Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 1:25:48 PM EDT
just curious if the shoot at CMMG was called off today, and if not, if anyone got any pics?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't called off, but I don't think there will be many pics.  Cameras don't like the kind of weather we had today.  

It was a tough day, especially for the folks putting on the show.  Still it seemed that everyone (myself included) where having a good time.  John and Jeff and the rest of CMMG where working extra hard today.  The RO's really took one for the team today.  

Wet, and Cold!  It was still fun.  Just a little too cold and wet for me.  I took off after a few hours.  There where a lot more people than I thought would show up.

I thought just a few (10 to 20) "die hards" would show, but there where a lot more people there than that.  So I guess there are more "die hards" out here than I thought.  The RO's, and the staff of CMMG where the real "die hards".  

I'm sure that there will be some pictures being posted, but you'll have to wait until John and Jeff get everyone pulled out of the mud.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]
i wanted to go, but ive been sick with strep throat for about the last 3 weeks, plus i need some more mags and money for ammo so its one of those deals.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Four of us showed up, and lasted about 90 minutes!  It was some tough conditions to be outside in.

We still had fun, and look forward to the next, hopefully dry, event!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Went with billpete, learned a lot, can't wait for the next (dry) shoot...

To the guy whose name I didn't get in the big Dodge truck, thanks for snatching my ass out of the mud...

CMMG staff and Jeff...thanks for talking us into coming and shooting, we'll be there for the next one...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I went halfway through a course of fire, the timer quit, and so did I!

The December one may have been a lot colder, but to me it was far more tolerable!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It was miserable. A bad day shooting is better than a good day doing nothing though. I would like to thank the RO's and Jeff and John for putting up with it. The shooters could at least warm up. They (RO'S) were in the crap all day. It was good to finally put a face to a lot of names. Im sure we wont see any results. The sheets were mush by the time it was over. I cant wait until the next one!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Too @#$% cold/wet but it was good to see everyone again after all this time.

Thanks to Jeff for pulling me out of the mud and to everyone that helped push/pull as we tried.  Not sure how my Ford was able to push Jeff's Chevy forward...must have been a magic chain

After getting stuck in the mud ScottMO and I were too cold/wet/frustrated to even get a gun out of the ruck and shoot.  We drove over two hours and didn't even fire a shot.  As we drove to the shoot we just hoped the rain would let up.

We were hurting for some trigger time by the time we got home so we stopped at an indoor range in Independence and shot the following.  Boy it felt good to be dry and shooting a gun.

1. AR-15 9mm SBR
2. Saiga 12 Tromix 8" (should have seen the fire ball as we dumped a 10 rnd mag)
3. MP5K-PDW
4. FN 5.7

That sure hit the spot but I don't think it will hold us until the next shoot.

On the topic of next shoot....anything in the planning yet???

Thanks to the CMMG team and all the RO that worked their asses in some poor conditions.  Mike sure looked rough...I hope your feeling OK.

I heard their was a tornado warning near Holden...hope there wasn't any damage or anyone injured.

It was great that the Hotdog guy stayed around in the poor conditions, that dog sure hit the spot in the cold.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I was a R.O today and thanks for the kind word of all the guys that posted. Also thanks for coming out to shoot I always enjoy meeting all the new shooters. And there were a lot of first tomers today.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tornadoes hit south of Holden, no damage that I've heard of.  So that's good.

My little Civic made it out of the mud bog without having to be towed, I was so proud of it!  I felt like Colin McRae in a rally car tearassing around in the mud.

Worst... shoot... ever.  Only time I've ever gone out, gone home, and never fired a single round.  Almost regretted coming out but my wife gave me the green light on a $550 CAR-15 from the used ARs bin at the shop, so that made it worthwhile.  Best AR deal ever more than makes up for worst shoot ever.

Oh hell yeah.  That was truly unpleasant weather to shoot in.  I shot COF #1 and then I packed it up.  I was able to keep nothing but my feet dry (I now LOVE my Wolverine hunting boots BTW).  Even the rain coat eventually soaked through.  My Eclipse actually made it out too, I was concerned that with the ruts out there I would not be able get back out. My car is nothing but foulness, grime and mud on the inside.  I'm still happy that I made it out there and everyone owes the RO's a serious thanks.  That could not have been fun.

