Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:55:38 AM EDT
...to let me know that there are two pickups parked by the Hun Cabin and that someone appears to be hunting turkey!

He said that he was about 300 yards from them and closing slowly...

It's been 30 minutes now, and he hasn't called me back.

Should I be worried?

Well, I am.

Eric The(Worried)Hun
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...to let me know that there are two pickups parked by the Hun Cabin and that someone appears to be hunting turkey!

He said that he was about 300 yards from them and closing slowly...

It's been 30 minutes now, and he hasn't called me back.

Should I be worried?

Well, I am.

Eric The(Worried)Hun

Now I'm worried, too.

Random poachers probably wouldn't have parked by the cabin.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, I got the call from the Game Warden!

It's some of Ricky's folks!

Ricky is the fellow who leases the land for 'farming and agricultural purposes', and 'hunting' is specifically forbidden in the lease.

<sigh>

So, a quick letter to Ricky appears to be the next matter of business.

BTW, the Game Warden said that he ran them off, told them not to come back ever, and that were it not for me saying 'no', they would have been arrested.

Eric The(NextTime,'Yes')Hun
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Ricky     -  -       ETH  

TC

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Was he actually hunting?

Th=at's F'd up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

were it not for me saying 'no', they would have been arrested.

your a better man than i am.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds to me like there needs to be a Mason to Mason talk...  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Get'em  ETH

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Another JBT does a favor for a friend and doesn't enforce the law.  What is the world coming to???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:41:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Didn't this same thing happen about this time last year?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Try and be nice to people, and they will poke you in the eye every time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Make sure you do the secret handshake .
Wear your apron with the crossed ARs on it ....
HAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ricky is the fellow who leases the land for 'farming and agricultural purposes', and 'hunting' is specifically forbidden in the lease.

<sigh>

So, a quick letter to Ricky appears to be the next matter of business.

BTW, the Game Warden said that he ran them off, told them not to come back ever, and that were it not for me saying 'no', they would have been arrested.

Eric The(NextTime,'Yes')Hun

Is this the same Game Warden that has complained to you about various other misdeeds (trash in river, etc)?

We have some family property out near Athens, and after a few incursions, I've been pondering marketing a better "No Tresspassing" sign....

!!! WARNING  !!!
Private Shooting Range
Tresspass at your own Risk!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

We did, sorta.

When we were talking, I referred to him constantly as 'Brother Ricky', and if he didn't get the message from that, well, he's more dense than one of those cedars TRG keeps trying to cut down and throw in the fire pit.

What I did say to him was this: 'Brother Ricky, you know that I never hunt on the Farm, and I've got about 100 folks or so who I could have out here next hunting season to wipe the whitetail population and turkeys off the map.  Also, 20, or so, of my lawyer friends back in Dallas, who've I've visited with me out here, keep pleading with me to give them a hunting lease for $10,000.00 per person per year. Just think of that, Brother Ricky, about $200,000.00 a year in income directly to me.'

'And it's as easy as breaking faith with some distant cousins, who I'll never see again, and who never come out here, ever.'

'So, let's not see who can hunt the Farm into a wasteland, OK?'

<sigh>

He probably still hasn't gotten the message. Such are the hardships of absentee ownership.

Deer lease, anyone?

Eric The(Mercenary)Hun
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is this the same Game Warden that has complained to you about various other misdeeds (trash in river, etc)?

No, my stepson complained when he went out there shortly after one of our shoots, and I was worried about this particular Game Warden seeing the damage in the River, and thinking that we were not the sort of folks he thought us to be.

A couple of years ago, he did see some trash in the River and I heard that he complained to Ricky, but he didn't complain to me.

I got the message, though.

He's a great guy, and has joined us in some of our shoots in the past.

He has a picture that I took and had framed of him shooting an H&K PDW in full-auto mode, with brass flying, on his desk in Quanah.

We have some family property out near Athens, and after a few incursions, I've been pondering marketing a better "No Tresspassing" sign....

!!! WARNING  !!!
Private Shooting Range

First thing you'll get is a mess of bulletholes in that sign!

Eric The(WizenedOld)Hun
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Another JBT does a favor for a friend and doesn't enforce the law.  What is the world coming to???

Seems to me to be a problem between a landlord and a tenant.  If the owner of the land says no foul, then there is no foul.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OTOH - I *will* defend myself if those Turkeys get belligerent with me again.

