Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 4:51:48 PM EDT
Well, I don't REALLY hate my dogs, I hate what they do.  Know what I hate more?  Somebody is coming into my yard during the day and abusing my dogs.

For instance:
I come home to find their chains tied up in knots that you need opposible thumbs to tie.
I come home to find their chains wrapped around items from my wood pile that I know they cant reach.
I come home to find random items in their AO that I know they couldn't reach.
come home to find items within their reach that when I pick the item up (toy bat, whatever) they visibly FLINCH!

So, what do I do?
Call the cops?
Set up cameras?
Canvas the neighborhood?

This shit pisses me off.  I'm assuming that it is a day sleeper and the fact that my dogs bark during the day bothers them.  So this person's Idea of a solution is to abuse them.

ETA: I understand how annoying a dogs barking can be, but this is NOT the way to fix it!  I have several neighbors with dogs who (surprise surprise) bark during the day.  They have also mentioned coming home to "wierd" situations with their dogs when they get home.  One neighbor came home to a dog with ductape around the dogs mouth.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Train your dogs how to use your ar-15?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
How many posts have we had on how to deal with annoying barking dogs? You seem to be on the wrong side of the trend.

Take a day off, have someone drive your vehicle away and set up surveylance. When they come over to beat your dogs, well, you get the idea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Set up a video camera, going to be the only way you will get enough proof to have the cops do anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
SSS, all is good....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Set up a video camera, going to be the only way you will get enough proof to have the cops do anything.

Cops? PCR said he LIKES his dogs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cops? PCR said he LIKES his dogs.

If anyone gets to shoot beat my dogs...its ME!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Doesn't matter that your dogs are barking. (well, it does but...) The only way an idiot that does shit to torment a dog is going to stop is a visit from the PoPo. Make sure the time code is visible.

ETA: We trained our dog not to lick us or bark. She still barks but I usually invesigate with a nine mil when she does.

Anti-Bark Spray Collar
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#9]
When we lived in Vancouver we had neighborhood kids that would torment our Brittany.  They'd throw rocks and dirt clods at it over the fence.  I caught them several times, but the parents always adopted the "not my little angel" atitude.  Finally got a hidden video camera and got it on tape.  The parents then got a visit from a deputy and the problem stopped.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I was really hoping someone could post a link to those sentry guns they had on Aliens.  Oh well, the collar and camera combination sound good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered finding a way to keep your dogs from annoying your neighbors in the first place? Sorry for saying it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you considered finding a way to keep your dogs from annoying your neighbors in the first place? Sorry for saying it.

I understand that the barking can be annoying however Doing what I suspect he/she is doing on MY property to MY dogs is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a good compromise: Find out who the busterd is, then beat him to death with the dog. Maybe they'll BOTH learn something.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here's a good compromise: Find out who the busterd is, then beat him to death with the dog. Maybe they'll BOTH learn something.

I LIKE IT!!!

(Still won't get me my Aliens sentry gun )

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand that the barking can be annoying however Doing what I suspect he/she is doing on MY property to MY dogs is unacceptable.

I agree, but are you going to answer the question?

BTW bobbity, what's a busterd?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, but are you going to answer the question?

BTW bobbity, what's a busterd?

Of course I have.  I'm not an asshole.  I made it pretty clear that I knew that dogs barking in the middle of the day can be annoying.  Still absolutely NO excuse for coming onto MY property.  I have already considered the spray device listed above.

Of course nobody has manned up and knocked on my door to complain either.  I can't be sure that the dogs are barking all that much when I am not at home.  Only lived here 6+ years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
So, do the camera thing... then when you know who the guy is... f*** up his lawn in the middle of the night.  Spray paint on his lawn "animal abuser"  The spray paint will kill the grass and make it permanent until he reseeds and waits a couple of seasons.  Write a note that says, "if the attacks continue, the counter attacks will escalate in severity."
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Put a fence so you don't have to chain your dogs.  Buy a bark collar.  If you really think someone is molesting your dogs while you're away then you should report it to the police.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Put a fence so you don't have to chain your dogs.  Buy a bark collar.  If you really think someone is molesting your dogs while you're away then you should report it to the police.  Patty

These two escape artists would be out of the fence and roaming the streets within 5 minutes of my departure.  Even with the new fence they have broken out while I was at home!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These two escape artists would be out of the fence and roaming the streets within 5 minutes of my departure.  Even with the new fence they have broken out while I was at home!

electronic fences work great!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Throw balonga on there car during a hot day and if there not careful they will rip off the paint
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Throw balonga on there car during a hot day and if there not careful they will rip of the paint

Paint sticks to bologna better than primer? Never heard that one before.

