Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 4:11:34 PM EDT
I don't have my itinerary yet, and will update this thread when I do. I'd like general information on crime/safety, what all there is for college students on Spring Break to do, and the availability of "state run liquor stores."
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Salt Lake City is very clean and safe relative to other large cities.  There isn’t any place I really feel unsafe except maybe some areas on the west side such as Kearns, Rose Park, and parts of West Valley.  Unless you were looking for cheap housing there probably wouldn’t be anything for you out there anyway.  

Here is the locator for the state liquor stores.  

http://abc.utah.gov/stores/index.html

You won’t have any trouble finding alcohol.  Just plan ahead because most of them close at 10pm, some close at 7pm, and all are closed on Sunday.  There is also no shortage of clubs, and restaurants to get drinks at, and beer is available anywhere.  

If you are driving I would consider bringing some from home.  When I travel out of state I am amazed how cheap liquor is without a state run monopoly.

I don’t get out much anymore so I don’t have any advice for what to do for spring break activities, other than the fine local women.  Utah really does have attractive women, and I frequent hear visitors comment on the quality.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Salt Lake City is very clean and safe relative to other large cities.  There isn’t any place I really feel unsafe except maybe some areas on the west side such as Kearns, Rose Park, and parts of West Valley.  Unless you were looking for cheap housing there probably wouldn’t be anything for you out there anyway.  

Here is the locator for the state liquor stores.  

http://abc.utah.gov/stores/index.html

You won’t have any trouble finding alcohol.  Just plan ahead because most of them close at 10pm, some close at 7pm, and all are closed on Sunday.  There is also no shortage of clubs, and restaurants to get drinks at, and beer is available anywhere.  

If you are driving I would consider bringing some from home.  When I travel out of state I am amazed how cheap liquor is without a state run monopoly.

I don’t get out much anymore so I don’t have any advice for what to do for spring break activities, other than the fine local women.  Utah really does have attractive women, and I frequent hear visitors comment on the quality.

I'll probably be going either by bus or plane. No idea yet. This is a school function for the NCAA women's basketball tournament.

ETA: I'm actually under 21, but there are plenty of people of age going on this trip, and I figure I may as well get some advice for them since I'm so well connected on arfcom.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 EDT
[#3]
If you come here and don't ski, baby Jesus will cry.

When are you coming?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you come here and don't ski, baby Jesus will cry.

When are you coming?

I'm guessing Friday. First game is Saturday. If they win the first game, second one should be Monday, and I will have a lot of catching up to do in school.

Other questions I have are, what is the availability of tobacco products like? What about coffee shops?

The reason students intend to buy alcohol on location is 1) they are not supposed to have it at school and could theoretically get in trouble and 2) our per diem is quite generous and they prefer to buy alcohol with that. I am one of the only smokers, and require lots of coffee.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Make sure you go to MOOCHIES for  a steak sandwich.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is the address. If there's anything cool within walking distance (a couple miles) or public transit, info would be greatly appreciated.

Hilton City Center 255 South West Temple Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Here is the address. If there's anything cool within walking distance (a couple miles) or public transit, info would be greatly appreciated.

Hilton City Center 255 South West Temple Salt Lake City, UT 84101

You should visit Temple Square while you are there since you are staying so close.  I'm not trying to convert you or anything, it is just a cool place to go and see.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]
You will have access to TRAX that is just a few blocks away.  It will take you up to the University of Utah campus as well as to several shopping locations along the route.

Places to see:

• City Creek Canyon (nice sunday hike within walking distance of your hotel)

• Temple Square (walking distance)

• Gallensons Gun Store (walking distance)

• University of Utah (use Trax)

• John M Browning Museum (mass transit will get you there by Trax and then Front Runner Train)

Places to eat:

• The Pie pizzeria (use trax)

• Red Iguana (most unique mexican food you will ever have, and I grew up in phoenix)

• Blue Iguana (same as Red, but is much closer to your hotel; try the Mole sampler)

• Lambs Grill Cafe

• Rodizio Grill in Trolley Square (use trax)

Just a start.  Others can give better info on smokes, coffee and the fun juice.

Also remember that Sundays can be hard to find a business that is open in Utah.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I totally forgot the John Browning museum was in this area. I will most certainly be making my pilgrimage to Mecca the Museum.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top