Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:58:22 AM EDT
Couple of questions:

Besides GF, are there any other good ranges around that arent overrun with morons?

Is there anyone on here whos a paid FF or EMT? Im an volunteer EMT-B whos about to take FFI and FFII in Jan and hope to move out there afterwards to get a job as an EMT/FF and possibly find a station with a good rescue squad truck to ride on(looking to do extrications and all the other fun non running into burning building stuff).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:21:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:12:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
There should be a few guys with answers for you.

That worked out really well didn't it?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:58:37 PM EDT

Besides GF, are there any other good ranges around that arent overrun with morons?

Yes, a few, but I won't tell you until you get here.

We need all the pro-gun people we can get, keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 10:41:55 PM EDT by RS_Coyote]
Enumclaw may need a few more EMT's The horses up there are rather rough.

Enumclaw

Most of the ranges have a bunch of asshats. But we always need a your help in the fight for the 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 11:31:18 PM EDT by R-32]

Originally Posted By gplg:

Is there anyone on here whos a paid FF or EMT? Im an volunteer EMT-B whos about to take FFI and FFII in Jan and hope to move out there afterwards to get a job as an EMT/FF and possibly find a station with a good rescue squad truck to ride on(looking to do extrications and all the other fun non running into burning building stuff).

Just like anywhere you go...

There are hundreds of kids infront of you to take that same test, and the majority of depts around here hire from their own Volunteers first.

Im a Vol. FF/EMT-D/Rescue ( We are really all B's now But Im old school and get to keep the D)

Around here if you really want a chance at a Union Fag Paid Firefighter spot you will have to have your Paramedic under your belt....The paramedic program started right here in Seattle and Doc Copus is still up and kicking.

BTW: we are not like the east coast depts, our "Rescue Squads" are pretty much the same as the Engine. Everyone does the same type of work, our use of Private Transport units is very small,( My dept has had one used in the 10 years that I have been in) Im a FF/EMT Swift water rescue tech, Hi-Lo angle, Conf space,.....I run on a LTI 110' ladder truck one min, and on a Paramedic unit the next, and when I get off of that call Im on the Engine, and then I may be on the Rescue by the time shift ends.....(13 rigs in my station, and 4 in the reserve station)

Your EMT will mean nothing here, You will have to take the state class anyway, and your FF1 and FF2 are great, but you will still have to go throug the State training center in 97% of the dept's.( Small Vol Depts will love ya, but you will still have to do the state requirements)...

not trying to sound like a bummer man, I came out of the ARMY as a Medic and had to start all over again with FR and work back up. ( If you get NREMT-P you can try and pass the state test, but will still have to do lots of catch up stuff).

AMR, and Rural Metro are always looking for a heartbeat in the seat, but the pay sux.

Let us know when you get here, Im more than happy to let ya tag along for a shoot, and give you a tour of the station.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:04:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:54:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By R-32:

Just like anywhere you go...

There are hundreds of kids infront of you to take that same test, and the majority of depts around here hire from their own Volunteers first.

Im a Vol. FF/EMT-D/Rescue ( We are really all B's now But Im old school and get to keep the D)

Around here if you really want a chance at a Union Fag Paid Firefighter spot you will have to have your Paramedic under your belt....The paramedic program started right here in Seattle and Doc Copus is still up and kicking.

BTW: we are not like the east coast depts, our "Rescue Squads" are pretty much the same as the Engine. Everyone does the same type of work, our use of Private Transport units is very small,( My dept has had one used in the 10 years that I have been in) Im a FF/EMT Swift water rescue tech, Hi-Lo angle, Conf space,.....I run on a LTI 110' ladder truck one min, and on a Paramedic unit the next, and when I get off of that call Im on the Engine, and then I may be on the Rescue by the time shift ends.....(13 rigs in my station, and 4 in the reserve station)

Your EMT will mean nothing here, You will have to take the state class anyway, and your FF1 and FF2 are great, but you will still have to go throug the State training center in 97% of the dept's.( Small Vol Depts will love ya, but you will still have to do the state requirements)...

not trying to sound like a bummer man, I came out of the ARMY as a Medic and had to start all over again with FR and work back up. ( If you get NREMT-P you can try and pass the state test, but will still have to do lots of catch up stuff).

AMR, and Rural Metro are always looking for a heartbeat in the seat, but the pay sux.

Let us know when you get here, Im more than happy to let ya tag along for a shoot, and give you a tour of the station.

Blah. Thanks for the info. Thats what I was looking for. Whats the pay like for the transport services?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:27:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 10:32:01 AM EDT by R-32]

Blah. Thanks for the info. Thats what I was looking for. Whats the pay like for the transport services?

