Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 8:47:49 AM EDT
...to buy a six-pack for the game, and some real-deal Sudafed for this sinus cold I've got. Now, Mississippi recently passed a law that requires any purchaser of ephedrine-containing products to have a prescription. Hence why we stopped at a Mobile-area pharmacy.

My wife and I walked to the counter, and I told the lady I wanted something with the "real" Sudafed for my cold. She asked me if I had an AL license, which I of course do not, being a MS resident. She then told me she could not sell me Sudafed without a prescription, because I was a MS resident.

W.T.F., over?

So after a short rant about how I was going to have to write my congressman about this, she takes my MS DL and swipes it through the card reader, saying, "We can try it and see if it records your info. Most MS licenses don't read, but we'll try." I thanked her profusely for her kindness, and a short while later, I had my Sudafed––apparently the bar code on my DL worked. I thanked her again, then told her I wished we'd keep meth heads locked up instead of punishing the majority of honest citizens.

Long story short, if any of you MS folks go to AL to buy some Sudafed, be prepared to be denied or wait a few extra minutes. I will be writing Gene Taylor about how inconvenienced law-abiding citizens are, because the state refuses to keep meth cooks in prison. This crap has gotten rediculous.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted: I will be writing Gene Taylor about how inconvenienced law-abiding citizens are, because the state refuses to keep meth cooks in prison. This crap has gotten rediculous.

I wrote him recently to tell him that I would be voting his ass straight out of office.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
As ridiculous as it is, I think you should call your state representative and complain, as this is strictly a state level issue, not federal.

If you're going to complain to Taylor about something, voice your distaste for the President of Mexico standing in front of our Congress demanding our government further infringe our 2A rights because of crime along the Mexican border while Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden and crew sit and nod their heads like one of those bobble-head toys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As ridiculous as it is, I think you should call your state representative and complain, as this is strictly a state level issue, not federal.

If you're going to complain to Taylor about something, voice your distaste for the President of Mexico standing in front of our Congress demanding our government further infringe our 2A rights because of crime along the Mexican border while Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden and crew sit and nod their heads like one of those bobble-head toys.

Yeah, I think I got ahead of myself...I realized Gene Taylor is at the fed level, not state.

I still plan to bitch, though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
By all means, call and bitch away

One day some chemistry major is going to figure out how to cook aspirin down into some ilicit drug and every time I get a frackin' headeache I'll have to make an appointment with my government appointed doctor.

Shit, now I'm getting in a bad mood....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
By all means, call and bitch away

One day some chemistry major is going to figure out how to cook aspirin down into some ilicit drug and every time I get a frackin' headeache I'll have to make an appointment with my government appointed doctor.

Shit, now I'm getting in a bad mood....

Exactly what I was thinking, and that's exactly what I told the pharmacy lady: "You know, this is only going to make it take even longer at the doctor and the pharmacy. Now every time someone needs some Sudafed, they're gonna have to call the doctor, who's gonna have to call the pharmacy, and then I'll have to stand in line even longer. All because of a meth head."

She laughed and agreed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the new law is stupid.  

I bought as much as I could before the law went into affect.  That stuff was like $2 at Sam's.
I would buy the max every month for like 3-4 months in a row.
I probably have more than the 'legal' amount as a whole.

Another knee jerk reaction.

I read somewhere recently that production and importation has increased a lot from where?
You guessed it!   M E X I C O.
It cost more and is better quality then the meth heads were making.

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, the new law is stupid.  

I bought as much as I could before the law went into affect.  That stuff was like $2 at Sam's.
I would buy the max every month for like 3-4 months in a row.
I probably have more than the 'legal' amount as a whole.

Another knee jerk reaction.

I read somewhere recently that production and importation has increased a lot from where?
You guessed it!   M E X I C O.
It cost more and is better quality then the meth heads were making.

SMSP

Hah! You realize you're probably on some kind of watch list, don't you? Seriously, the lady at the pharmacy counter had to swipe my DL to register all of my ID info on an online database. I've used the program before...it's pretty neat how LE can track ephedrine purchases.

Of course, if I suffered from sinus problems more often than occasionally, I'd have done the same thing as you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top