Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 12:18:52 PM EDT
...asks my Dad. I had to think quick. Did he see my arsenal and 15,000 rounds of ammo in the closet, or just the few pieces of .22LR brass I forgot to pick up when I was shooting my suppressor in the backyard.

I went with option two.

"Oh yeah. I try to shoot the cheap stuff with my .22."

TEH WIN!

Next question, "So who got you started."

No hesitation, "Noxspecter."

I'll give him small bites first.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Blah, show him all of it.....

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm on the Black list now.

So what did he say to that?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I am telling you.......invite him out to the range....Oh and bing your shotty. That should give a good impression!!!

I hope that your dad accepts your new found hobby and understands that it may have wel cost him grandchildren!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Neighbors at the old apartment got me into guns.......... Because they broke into other apartments and vehicles, physical fights in the parking lot, heck they tried to kick down my door one night.

Guns for the win! Rack a shotty and they stopped kicking.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask him if he enjoys freedom....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Im so glad my entire immediate family is gun friendly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, to be honest, I'm surprised he didn't bust out and cry, "My son's a real man! And NOT GAY!" with a big hug.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey, to be honest, I'm surprised he didn't bust and cry, "My son's a real man! And NOT GAY!" with a big hug.

Classic!!!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
OH Yeah!!!!

My new sig line.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Me Mah says my guns are .. well no real repsonse except. Wow!. don't keep them loaded.. sure i don't keep them loaded.. sure..
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am telling you.......invite him out to the range....

This can be a great idea or a total flop. One of my friends that I got hooked on things that go bang had a father who was so anti-gun that he openly blamed me to whoever would listen that I had "corrupted his son." His father even told him that he would not come and visit as long as there were firearms in the house. It was pretty sad until he drug his father kicking and screaming out to the range. After three or four hours the dad figured out that maybe guns weren't so bad after all. Although I doubt he would ever admit it in his circle of enlightened friends.

Now the old guy keeps bugging his son to take him shooting. Still blames me for everything though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]
He should say "you have a gun..........................for some reason I was stricken with the notion that you were a homosexual?"

Like in that movie "anger managment" when JN sees a pic of ASs GF on the desk.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You know, he already knows about some of them. If he had said, "you should show them to me sometime", it's the next step. Then, "hey, do you want to shoot them?" etc. etc.

My dad is an ex-Marine, but drafted during Vietnam, so not a particularly "willing" Marine. My family also does not have a lot of PC crap going on either. Mom was a farm girl, Dad was a Marine...

At this point, I think his biggest concern would only be for me to be careful and not accidentally shoot myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Sharing it with them is far better than them finding out on their own...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The USMC got me hooked.  I grew up in a home with no firearms or family hunters.  I guess you could say I am the black sheep of the family now!  Proud of it I might add.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I guess you could say I am the black sheep of the family now!  Proud of it I might add.

I'm right there with you Tracker. My family thinks I am crazy and I often get "the look."
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Grew up shooting BB guns and .22's, but had not shot for 12-15 years.

My brother bought me a Mac-11 for my birthday a few years ago, and then an AR for Christmas the next year.

Now I'm hooked.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#18]

My brother bought me a Mac-11 for my birthday a few years ago, and then an AR for Christmas the next year.

Full Auto I hope....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Full Auto I hope....

I wish.

Fun to bumpfire though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#20]
This is an interesting topic.   I cant remember a time when I wasn't shooting some kind of gun.  BB guns for years.  I would sneak Dad's .22 out when I got home from school.  I would watch the Flintstones and reload, turn around in the swivel chair put my feet on the window sill and shoot during the comertials.  I used to play sick from school and just go out in the back '40 and shoot the .22 all day.  I miss living out in the sticks.  Then the Army.  And then I bought my personal AR right after I got out.  I could not go without one after spending so much time with one.  I cant imagine not having an AR...  My Dad doesn't enjoy shooting like I do but does shoot and owns guns.  My Mom knows that I "know" what I'm doing with guns and likes that I have a hobby.  I try not to tell them how much money I spend on it, Hell, I try not to tell the wife how much money I spend on it.