You start out at min wage, and I have a buddy that is single, and pulls lots of Overtime, He has been with Rmet for about 4 years and he is just starting to break the $10.00 hr mark. If it were not for the fact that my dept pays our vol.'s ( Min. Wage) he would be in the soup and cheese lines. Seattle is a Medical Town, Everyone and his brother is trying to do whatever they can to get a foot in the door, or pay for Medical School at the U.W. The Paramedic Program in Seattle it the Best in the world, YOU GET PAID TO GO THROUGH THE PROGRAM But that is because you live at Harborview hospital and the first time you screw up....Your gone!, Along with the fact that you have to interview one on one with Dr Copus himself ( The father the civilian paramedic program) and with all of the Military Medical in the area Doc loves the former Military Medics.

You also can go throug the program at Central Washington and have to go all over the state for 14 months trying to get your hands on skills done, or in western washington if you cant make the cut at the zoo (that is OK 90+% dont) You can try and get through Pierce Tacoma College's program, But to be honest they tend to get really low marks from the depts they ride with.

I know I sound kinda down on the system, but Im not...I love being a Vol. and have been for 10 years, with 10 with the county Search and Rescue team also. Im just telling you that around here, you have a much better chance getting a cop job than a FF/EMT job, To many high trained people being pumped out every year...

And it rains alot...

And the traffic sucks...

Unless you and your wife make a hundred grand a year, you will have to live in a apartment the rest of your life, and drive a 80's vintage Subaru...

And Tweaks reason for life, Sex with a Farm animal is legal!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:39:58 AM EDT
Your traffic aint nothing on my Metro DC traffic. 2nd or 3rd worst in the nation.

What about other counites/cities nearby? I dont mind traveling. Hell, it takes me about an hour to get to my station from my house.

You got any info on Portland by chance?

Im just trying to move out of the DC area. My brother just moved to Seattle. Plan on visiting in Oct for a weekend. He loves it and says Id love it too(we're both big into the outdoor stuff).
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:40:45 AM EDT
oh, you've been a super great help. Thanks again for answering my questions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 10:57:48 AM EDT by R-32]
I came here from California, and I love it!...

The only way you could get me to go is to have California have a huge change in Politic's..

Im a Outdoor geek, I hike,hunt, rockclimb,You name it...This place is the place to be if you like the full circle.

If you are looking at other places other than M.L.K. county Im in Snohomish, one county north. the only Active Privates are in Everett, and there are only 2 rigs. But there are lots of inter-facilities transports. Most of the Depts are Vol. Depts with a couple Combination dept's and 2 all UnionFag paid depts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:35:19 PM EDT

Im just trying to move out of the DC area. My brother just moved to Seattle. Plan on visiting in Oct for a weekend. He loves it and says Id love it too(we're both big into the outdoor stuff).

Neither of you has been here in Seattle during the Nov-April time frame?

I'd suggest a visit then before you make a decision based on the few sunny weeks here.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:28:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:

I'd suggest a visit then before you make a decision based on the few sunny weeks here.

Yeah liberal huntin season isnt long enough is it
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:40:43 AM EDT

plan on coming out in Oct. Whats the weather like? All rain? I have been watching the weather out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:07:18 AM EDT

plan on coming out in Oct. Whats the weather like? All rain? I have been watching the weather out there.

The Oct weather will fool you.

I moved the first week of November, it was great for two weeks and then it started to rain. It rained for the next 6 months, literally every single day, Jan, Feb, and March, were terrible horrible months, dark and rain all of the time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:23:10 AM EDT

The Oct weather will fool you.

I moved the first week of November, it was great for two weeks and then it started to rain. It rained for the next 6 months, literally every single day, Jan, Feb, and March, were terrible horrible months, dark and rain all of the time.

October-March= Dark dreary skies, rain all the time, windstorms in November, floods in January, don't count on ever seeing another White Christmas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:43:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:08:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JAFO:

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:

October-March= Dark dreary skies, rain all the time, windstorms in November, floods in January, don't count on ever seeing another White Christmas.

Didn't we have a white Christmas 9 years ago (1996 - the year I moved here)?

I know there were probably a lot of white faces on boat owners whose marinas collapsed on their boats. Luckily my roommate and I didn't have a carport at the apartment. I looked outside and all I saw of his VW beetle was the corner of a mirror sticking out of a huge snowball.

I thought that 12 inches of snow was New Years Day that year?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:09:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:10:57 AM EDT

Didn't we have a white Christmas 9 years ago (1996 - the year I moved here)?

I know there were probably a lot of white faces on boat owners whose marinas collapsed on their boats. Luckily my roommate and I didn't have a carport at the apartment. I looked outside and all I saw of his VW beetle was the corner of a mirror sticking out of a huge snowball.

I thought that 12 inches of snow was New Years Day that year?

I thought we had about 10-12 for Christmas and 18 for New Years.

That might have been, I just remember waking up New Years Day, looking out the window and saying "Shit!"
Top Top