Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 3:04:49 PM EDT
I'm moving that way later this year and have posted a few threads on that recently...

After reading the law and talking with the Boone county sheriff's office, it looks like KY does not accept out of state CCW permits past 120 days. And they don't transfer renewals from other states either, so my only option she said was to retake the course.

I'm also in NRA instructor and taught CCW classes in MO for almost 2 years. She said I still would have to take the class and that it didn't really matter. I just read something about KY about to pass a law allowing NRA courses to count towards ccw... If that's the case, would being an instructor not be sufficient? Just didn't know if someone on here knew something she didn't She seemed kinda unsure about some of the questions and directed me to another number to call for clarification.

And if not, any recommendations for a class around Boone county?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2015 5:28:37 PM EDT by softpoint]
Originally Posted By Blister64:
I'm moving that way later this year and have posted a few threads on that recently...

After reading the law and talking with the Boone county sheriff's office, it looks like KY does not accept out of state CCW permits past 120 days. And they don't transfer renewals from other states either, so my only option she said was to retake the course.

I'm also in NRA instructor and taught CCW classes in MO for almost 2 years. She said I still would have to take the class and that it didn't really matter. I just read something about KY about to pass a law allowing NRA courses to count towards ccw... If that's the case, would being an instructor not be sufficient? Just didn't know if someone on here knew something she didn't She seemed kinda unsure about some of the questions and directed me to another number to call for clarification.

View Quote

You are correct. The new law will not take effect until June 25th and the details of how it will work has not been worked out yet. NRA courses will be a viable substitute for the Ky. CCDW course that has always been required. The details of what NRA course will work is unknown right now, but the wording of the bill suggests that any NRA firearms course will do. You don't say which state issued your current license or your current state of residence or exactly when you will become a resident of Ky. Those could be a factor in what works best for you. Also be aware that documented military training is acceptable as CCDW training. The 120 day grace period only works if the license you have now is from a state that has reciprocity with Ky. Assuming this is the case and you arrive here after the new law takes effect and that the Dept. of Criminal Justice training publishes new rules in time for you to take advantage of it, you could use your existing license for 120 days then apply using you NRA certification (or military firearms training), then apply using the online process and have your Ky. license in about two weeks. I know this sound confusing, it confused me when I typed it, but all of this is unsettled right now and will have to work itself out as time passes. The bottom line is, you do have possible alternatives and you could possibly get through this change without missing a day of having a valid license and no time or expense lost for training. You would still have to pay the application fees and a fee to the county sheriff. Good luck and enjoy Ky.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:35:16 PM EDT
Around Boone County, I highly recommend Joe Kalil at Defensive Handgun Training. I just went through his instructor course, and it was probably one of the best classes I have ever been to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:28:31 AM EDT

View Quote

I second the recommendation of Joe Kalil. I checked the Mo. Attorney General's website and there is no reciprocity between Ky. and Mo. You did not definitely say that you lived in Mo. You said that you had been an NRA instructor in Mo for 2 years, but that could have been a long time ago. If you have a Mo. concealed carry license, it only means that you would not qualify for the 120 day grace period. You still may be able to avoid taking the training class due to the reasons that I mentioned before.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:20:26 AM EDT
Well it's been kind of a confusing situation, but I lived in MO, moved to KS last year, and my CCW permit expires in about 6 weeks. KS will allow CCW without a permit starting in July, so I'm thinking I'll just not renew my CCW in KS since that is going on, plus I'll have to probably retake the KY class once I get there. Hopefully my instructor status will be enough once the new law goes through and everything is figured out and in writing.

Thank you all for your help I'll look up that instructor once I move there in August if I need to take a course.

Really looking forward to meeting some of you btw, everyone has been very helpful with my questions!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:16:33 AM EDT
Not trying to stir up any crap but your questions make me wonder...

1) Why would any training that did not specifically cover KY's CCDW laws be a viable replacement for the current class?
2) Why would anyone want to get a license for CCDW but not be instructed in the laws that are applicable?

I can see a number of NRA classes or Mil training replacing a lot of the class (gun nomenclature, cleaning, marksmanship, etc.). However I cannot see how those would replace the really boring videos that attempt to scare you out of ever using your weapon. Those videos are painfully boring but make it impossible for you not to understand the laws pertaining to the use of deadly force and what the permit allows.

I know some will say it is the responsibility of the individual to learn the laws (or not). That is all well and good but I have to think me finding and learning the information on my own would have been even worse than watching the videos.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:19:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JSG:
Not trying to stir up any crap but your questions make me wonder...

1) Why would any training that did not specifically cover KY's CCDW laws be a viable replacement for the current class?
2) Why would anyone want to get a license for CCDW but not be instructed in the laws that are applicable?

I can see a number of NRA classes or Mil training replacing a lot of the class (gun nomenclature, cleaning, marksmanship, etc.). However I cannot see how those would replace the really boring videos that attempt to scare you out of ever using your weapon. Those videos are painfully boring but make it impossible for you not to understand the laws pertaining to the use of deadly force and what the permit allows.

I know some will say it is the responsibility of the individual to learn the laws (or not). That is all well and good but I have to think me finding and learning the information on my own would have been even worse than watching the videos.
View Quote

No shit stirring here...

1) Certain states will allow you to transfer your certificate from the state you CCW class was taken, as long as it covers the basic requirements of the current states class. KS is one of those states. That being said, I've never done this yet, and I don't know the fine details of this. If that state's law is not included, it may be invalid. But why would they offer a transfer knowing that you wouldn't be review another state's law? So, since it was possible with other states, I was wondering if someone knew about KY's stance on this. Which is a big no.

2) This I understand. I completely agree that you should be taught the laws. But, if I were allowed to transfer my license to another state, I personally would be sure to know the laws forwards and backwards. But that's me. I carry daily, so I want to know my rights. Plus I will most likely be looking into getting my instructor status in KY, so I'd have to know the laws .

Someone could use the same argument with a drivers license I suppose. Why should you be able to transfer without taking the KY written or driving test that reviews laws specific to KY? It's up to the person to review and know these.

If it was possible, I just wanted to see if there was a transfer option. The law would be my responsibility. But for now, looks like I'll be taking a class, which is fine. Never a bad thing getting more training
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:32:06 AM EDT
I understand your answers and did throw the questions out there in general (not targeting you).

Just a FYI, the instructor class will get you a KY CCDW license and the instructor license. If you want to be an instructor, you should just use that class to cover all your bases. If not, you get to sit through the "normal" training twice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:26:46 PM EDT
Oh no worries, I didn't take it personal.

And that is very good to know... I may have my wife and I do that together so we can teach classes together. Sometimes it's nice having a female instructor in the mix, seems that you can get some female students in there that you might not have before.

Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:36:58 PM EDT

And that is very good to know... I may have my wife and I do that together so we can teach classes together. Sometimes it's nice having a female instructor in the mix, seems that you can get some female students in there that you might not have before.

Thank you for the info!
View Quote

I suggest that you wait until the new law is in effect and see what the details are. I very strongly believe that your NRA instructors certification will allow you to bypass the training requirement for a Ky. CCDW and also allow you to instruct others for their license. If you are not arriving in Ky. until fall, this should all be clear by then.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:42:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By softpoint:

I suggest that you wait until the new law is in effect and see what the details are. I very strongly believe that your NRA instructors certification will allow you to bypass the training requirement for a Ky. CCDW and also allow you to instruct others for their license. If you are not arriving in Ky. until fall, this should all be clear by then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By softpoint:

Thank you for the info!

I will be doing this. It's good to have all the ammo (info) I can get though Hopefully this new law will work out in my favor though!
Top Top