Duke, I did eventually just give up and let the bitch get wet .
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My little Civic made it out of the mud bog without having to be towed, I was so proud of it!  I felt like Colin McRae in a rally car tearassing around in the mud.

Worst... shoot... ever.  Only time I've ever gone out, gone home, and never fired a single round.  Almost regretted coming out but my wife gave me the green light on a $550 CAR-15 from the used ARs bin at the shop, so that made it worthwhile.  Best AR deal ever more than makes up for worst shoot ever.

I beleive the truth has been discovered.  Cold, wet miserable conditions are Duke's kryptonite.  It prevents him from firing at inhuman speeds.

I want to extend a heartfelt thanks to all the ROs that toughed it out ALL day.  In the past, anytime there has been severe weather, attendence has been down. Today was not the case.   People came out of the woodwork.  I never heard any of the ROs complaining or grumbling.  I am so thankful for this bunch that pitched in and made today possible for so many.  It was truly extraordinary.  Thanks to all.  If any of the ROs did not receive a gift certificate please IM us so we can get one out to you. Thanks again and thanks to all in attendence.  I hope to see everyone back under more favorable conditions.

I should have photos up Monday. My server and email are currently fried.  Grrr.  I got some good ones!

You just werent around us long enough LOL. I have to say, this by far had to be the most miserable i have ever been while @ a shoot, my feet still havent warmed up since i got home. There towards the end i know that greg and myself were both just completely shot, i dont think i could of stood out there another minute without losing my mind, thank god Linda had hot choclate up @ the shop, i almost felt human after drinking 2 steaming hot cups of that stuff, on that note, Linda saved my life,i oh her one Don't get me wrong , i still had fun, helli got to shoot rays new tromax saiga, my god that thing is friggin awsome, ray is a bad bad man for lettin me shoot that, i now have to figure out a way to et one
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]

oh by the time we where back to Springfield it was sunny and in the fifties
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, now I kind of don't feel as bad for bailing out.  But, I kind of feel bad for not coming anyways, cause it sounds like you all could have used my Jeep and it's recovery gear!  

I sure hope we have another shoot before the big shoot in May.  (hint hint, nudge nudge)

Oh, and my $20 entry fee?  Please use it to buy a case of Beer for CMMG and the RO's!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I shot COF #1 and then I packed it up.

How many guys shot all three COF's? I know me and my two buddies did. Im just curious who stuck it out. I didnt realize so many people left early.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How many guys shot all three COF's? I know me and my two buddies did. Im just curious who stuck it out. I didnt realize so many people left early.

I shot all three, though I cheated and used a bipod on the long-range stage.  It didn't help BTW as I couldn't hit squat at the long ranges since I hadn't had a chance to sight the rifle in at any distance farther than 25yds.  And an EOTech is not the best choice for such distant shots either.  I will be getting a low-powered scope to replace it on that rifle.

I did great at the pistol only stage, 13.something seconds and finished the shotgun/rifle stage firing just 20rds on a 14rd course.  I knocked over all 4 steel plates with one shot of 00buck and the crowd roared.  However I lost that advantage when it took about 4 rounds each to finally hit 2 of those crazy clay pigeons.  The combo of 00buck and cylinder bore barrel must have been shooting donuts around the pigeons.  Though the plates on the spinner had no problems flying off for me with a single shot.  

And JBowles, How in the hell did your rifle get that cruddy and rusty?  I've never seen rust like that on an AR15?  Did you shoot the thing in saltwater or didja take a nosedive into the pudding?  I guess I'd better go clean my rifles right now!  Though honestly I don't expect anywhere near that level of crud and there'd better not be any rust in this short amount of time.

To the ROs, a huge THANK YOU!

You guys are my heroes, most of you (all?) never even getting to shoot and generally looking rather miserable all day.

And I must say that I stayed mostly dry all day.  I needed more "spare" gloves though as those are fairly disposable once they inevitably get wet, adn they will get wet.  I do need to upgrade my rain gear as the Stearns rain pants weren't totally impermeable to the moisture.  And the choice to wear a pair of long-johns was a good decision on my part yesterday morning.    My feet however remained 100% dry.  My footgear consisted of cheap $30 Walmart Brahma leather "waterproof" boots, given 2-3 heavy coats of Herman's "Water Proofer" spray (also from Walmart), a pair of cheap wool blend socks from Costco inside of a pair of cheap longer wool blend socks from Cabelas.