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]
My father would take my big brother and I to the end of Marine Drive (east side) where it turned and went up toward Gresham/Troutdale(??) and have us lay prone and shoot into the sand dike.  I had a single shot trap door .22 and my brother a semi auto Colt .22.  We always had guns growing up and shot often.  Never as often as I'd like of course.  First pistol I ever shot at the age of 4 or so was a .357 Black Hawk.... which now rests in my safe.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Definitely an interesting topic.  Like a lot of you, I grew up around guns, although since I lived in town I didn't get to shoot as much as I liked.  The first gun I fired was an Ithaca M49 .22 saddle rifle when I was about 6 or 7.  I remember it like it was yesterday, it was an accurate rifle and sized about right for a kid and I could hit what I was aiming at all day long, one round at a time.

When I turned 8 or 9 my folks bought me my own rifle, a brand new Glenfield 75c .22.  I still have it, and I hate to think how many thousands of rounds I've fired, how many squirrels/rabbits I've shot, and how much fun I've had with that rifle.   I remember the first day I brought it home.  I had no idea what a semi-auto rifle was, and boy did my smile spread across my face when I realized it would fire every time I pulled the trigger!!  Going from a single-shot to a semi was just amazing!!

Since then, I've moved on to shotguns, handguns, anf finally bigger rifles, but I still have about as much fun today running .22 rounds through my old glenfield, 10/22, 22/45, or the ithaca m49 I bought last year! :-)

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I grew up around the military but was not allowed to have toy guns even.....just GI Joes.

Now look at me MOM AND DAD!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I also grew up on military bases, mainly overseas.  So my first personal experience with guns was when we, as kids, went out exploring around the base and found some old pieces from WWII.  Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines was hit the same day Pearl Harbor got hit, and was soon taken over by the Japanese.  So in the hills around the base it wasn't unusual to find all kinds of weapons and armament.  Of course the military and US Customs wouldn't let you keep them or ship them back stateside, but it was a hoot when you found something that actually still worked...and didn't get blown up while messing around with it

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't really know.  

The first gun I remember shooting was owned my a frined of my dad.  Not sure what it was, but it was black, had a large detacheable mag, and a scope.  I think I was about 8.  I remember the recoil was kindof unpleasant, and I don't think I hit anything.  

Later, it was a 10/22 my dad has, then his cop issued .38, then the Glock (loved da plastic gun from day one), then the mini-14, Marlin Camp 9, his buddies Garand, EKinOR's AR (first somewhat knowledgeable experience with an EBR).  I bought a couple guns after joining the navy.  Then EK's M16 and suppressed Vector Uzi (transferable, and for sale).  After that, I started putting myself in the poorhouse buying my own toys...

Hi, my name is John, and I'm an addict...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I grew up in a somewhat anti-gun home, but I was definitely born with gun-nut-itis.  Since then I've swayed my parents (who still live in FL), to the point where my Dad asks me to bring my pistol w/me when I visit so we can walk in the sawgrass -- he thinks a .45 will stop a gator!  I'm just happy he's changed his views.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I have the the first three rifle I shot at home in my safe....and them some. Munk, glad to see others hold on to those kind of things!
I grew up shooting year round. Got my first rifle on my sixth birthday. Was turned loose with ti and a box of shells around 10(4th grade). Getting a box of 22 shells was like getting candy to other kids. I spent whole summers just outside packing one of my 22s around the woods shooting anything tha needed shootin. Now days, if i let my 13 year old go out back with a rifle and box of shells I would lilkey get my kids taken away for child abuse

The key was my parents. Father a marine, mother hawaiin. Both very self sufficent and believed that one could provide for themselves with a few basic skills. One being, marksmanship.

NoAim I wish you luck with dad and hope he is ok with it all.
CH
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Update: He found the ammo stash.

Only phrase was: "Do you think you have enough ammo?" as he looks at at least 4 cases of .223, 1 of .308 and 1 of .40S&W.

My (only) response was: "No, not yet."

Overall he just wanted to make sure I was being safe etc. I was honest and said that most of the competitions I go to are 2 minutes of shooting, 30 minutes of BS'ing with the other shooters.

I may play a bit of show and tell later tonight if it doesn't get too late (he's packing the bags).
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't remember ever not being around firearms and shooting.  I remember going out in the desert to shoot but mostly everything was too big for  me to even hold.   My Dad did buy a CAR-15 so me and my sister could shoot a "big" gun.  But later I was given my first rifle by my Grandfather, a Winchester 67A, when I was four.  The collection just keeps growing and now I have my Dad's too.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Well at least he didnt freak out and go east coast lib on ya!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top