What could we do?  He was coming right for us!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#19]

!!! WARNING  !!!
Private Shooting Range

We have a friend owned ranch we hunt in Canton.  Just took TRG out there.  We have had major problems with some guy from Athens tresspassing and hunting.  He used to live at this ranch asked the "NEW" ranch owner if he could hunt.  They said NO, thier kids ride horses and 4-wheelers and the didnt want an hunters out there (other than me and my guests after hogs).  He told her strieght to face he would hunt it anway and there wasnt a damn thing she could do about it.  cussed her out and her worker (6' 7" black guy) and left.  She called me freaking out.  She called the sheriff and G.W. the Game wardens posted out a few nites but didnt get em.  In the last few mo.s they have cut the fence in two spots and left dead hogs on the trails numerous times.  We heard them one night and called the GW but they slipped out the back.  Still tring to catch em.  Some mexican guy, cant remember the name.  Was told by other people in the area and the GW he is know for this kind of thing in Canton and Athens.  Runs dogs.  The GW says the have been trying to get him for a while.  We will one of these days.  I have a PVS-14 and he doesnt (yes TRG I know you laughing at the sight of it )
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The GW says the have been trying to get him for a while.  We will one of these days.  I have a PVS-14 and he doesnt

I guess this poacher has never heard of the travails of a certain golf course night watchman.

He'll get his.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Let me know when the stakeout is planned.  I have a shovel.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll let ya know .  Looks like I about got TRG talked into Gen3 NV (Getting a good GREAT deal) bring 2 shovels he hunts with friends.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I want in on this !
Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#25]
You know the Hun Farm at night would be the perfect setting for an episode on the show Scare Tactics! Ha! We could have some fun
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You know the Hun Farm at night would be the perfect setting for an episode on the show Scare Tactics! Ha! We could have some fun

Night vision, supressed weapons, and strategically placed tannerite could make for some very frightened "guests."  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#27]
1) I am an experienced anti-poacher. I have learned from experience that poachers will not call the authorities when you shoot up their vehicles during one of their poaching sessions. They just leave on foot so they don't have to deal with the GW or the felony charge.

2) Some of the fine folks here on ARFCOM would never shoot a dog.
I am not one of those fine folks, I guess it's some LEO geneology somewhere in my family.  

3) I would hate to miss the stakeout if it happens. You could charge a fee and I would still show up.

4) I really hate poachers.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
1) I am an experienced anti-poacher. I have learned from experience that poachers will not call the authorities when you shoot up their vehicles during one of their poaching sessions. They just leave on foot so they don't have to deal with the GW or the felony charge.

2) Some of the fine folks here on ARFCOM would never shoot a dog.
I am not one of those fine folks, I guess it's some LEO geneology somewhere in my family.  

3) I would hate to miss the stakeout if it happens. You could charge a fee and I would still show up.

4) I really hate poachers.

1) "Sherriff, I'm engaging in lawful target practice on my property. So what if my target was trash someone unlawfully dumped on my property?"

2) I love dogs, but I read a TPWD report a few years back... it said that in some parts of Texas, pet dogs left to roam will harrass deer to the point that the deer cannot take in enough calories to survive.  If someone lets their dogs roam on my property, they are fair game.  Shame on me if I let my dogs roam like that... I don't want them shot, so I keep them under control to the best of my ability.

3) time and place ?  :)

4) I hate poachers too.... but hunters who commit minor infractions (a day or 2 out of season, accidentally taking a species similar to one that is in season, unwittingly crossing a property line, etc) aren't poaching.... dumbasses, yes.  Knowingly tresspassing on someone's private property is bad enough; poaching makes it that much worse!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By lordtrader.
Hunting

Nongame animal? Just cus it's not in the book doesn't mean you can't shoot it....hen
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By lordtrader.
Hunting poachers....wouldn't that be poaching in it of itself. Since they are never in season and you don't have a license for it(IE game warden)

Nongame animal? Just cus it's not in the book doesn't mean you can't shoot it....

Nuisance species.... like rats, feral hogs, crows, grackles,
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Confucius say: Poacher slippery like banana peal.help(It's peanutbutter jelly time.......)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#33]
If they are out after dark and hunting they are paoching.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If they are out after dark and hunting they are paoching.

Hunting hogs are legal after dark, as well as exoctic species of deer and game

Im guessing that your friend Ricky was after turkey. His "Friends" may have actually been "DAY HUNTERS" .