And finally and mostly, a double-huge THANK YOU to the kind soul who loaned/gave me a surplus 100% wool "watch cap" to wear.  I'm sorry I couldn't remember your name but I am indebted to you.  My Tilley hat is waterproof, but that doesn't help much when you sweat on the inside and wet = cold.

All told, I'd do it again with you guys in a heartbeat.  However I would like to upgrade my raingear a bit first.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#17]
me and my buddy mike were there, we tried our best at all 3 COFs. it was our first try at this type of shooting

lessons learned:

1.) properly zero EOtech before shooting course

2.) tell my friend to have more than 2 pistol magazines

3.) come back when the weather is better

it took me probably 15 seconds to try to pull the slide back on the glock i was using because it was so wet and muddy and my hands hurt so bad
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

snip

it took me probably 15 seconds to try to pull the slide back on the glock i was using because it was so wet and muddy and my hands hurt so bad

I remember you, that thing was being a bitch to you. Magpul needs to make a ranger plate for the Glock slide. You still shot the pistol course well.

Thanks right back about the RO accolades.

I just kept saying "WWED" to stay focused

"What Would Eric Do"
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
woops meant to send an pm
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hey duke, how did you get across that river/field that on H that had about 12" of water across the road?
PS
Thanks to the RO's for sticking it out!

Lesson's learned:
*I need better rain gear
*I need the sides for my EZ-Set shelter
*I need to put new batteries in the eotech before each match (be quiet AFSOC I don't need to hear about your tritium again)

I'm sure there will be lots of things I'll change for next time, but that's it for now.

Polytech
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#22]
^ need to get an AEM bypass valve. Always good to see an imprezza in its element. Whats with the helmet? Im glad that i didnt head up there in this case since i just had my grand prix and didnt have time to go home and borrow the tahoe from the rents.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
ah, hopefully vtec didnt kick in while you were trying to go through the mud.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a freaking blast!!!!!!!!!!!!! Polytech kid and I shot all three courses of fire.  I Really only shot 2.5 COF because on the rifle course I was so surprised the little five seven was able to knock the plates out of the pin wheel I cleared my gun and went strait to the poppers completely forgetting to engage the 15 silhouettes!!!!!! ARRGGGGG cold wet weather can affect  the judgment I’m sure.  I stayed dry 100% I had great footwear and a simple rain suit that I wore over everything and was just fine.  THANKS TO THE ROs to CMMG for being a great place where like minded people can gather BS, fellowship, and make new friends.  CMMG is truly beginning to be one of my favorite places on earth.  THANKS GUYS~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!H
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OH ONE MORE THING that little demon popper on the pistol course had a voodoo curse on it for me………..

Not me!  I loved how far back that thing flopped when hit with 230 grains of FMJ .45ACP goodness!  And I love my Glock 21.  I can't miss with that thing!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"What Would Eric Do"

I'll tell ya what Eric would do.  He would spend 6+ hours cleaning 2 rifles, 1 shotgun and 1 pistol.  That's what he would do.  

Gee, I've never taken the ghost ring rear sight assembly apart on my Mossberg before.  But since rust was oozing out from under it, I have now.  

Oh, okay.  I spent a little bit of that 6 hours swapping mounts & optics on my SW5.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Not me!  I loved how far back that thing flopped when hit with 230 grains of FMJ .45ACP goodness!  And I love my Glock 21.  I can't miss with that thing!

Yes you kicked the pistol courses ass, best time running, right up until you fired the rifle portion. That pressure wave emanating from your muzzle brake was impressive to say the least.

I can’t imagine what a .50 inside a room would be like, probably cause a nose bleed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"What Would Eric Do"

I'll tell ya what Eric would do.  He would spend 6+ hours cleaning 2 rifles, 1 shotgun and 1 pistol.  That's what he would do.  

Gee, I've never taken the ghost ring rear sight assembly apart on my Mossberg before.  But since rust was oozing out from under it, I have now.  

Oh, okay.  I spent a little bit of that 6 hours swapping mounts & optics on my SW5.  

Indeed.  While in general the DSA held up quite well to the 'moisture', or being utterly soaked in water everywhere the gas tube and piston spring did not.   The XD 9mm faired even worse.  Rust in the chamber and on the exterior.  I'm still not certain I've got all the water out of them yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#32]
See that guy there?

