Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2009 9:18:48 AM EDT
Understand the AWB compliance stuff, but what lower/rollmarks can I have and not have?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Assault weapon means:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=307707

Any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as:

Norinco, Polytech, and Mitchell Avtomat Kalashnikovs (AK-47’s);
Action Arms IMI (Israeli Military Industries) Uzi and Galil;
Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);
Colt AR-15;
Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, and FNC;
SWD M-10, M-11, M 11/9, M-12;
Steyr AUG;
INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22;
Revolving cylinder shotguns such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper or Striker 12

What this list means is post-ban Colt rifles with an “AR-15” roll mark are not legal. Note: If the rifle is marked “Sporter” instead of “AR-15,” it is legal despite the fact it is the same machine. Again, pre-bans are exempt.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Assault weapon means:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=307707

Any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as:

Norinco, Polytech, and Mitchell Avtomat Kalashnikovs (AK-47’s);
Action Arms IMI (Israeli Military Industries) Uzi and Galil;
Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);
Colt AR-15;
Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, and FNC;
SWD M-10, M-11, M 11/9, M-12;
Steyr AUG;
INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22;
Revolving cylinder shotguns such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper or Striker 12

What this list means is post-ban Colt rifles with an “AR-15” roll mark are not legal. Note: If the rifle is marked “Sporter” instead of “AR-15,” it is legal despite the fact it is the same machine. Again, pre-bans are exempt.

So, basically the Sporter and Match Target?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt LE6920 Law Enforcement OK. I think the 6940 has the same lower.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Colt LE6920 Law Enforcement OK. I think the 6940 has the same lower.

A new LE6920 must be neutered to be NYS compliant ofcourse...no bayo lug, no flash hider/threads, no telescoping stock.

Pre-Bans are OK to have the evil features though.

I would just say get a Match Target...I have one and it's awesome...same as a 6920 but ban compliant.

Or get a 6920 and have it neutered.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]

The NY BAN is based on the now DEFUNCT Federal AWB.

If I am wrong someone please correct me, but I believe that since the passage of the NY Ban Law , there has been No NY Court Decision on any issues arising
from the Ban  nor has there been any Legal Opinion issued by the NY Attorney Generals office.

So the true answer would be    No one knows.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The NY BAN is based on the now DEFUNCT Federal AWB.

If I am wrong someone please correct me, but I believe that since the passage of the NY Ban Law , there has been No NY Court Decision on any issues arising
from the Ban  nor has there been any Legal Opinion issued by the NY Attorney Generals office.

So the true answer would be    No one knows.

We are relying on the fact that the NY AWB exactly mirrors the Federal AWB...which allows post-ban weapons...so we are good to go...otherwise, every gun store, FFL, and arfcommer from NY has been a felon since 1994 for transferring illegal AWs or posessing illegal AWs.

But that is not the case.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So, basically the Sporter and Match Target?

AFAIK all Colt "Sporter" "Sporter II" marked rifles are preban and exempt from the NYS AWB in any configuration. All post ban civilian rifles from Colt are legal to possess in NYS.

http://biggerhammer.net/ar15/

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c6-q9-Colt_Rifles.aspx

Unless you have to have a Colt there are many other choices for a NY postban compliant rifle. Pete in NH who is a ARFCOM dealer can fix you up with a RRA or Stag rifle.

http://www.ar15sales.com/

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
any rollmark you like as long as its preban or ban compliant. i just received my AR15-A2 gov car rollmark today. preban of course. cost more for that one but i like the rollmark, if your not looking for a specific one you have many options
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
any rollmark you like as long as its preban or ban compliant. i just received my AR15-A2 gov car rollmark today. preban of course. cost more for that one but i like the rollmark, if your not looking for a specific one you have many options

Uhhh...Is this correct?

I am pretty sure if it says "Colt AR-15" it is BANNED unless it is pre-ban.

In actuality, all "Colt AR-15" guns are pre-ban though right? They changed the rollmarks after the ban was implimented right?

But hypothetically, if it has a banned roll mark, it is no good, unless it is pre-ban.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe the 6721 and 6520 are both roll marked AR-15, and as such would still be illegal even if neutered.  If you want the AR-15 roll mark, it must be a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Colt MT6400C. It is basically a 6920 with a pinned comp, no bayo lug, and fixed stock. The rollmark IMHO is one of the best out there, "M4 CARBINE". There are a few versions on this page...

Colts MFG
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhh...Is this correct?

In actuality, all "Colt AR-15" guns are pre-ban though right? They changed the rollmarks after the ban was implimented right?

But hypothetically, if it has a banned roll mark, it is no good, unless it is pre-ban.

Several postban Colt LE models are roll marked "Colt AR-15" or a variation thereof. Irrespective of the NYSP position I would avoid any LE restricted and partially marked Colt AR-15 in NY unless you like the potential of unwanted drama in your life. YMMV.

