitor pack that I have, it mentions designated attractions are geysers and mud pots.  What the hell is a mud pot?  I'm a city boy, can you help me out with that? I just can't say enough how beautiful this place is...dad gum.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 6:01:50 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1245x:
I just got to Jackson yesterday for a week vacation.  Touched down at 1830... Not hot, no flying bugs, best kept secret in the USA....ths place is incredible...I have not been out west before....I swear, I was gonna buy a farm in middle Georgia, but dad gum, I'm seriously thinking of buying a place here...and this would not be my primary residence, and I don't do the ski thing. I just don't have the words to describe it...  Also, in my visitor pack that I have, it mentions designated attractions are geysers and mud pots.  What the hell is a mud pot?  I'm a city boy, can you help me out with that? I just can't say enough how beautiful this place is...dad gum.....
View Quote

Mud pot is basically a hot spring, but instead of bubbling water, it bubbles mud.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 6:13:04 PM EDT

Questions -

2. Is WY always so hot? Car thermometer said 101F yesterday. No

4. Why is the Walmart clientele here similar to the ones in rural KY? Wally World shoppers are the same everywhere.

5. Do you have any other insights to making the adjustment from KY to WY? They issued pocket rocks at the Black Hills Welcome Center on I-90. Start buying your winter clothes now, don't have much time before the snow starts flying.

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2013 12:37:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hanzerik:

Mud pot is basically a hot spring, but instead of bubbling water, it bubbles mud.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Haha....Thanx....
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 12:56:16 PM EDT
View Quote

Have you checked out the price  of real estate yet?  Some beautiful homes here, but VERY expensive.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 1:22:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 1:34:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 3:37:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 4:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2013 4:07:04 PM EDT by Skg_Mre_Lght]
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 4:30:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 4:36:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:

I'm looking forward to it.

Hahahahahahaha!

Sounds good... Have your wife post an AAR in early May.

I still remember my first Wyoming winter, just west of Cheyenne, with 80 mph sustained winds for 4 days straight. That was one of many storms.

Good luck, guys, you will be needing it, but if you can live through your first, you can do it again and again, and the other parts of the year make it worth it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seiran:
Everyone in this thread that has not wintered WY is in for a Ranger School level education in a few months.
Enjoy!

Hahahahahahaha!

I still remember my first Wyoming winter, just west of Cheyenne, with 80 mph sustained winds for 4 days straight. That was one of many storms.

Good luck, guys, you will be needing it, but if you can live through your first, you can do it again and again, and the other parts of the year make it worth it.

The wind is the only thing I dislike about the winters. I can deal with snow and ice, but the wind can really suck at times. And this will be my 8th winter here. I think its that I drive a fuel tanker that makes me hate the wind. When I'm loaded and headed over to Wamsutter its OK, but when I'm empty it can cause issues. Luckily it blows out of the West for the most part, but some areas up there on Elk Mountain where it blows directly across the road is scary at times. Icy roads, empty tanker with pup, high winds...raises the pucker factor. Last year I ran 30 mph all the way back from a few miles past Walcott to Laramie. Lead and pup almost folded up on me at 40mph and freaked me out. When I got to Laramie and started up the pass, trucks were spun out left, right, and middle lanes. Luckily not all in the same spot. Was a slalom course going up at a nice slow and steady 20-25mph. Up top was nice deep fresh snow so less chance of loosing traction. Me and a couple other trucks made it up before they closed the roads.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 7:21:58 PM EDT
View Quote

mud pot is kind of a small pond of what looks like hot, smelly yogurt that bubbles. come in different colors.

great place to live. if you are serious about real estate, my wife's a broker. we've lived here forty years. PM me and I'll send you her contact info.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 10:14:04 AM EDT

Everyone in this thread that has not wintered WY is in for a Ranger School level education in a few months.

View Quote

Enjoy!

Truth.

Link Posted: 8/20/2013 7:31:26 PM EDT
Anticipating a long winter but we do have a little experience.

24 hour average temperature data

Lived here five years
     Jan   Feb    Mar   Apr   May   Jun   Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec  Year
°C  -10.0  -9.5  -4.1    3.2    10.2   15.1  18.7 17.5  12.6   7.0   -0.3   -7.0   4.4
°F    14.0  14.9  24.6  37.8  50.4   59.2  65.7  63.5  54.7  44.6  31.5  19.4  39.9

Lived here two years
        Jan  Feb     Mar  Apr  May  Jun   Jul     Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec  Year
°C    -15.2  -11.9  -4.6  3.7  10.6   15.3  18.3  16.7   11.7   6.1   -2.8   -11.7   3.0
°F     4.6   10.6  23.7   38.7  51.1  59.5  64.9  62.1   53.1  43.0  27.0  10.9  37.4

Lived here 25 years
     Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun   Jul     Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec Year
°C   -5.5  -4.3  1.2    8.2    14.7    19.7   22.3  21.0  16.8  10.6  4.1   -2.6    8.8
°F  22.1  24.3 34.2  46.8  58.5   67.5   72.1  69.8  62.2  51.1  39.4  27.3   47.8

Sheridan weather
       Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun   Jul   Aug     Sep   Oct   Nov  Dec  Year
°C   -6.5   -3.5   0.3    5.6    10.6    16.2  20.2  19.3  13.3   7.6    0.0  -5.1  6.5
°F  20.3  25.7  32.5   42.1  51.1    61.2  68.4  66.7  55.9  45.7  32.0  22.8  43.7