He had a hell of a good time Saturday! I'd do it all over again and that's no shit.  

Sorry if I didn't score as well as I'm sure some would have liked but I couldn't see those poppers way the hell out there. I promise I'll do a better job next time.

Lots of cool guns, gear & people. I learned a lot about what works and what kinda works, like a 33rd mag is the ticket, cotton gloves suck and bring a sammich.

Thanks for letting me be a part of it. Now when's the next one!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Indeed.  While in general the DSA held up quite well to the 'moisture', or being utterly soaked in water everywhere the gas tube and piston spring did not.   The XD 9mm faired even worse.  Rust in the chamber and on the exterior.  I'm still not certain I've got all the water out of them yet.

Ahh, that was you that was kicking ass and taking names on the plates with the FAL.  I finally put a face with the screen name.

My excuse was that I hadn't sighted the rifle in beyond 25yds and it just had an EOtech, no magnification. I will be trading that scope out for a nice low-powered scope.  The good news is that the rifle worked 100%.  YEA!!!

And actually, the rifle I shot on that stage, a custom-built HK91 pattern rifle, faired better with regards to rust & crud than did my blued Mossberg 590 and my Romy AK.  Apparently the finish that the builder put on the HK is fairly crud-proof.    The shotgun however was a total bitch and had to be stripped completely down to the bare frame including removing the mag tube and disassembling the rear ghost ring sight assembly.  

Once I had everything apart is when I decided that my usually routine of Mobil-1 oil on Q-tips wasn't gonna cut it this time.  I needed aerosolization!  So off to WallyWorld I went to buy some cans of RemOil.  I spent more $$ on gun stuff that trip than I did on food.  

Even my AK had rust creeping out from the nooks & crannies.  My Glock however only required a dry rag to wipe away the water and burned powder residue and a few fresh drops of oil just out of sheer guilt.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#34]
This match made me want to coat everything in norrell's molly resin so I don't have to worry about moisture.  Oddly enough the gun that had the most rust was my 1911 that didn't even leave it's case, guess I need a pelican case to keep stuff dry.  

Polytech

PS:
Ammo, breakfast, fuel to get to match.....$100.00
Range fee...........................................$ 20.00
Watching 69camaro fail to engage 15 targets.....PRICELESS!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
This match made me want to coat everything in norrell's molly resin so I don't have to worry about moisture.  Oddly enough the gun that had the most rust was my 1911 that didn't even leave it's case, guess I need a pelican case to keep stuff dry.  

Polytech

PS:

I think Kerry dinged him for 15 fail to engage & 15 fail to neutralize.

not really but I did laugh hard. I thought he was being nice so I didn't have to paste!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Polytech

PS:

I think Kerry dinged him for 15 fail to engage & 15 fail to neutralize.

not really but I did laugh hard. I thought he was being nice so I didn't have to paste!

All I know is he's not going to forget that stage for at least a year
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh, that was you that was kicking ass and taking names on the plates with the FAL.  I finally put a face with the screen name.

My excuse was that I hadn't sighted the rifle in beyond 25yds and it just had an EOtech, no magnification. I will be trading that scope out for a nice low-powered scope.  The good news is that the rifle worked 100%.  YEA!!!

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever get what my real score was on that run though as I think the timer crapped out in the middle of the run somewhere.  Anyway I didn't have enough pistol mags to get through the 30 rounds for the man targets and the shooting star.  I'm sure I got plenty of penalty time added.  I had a blast on the plates though, that's rally what I came for. I couldn't get that damn far plate at 300.  I couldn't settle my breathing down enough.  My FAL ran great too but it did fail to lock back on the last round and that was a little something new.  It was doing perfect at the range the day before.

I love that rifle.  It's the most reliable beast I own and if I crank the gas down it will run with sandpaper in the action.  It was fun to see those plates lay down flat.  It didn't leave any doubt when it hit one .

I now know who you are too.  I remember you commenting on the 25yd zero.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#38]
very pissed at my explorer for breaking when it did, I even made it to a gas station to fill up on the way and the starter just didnt want to work one more time for me.

I would have liked to stick out the cold and rain to see some competition.  Sorry I didnt make it to help out guys/gals, I was definately looking forward to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top