Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT
......to start to look for jobs in Oregon. There are a couple outside of Portland, and one in Astoria.

I grew up in the NW, and she grew up in the mid-west. I reeeealy would like to come back to the NW provided Oregon has decent gun laws. Right now I am in Missouri, and outside of suppressors, anything goes, if you have the cash.

So what is Oregon like? Gun law wise?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:04:18 PM EDT
Currently the gun laws are just dandy, but if the VPC through their puppet senator has their way, the laws will be worse than California's.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:12:37 PM EDT
So are those laws being written?

Crap...screw that!!!!

How about Astoria though? Anyone on the boards near or there?

Looking at job opportunities on the web is so BS, I should order a paper....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:49:37 PM EDT
They are not laws yet. There is still hope. You might want to read some of the threads in the Oregon section to get an idea of what's going on. They may not even make it out of the state house.

I'm not trying to scare you.

Currently we can have title II stuff and it's not too hard to get a concealed handgun permit.

I've heard mixed things about Astoria.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:49:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By METALMAN:
How about Astoria though? Anyone on the boards near or there?

Born & raised there,but haven't been back much other than just passing thru and visiting,in the last 25 yrs or so. One legs still shorter than the other. hill.)www.dailyastorian.info/
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:33:01 AM EDT
Yeah, it looks beautiful.
There is a Veterinary position opening that my wife is going to apply to.
I have a Masters in Fine Art (theres a brilliant money making degree) and I have taught college sculpture for 9 years. I am an expert welder (ARC,TIG,MIG,Oxy/Acet,Plasma), and foundryman.
I wonder what the job market (if there is one) is like there.
I have had mixed success in the past about finding jobs through online classifieds. Seems you almost need to go there and scout em out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:45:31 AM EDT
I was in Oregon for 3 years in the late 90's. Pretty good laws then, but I hear that both OR and WA have Assault Weapon Ban Laws pending votes in the legislature.

Tack
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:05:50 AM EDT
I live in Astoria and have been for 25 years. Great outdoor activities. Beautiful country although very wet except for this year. Gun laws good right now but bills are pending. We are in a fight now.
Bad news is the job market or lack there of. Possibilities of walmart showing up and talk of a natural gas plant going in. But the greens are fighting this. I would say to keep looking for jobs in this area and if one comes up put on your rain geer and come on out
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:32:47 PM EDT
I would bet Astoria is like most small towns in Oregon. You'll have to invest your time and energies into the town before you're given anything like a job.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:58:21 PM EDT
So far so good on the gun laws. I'm not sure how the legislature works at passing laws. If Sen burdshit gets hers through the state senate I think it still has to pass the house and republicans still hold majority there. I certainly hope that's the case anyhow.

Dont know about work for you in those particular areas but the wife shouldnt have too much trouble in the vet field.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:12:38 AM EDT
At this very second the gun laws are great, that’s why I moved to Oregon and not Washington; everything Class III is cool in Oregon.

You might also look for jobs in the Albany/Corvallis area (my stompin grounds) there’s a lot of vet medicine in the area as OSU (land grant university) has a great vet school. Then you could also look into teaching your fine arts at Linn Benton Community College just a few miles away.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:20:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2005 5:21:51 AM EDT by METALMAN]

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
I would bet Astoria is like most small towns in Oregon. You'll have to invest your time and energies into the town before you're given anything like a job.

Patty

Patty,
What do you mean? Invest my time and energies into the town how? And I really would hope I'm given a job based on my skills! Very cryptic....elucidate.

BTW, thank you all for all the help.
I grew up in Washington from 68 to 87. Been in the midwest ever since, kinda would like to smell the sea and climb the mountains again!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:40:12 AM EDT
Well I live in Eastern Oregon and there will be families that move in breifly trying to get work because they like the small town appeal, or the scenery, or the schools and it's very difficult for them to get a job. For an example my husband's family homesteaded here where I lived almost 200 years ago but moved their residence to Milton Freewater back in the early 1900's. They still came back every summer to farm the wheat but lived in MF. My husband's father moved back here in 1964 with the family and they've been here ever since. It took my hubby a long time to be considered a local boy and then when he married me [I grew up in a town about 40 miles from here] I was an outsider.

It's tough coming from the outside in Here anyway. I could be wrong about Astoria but I would suspect it would be the same. The good jobs are saved for the matriarhs of the town.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:06:26 AM EDT
Well...than I might just have to start my own business. Sigh....lotta work, but at least bein your own boss makes things a little easier.Gunsmithing, and possibly opening a range sounds far more fun than an underpaid teaching position.

We'd be looking for land too. 20 acres +. I'm not really concerned with bein a part of the town as much as the geographical location. Not that I want to ostracise[sp?] myself, but the idea of being an outsider is fine with me. That small town mentality is just a bit cruel, and I have experienced it out here in Missouri, but it really doesn't concern me.

I'm not active in politics and the like, so if we could find land I'de be content with just bein alone with the family.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:54:33 PM EDT
Metalman - usually these small towns are much more accepting to teachers that come in. Astoria is a realitively large school district for the size of the town [I belive there are several out lining towns that contribute]. I don't want to scare you off, just prepared you. If you do make the move, go with an open mind and thick skin.

Patty
Top Top