We are moving from the warm spot though. Spent last 16 years here
       Jan  Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun   Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec   Year
°C   -0.1   2.0   7.8    13.2  18.0   22.5  24.3  23.6  20.3  14.1  8.5   2.6    13.1
°F   31.8 35.6  46.0  55.8  64.4  72.5  75.7  74.5  68.5   57.4  47.3  36.7   55.6

Limited wind data
Sheridan
AVERAGE WIND SPEED - MPH

STATION                            | ID |  Years  |            Jan  Feb  Mar  Apr  May  Jun  Jul  Aug  Sep  Oct  Nov  Dec  |  Ann
SHERIDAN AIRPORT ASOS   |KSHR|1996-2006|  6.3  7.2   7.8   9.1   8.6   7.5   6.6  6.2  6.3     6.7  6.5  6.8  |  7.1

Where we are moving from
                              Jan Feb Mar  Apr  May Jun  Jul  Aug  Sep  Oct Nov Dec Annual
Average Wind Speed 9.5  9.5 10.1 9.7  8.0    7.4  6.8  6.4   6.8   7.2  8.9  9.1    8.3

Link Posted: 8/20/2013 8:10:13 PM EDT
If you look at Sheridan's numbers, there are 5 months where the 24 hr. temp is freezing or below.  (Dec warmer than Nov?)

3 more months in the 40s.  Not exactly the banana belt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 8:48:30 PM EDT
Holy cow....just went rafting down the snake river.....I don't have enough adjectives to describe this place...this is the vagina of the universe....
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 10:53:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Staggunner:
If you look at Sheridan's numbers, there are 5 months where the 24 hr. temp is freezing or below.  (Dec warmer than Nov?)
View Quote

The last number is the annual average. So for Sheridan Nov average is 32F, Dec 22.8F and annual average is 43.7F.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:54:17 AM EDT
After 6 years in North Dakota......Wyoming's winters are a breeze

Enjoy!

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 2:08:05 AM EDT

Enjoy!

View Quote

Can I get an Amen! Looks to be a heavy snow winter too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 2:08:57 AM EDT

Hahahahahahaha!

Yea, that is what she told me: "If you can make it through your first winter, everything else is easy." That and the summers are some of the best anywhere.

*thumps chest hard* I'm ready baby! Bring it on!

View All Quotes
Enjoy!

Hahahahahahaha!

Yea, that is what she told me: "If you can make it through your first winter, everything else is easy." That and the summers are some of the best anywhere.

*thumps chest hard* I'm ready baby! Bring it on!

You poor sweet Bastard!
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 2:11:47 AM EDT

The wind is the only thing I dislike about the winters. I can deal with snow and ice, but the wind can really suck at times. And this will be my 8th winter here. I think its that I drive a fuel tanker that makes me hate the wind. When I'm loaded and headed over to Wamsutter its OK, but when I'm empty it can cause issues. Luckily it blows out of the West for the most part, but some areas up there on Elk Mountain where it blows directly across the road is scary at times. Icy roads, empty tanker with pup, high winds...raises the pucker factor. Last year I ran 30 mph all the way back from a few miles past Walcott to Laramie. Lead and pup almost folded up on me at 40mph and freaked me out. When I got to Laramie and started up the pass, trucks were spun out left, right, and middle lanes. Luckily not all in the same spot. Was a slalom course going up at a nice slow and steady 20-25mph. Up top was nice deep fresh snow so less chance of loosing traction. Me and a couple other trucks made it up before they closed the roads.
View All Quotes
Enjoy!

Hahahahahahaha!

When they were putting the Interstate through, the old times told them to follow Hwy 287, because it stays relatively free of snow and ice. Oh no, they shot it through the snow bowl! The stretch of I-80 from Laramie to Sinclair has got to be the worst in the state in the winter, except for Telephone Canyon when it's slick as snot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 2:13:06 AM EDT

The last number is the annual average. So for Sheridan Nov average is 32F, Dec 22.8F and annual average is 43.7F.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Staggunner:

Yeah, but it's a dry cold!

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:27:44 PM EDT
Welcome to Wyoming.
If you are ever in Gillette, I'd be happy to take you lunch.

Oh yeah, the wind sucks here too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:20:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WTProtector:
Welcome to Wyoming.
If you are ever in Gillette, I'd be happy to take you lunch.

Oh yeah, the wind sucks here too.
View Quote

Thanks Protector!!!!!  You're the first one with a word of welcome.

We've been looking for small acreage around Sheridan and living in a motel since arriving mid August. Next week we move to a month to month rental at a vacation home. Summer season begins there in May so we could stay until then on a monthly basis but really hope to find something before that.

I've applied with some engineering firms in Sheridan and Casper and anticipating that something will come up.

Thanks again,
Mr and Mrs BreakRight
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:32:01 PM EDT
Welcome to WY. Hope your job search goes well.  If you ever get down to Gllette hit me up and we will go shootin'. If you haven't already discovered Shiptons Big R in Sheridan, check it out. They have a good selection of guns and ammo for a farm and ranch store.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:00:30 PM EDT
How many people from Gillette are going to check in?

Sheridan is a nice town, we always enjoy staying there. There are some nice houses out at the golf course. Ranchester, Big Horn and Story are an easy comute, even Buffalo.
Top Top