It is common practice these days for folks to Lease out day hunts.  I'll bet your friend Ricky was just out to make a few bucks. Probably not the first time as you stated you live far away.

I've had this happen on a piece of Property that I had leased ANNUAL Hunting rights on, sole rights to the hunting.  It was far away and the owner knew my schedule. I popped in unnanounced and found other folks hunting my place. They claimed that they had day leased the place. I was getting Fucked by the land owner and didn't even know it

At any rate, you should have your "Friend" find another place to run his cows and such
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I failed to state the obvious:

SAince we are talking about poaching . .  . . . If they are out after dark and hunting on your land, they are POACHING!

Better?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone that is, without your conscent, hunting on your land day or night is poaching.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I failed to state the obvious:

SAince we are talking about poaching . .  . . . If they are out after dark and hunting on your land, they are POACHING!

Better?

dang bud I didnt mean any offense
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#38]
on a serious note. I was browsing through my texas penal code and motor vechicle handbook yesterday and happened upon a few pages of law about coyotes and dogs and i cant remember all the specifics but im sure that you can shoot a dog at any time if they present any danger to the community or to your property or livestock, wild game ect. So if you see that mexican poacher guy on your land feel free to shoot his dogs  right in front of him, I would call the cops first and make sure you have cover though.
But keep in mind that its not the dogs fault that they have dumb ass poaching owners. Im not sure how good of an idea it would be to shoot up their property though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
dang bud I didnt mean any offense

My apolgies- I was just messing with ya and it didn't come through in my typing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
on a serious note. I was browsing through my texas penal code and motor vechicle handbook yesterday and happened upon a few pages of law about coyotes and dogs and i cant remember all the specifics but im sure that you can shoot a dog at any time if they present any danger to the community or to your property or livestock, wild game ect. So if you see that mexican poacher guy on your land feel free to shoot his dogs  right in front of him, I would call the cops first and make sure you have cover though.
But keep in mind that its not the dogs fault that they have dumb ass poaching owners. Im not sure how good of an idea it would be to shoot up their property though.

You need to be VERY VERY careful with this.  I would suggest anyone thinking along these lines do a heck of a lot more research than just a quick poking around thru the TPC.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
... But keep in mind that its not the dogs fault that they have dumb ass poaching owners....

Well said... (and applies to those owners who let them roam free - see my post above)
Too bad the dog has to pay with his life.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Im not sure how good of an idea it would be to shoot up their property though.

Its not a good idea to poach, get your truck shot up for poaching  and then call the locals to complain about it either.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You need to be VERY VERY careful with this.  I would suggest anyone thinking along these lines do a heck of a lot more research than just a quick poking around thru the TPC.

Dammit!  I think this is hte 2nd time I have had to agree with JBT-in-Austin  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#44]
This reminds me of something that happened to my friend Scott.  He lived in Houston at the time, and owns several hundred acres of land in W. Texas.  He and a friend went out one weekend to hunt (dove, I think).  

I might add that Scott was in his early 20's at the time.  He inherited the deed to the land after his father unexpectedly passed while Scott was in college.

When they got back to Scott's truck after the hunt, they were greeted by a red-faced leatherneck carrying a beer and a shotgun, wearing a pair of coaches shorts (you know, the kind with the laces?) and a t-shirt from the local high school team.  He was waiting next to where they were parked, got out of his truck as they approached, and proceeded to chew Scott out for 'poaching' on his land.  

"Them's my birds you got there," he kept saying.  Scott had no idea who this guy was, and he obviously had no idea who Scott was.  He assumed he was some punk kid from the city who thought you could walk into any open field and shoot birds.  "Well you can't come on to my lease and shoot my birds."

"Your lease?  I OWN this land."

It turns out Scott's cattle tenant had been selling hunting leases on Scotts land, in violation of their lease agreement.  

OWNED.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Remember every thing post on this forum can be used as evidence against you if something bad happened.

I typically don't post squat about what I would do to defend "X" on the net or even in most of my  conversations since if you do shoot someone (reguardless of the why) what you have said or writen can be used to go after you in crimal and civil court.

I'm sure SC can expand on this subject.

BTW I have found these stories most humorous and also enlighting, if I even day lease again I'll be sure to make sure it is from the owner of the land.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#46]
my uncle's a game warden down in orange, tx. biggest in teh state of texas, 6,8. 325 pounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top