There sure a lot of people anxious to get PCR's dogs introduced to the police. Sometimes its hard to get what we preceive to be a satisfactory response from the po-po for a "legit" crime, let alone a dog molestation.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Where's the pictures of your dogs?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOPE! Tried that, they figured out that the pain was temporary....got out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#28]
you know if you lived here, our noise ordinance is pretty lax. Form 6:00 am to 10:00 pm you can be as loud as you want, and that includes dogs barking.  I work nights so you know what I do when I hear a dog bark while I'm sleeping?  Absolutly nothing......except rollover and go back to sleep.  When you work nights you just gotta make consesions or you go nuts.   We had some problems with our neighbors beating our dog, and he didn't even bark very much, they just didn't like him cause they were scared of him he's a chockolate lab and pitbull mix. I don't remember how many times we had animal control called to our house, complaints about him being lose which were BS he's strong, but not strong enough to snap a grade 8 tow chain or strong enough to pull the house off the foundation( it was bolted through the sil board of the house) when those complaints didn't work they began to claim that his living conditions were abusive, we were inspected and all was found to be well, then they tried to say he had no license and when that didn't work they started the beatings.  I still don't know what neighbor it was that was calling animal control or who beat him but I didn't want him to get mean so he now lives with my folks about two mile from us.   he's very sweet and loving but dumber than a box of rocks,  and I swear he is part billygoat cause he will eat anything, and yes I mean anything, plastic, aluminum, cardboard, and wood it don't matter to him and it doesn't seem to faze him one bit, he even ate the facia board nails and all off the garage with out a hiccup or digestive problem.   But he is a good dog, He trapped my uncle in my parent's garage when he came over unannounced to "borrow" a few of Pop's tools while they weren't home.  my Uncle had to stay in the garage for three hours 'cause Max wouldn't let him out and the over head door was locked with the key.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOPE! Tried that, they figured out that the pain was temporary....got out.

As PCR says the invisible fences don't always work. I have a neighbor's boxer that's "behind" an invisible fence yet roams freely. I've seen him get out. He just runs as hard as he can and "jumps" over it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
1.  Stop your dogs from barking.  It's just plain rude.
2.  Introduce yourself to every neighbor you have.  It will quickly become obvious who is tormenting your dogs when you bring up the subject.  My money says that a personal visit combined with #1, even without a direct accusation, will mitigate any future problems.

Retaliation without first fixing #1 is a bit childish in my opinion.  Your dogs have spilled out of the containment of Your property when their loud barking has affected others in the area.  While I'll agree that the cowardly retaliation you're receiving is unacceptable, it's not too hard to believe that someone else would consider it OK.  

Good luck with this problem.  I think it would be an easy one to fix without anyone getting hurt, property being damaged, nor the police getting involved.  Except for the private shame your personal visit will create for the coward, everyone will still get to save face publicly.

See we know all of our direct neighbors, this guy lives at the end of the street and has been a royal pain in the arse to most of our neighbors for making too much noise during daylight hours.  He works nights and doesn't seem to realize that the rest of the neighborhood doesn't. Maybe if he made himself known to the neighbor hood it might be different but, I'm sorry he needs to take responsibility for that.  I have worked nights before and ear plugs and dark shades are wonderful things.  I don't believe our dogs bark constantly...(I have never heard them when I drive by our house on the main road) but they do start in on it when someone drives up or is in the house.  We can't let them run loose because they will run away, they don't care about bribes (bones and such) and discipline only goes so far especially since you are punishing them for something they do when you are not there but they are supposed to do in this certain criteria.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top