The LEO Colt 6721 is not mine and the pics were found on the Internet by googling "Colt 6721".

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=343902
Quoted:

It says AR-15A3 not AR-15, the rollmark bullshit has been
interpreted by NYSP as a STRICT INTERPRETATION which means the rollmark
must be exact. That being said there are anti DA's and Administrators
who see blood in the water and are not above telling the NYSP to fuck
off.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
correcting my first post.  i did not in any way mean to imply that one could just neuter a new 6520 to make legal even though it came out that way. my brain thinks one thing fingers type whatever.just meant to get the ar15 go preban. ill stop my bumblin now sorry
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh...Is this correct?

Several postban Colt LE models are roll marked "Colt AR-15" or a variation thereof. Irrespective of the NYSP position I would avoid any LE restricted and partially marked Colt AR-15 in NY unless you like the potential of unwanted drama in your life. YMMV.

The LEO Colt 6721 is not mine and the pics were found on the Internet by googling "Colt 6721".

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=343902

Quoted:
It says AR-15A3 not AR-15, the rollmark bullshit has beeninterpreted by NYSP as a STRICT INTERPRETATION which means the rollmarkmust be exact. That being said there are anti DA's and Administratorswho see blood in the water and are not above telling the NYSP to fuckoff.

The LEO markings mean nothing after the sunset of the AWB. A neutered LE6920 is perfectly legal in NYS because it does not have an AR-15 roll mark. I have 2.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The
LEO markings mean nothing after the sunset of the AWB. A neutered
LE6920 is perfectly legal in NYS because it does not have an AR-15 roll
mark. I have 2.

True. You'll beat the rap but I guarantte you you won't beat the ride. Ask the RIT student that was arrested, held on 15K bail and spent the W/E in the MC county jail for two NYS compliant rifles. When all was said and done he probably spent $10K-$15K in legal fees and was expelled from RIT a few weeks prior to graduation where he was to receive a degree in engineering. He also has a lifetime arrest record in NYS for 2 violent felonies and 1 misdemeanor count. AFAIK the MCSD and prosecutor pursued the charges even after the NYSP GIU told them the rifles complied with current state law were legal to possess in NYS.
When 762DM says something you'd be wise to listen to him. YMMV

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I think my best bet will be to just avoid a Colt altogether.

I'm just going to buy a BCM lower for my BCM upper and call it a day...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh...Is this correct?

It's correct; he said "ban compliant," and a "Colt AR-15" rollmark is not ban compliant.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TheLEO markings mean nothing after the sunset of the AWB. A neuteredLE6920 is perfectly legal in NYS because it does not have an AR-15 rollmark. I have 2.

True. You'll beat the rap but I guarantte you you won't beat the ride. Ask the RIT student that was arrested, held on 15K bail and spent the W/E in the MC county jail for two NYS compliant rifles. When all was said and done he probably spent $10K-$15K in legal fees and was expelled from RIT a few weeks prior to graduation where he was to receive a degree in engineering. He also has a lifetime arrest record in NYS for 2 violent felonies and 1 misdemeanor count. AFAIK the MCSD and prosecutor pursued the charges even after the NYSP GIU told them the rifles complied with current state law were legal to possess in NYS.

When 762DM says something you'd be wise to listen to him. YMMV

Was this for LE6920s? I ask because these rifles do say LE only, but do not have an AR-15 rollmark.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Was this for LE6920s? I ask because these rifles do say LE only, but do not have an AR-15 rollmark.

Nope. The RIT student was a NJ resident when he purchased both rifles (The NJ AWB is stricter than NY). Both rifles were postban compliant, no LE markings or AR-15 roll marks and the only AW feature was the pistol grip. The MC grand jury returned a no bill on the two felony counts and one misdemeanor count and all charges were dropped.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think my best bet will be to just avoid a Colt altogether.

I'm just going to buy a BCM lower for my BCM upper and call it a day...

colt sporter A2 lowers are legal but they have sear blocks to mess with if you want a full circle bolt. essential arms and olympic arms, pwa. but i think the bushy lowers are great, good price no sear block small trigger pins, saw one not long ago for 450.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. The RIT student was a NJ resident when he purchased both rifles (The NJ AWB is stricter than NY). Both rifles were postban compliant, no LE markings or AR-15 roll marks and the only AW feature was the pistol grip. The MC grand jury returned a no bill on the two felony counts and one misdemeanor count and all charges were dropped.

What a crock huh? I was advised by a 30 year NYSP Officer that it was no problem, and then he handled it for me. Thanks for your reply.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What a crock huh? I was advised by a 30 year NYSP Officer that it was no problem, and then he handled it for me. Thanks for your reply.

Like you said the LE/MIL markings are meaningless since the Federal AWB expired in 2004. It shouldn't be a problem as long as the rifle is postban compliant based on features. The rifle could be marked "Restricted to Easter Bunny's" and have the same meaning.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top