Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2012 11:32:45 AM EST
I have no experience with the AK-style rifles but the Christmas bonus from work is burning a hole in my pocket. Is it still possible to buy one for under $500? Are there any dealers on the west side of WI that carry these in stock? If not, where can I buy a decent one online?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:05:46 PM EST
You're too late.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:54:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By j_treckler:
You're too late.

Yup. If you can find any for sale, they're probably gonna be 600-700+ even for a cheap WASR-10. Though that's just my guess... I haven't actually gone out and looked. Any "scary" looking rifle is going to be slim pickings.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:00:56 PM EST
Though not as bad as AR's, AK pricing is getting stupid as well. If you can wait til probably summer, i think they'll drop back down to normal by then.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:27:29 PM EST
I can definitely wait until summer. I'm not panic-buying!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:41:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By CheeseHeadNinja:
You're too late.

Yup. If you can find any for sale, they're probably gonna be 600-700+ even for a cheap WASR-10. Though that's just my guess... I haven't actually gone out and looked. Any "scary" looking rifle is going to be slim pickings.

Green Bay East Fleet Farm had one lonely Century WASR for $749 yesterday.

Now is not the time to buy an AK, AR or anything that looks scawey enough to cause a lib to shit his/her pants.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:19:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dersu:
Originally Posted By CheeseHeadNinja:
You're too late.

Green Bay East Fleet Farm had one lonely Century WASR for $749 yesterday.

Now is not the time to buy an AK, AR or anything that looks scawey enough to cause a lib to shit his/her pants.

this. i saw aks sell for 700-900$ last gunshow
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:09:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By Delta66:
I have no experience with the AK-style rifles but the Christmas bonus from work is burning a hole in my pocket. Is it still possible to buy one for under $500? Are there any dealers on the west side of WI that carry these in stock? If not, where can I buy a decent one online?

If you're lucky, persistent, and handy...

1. Buy AK parts kit.

2. Find receiver.

3. Buy US parts.

You'll be in for $600+ by this time, but at least you'll be able to build one up for yourself as your own rifle.

I don't think that's something we're going to be able to do forever.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:34:41 AM EST
I would prefer to build my own. I built my AR from parts so I think I could handle it. Where should I look for receivers and parts kits?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:50:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 6:52:25 AM EST by rfb45colt]
Originally Posted By prebans:
Originally Posted By Delta66:

If you're lucky, persistent, and handy...

1. Buy AK parts kit.

2. Find receiver.

3. Buy US parts.

You'll be in for $600+ by this time, but at least you'll be able to build one up for yourself as your own rifle.

I don't think that's something we're going to be able to do forever.

Mike

Amazing what you can find if you look.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1003555 Receiver "blank"... bent, but needs drilling. In stock.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ak-47-parts-kit-with-under-folding-stock.aspx?a=669206 Parts kit... not in stock, expected delivery Feb 6th. Everything but receiver & barrel... BUT, it's not U.S. made, so some U.S. made parts will be needed to replace some of these parts to comply with 922. Tapco makes them.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ak-47-barrel.aspx?a=891186 Barrel, in stock.

AFAIK, it's legal to "build" a firearm for personal use. However, building one with these parts, it's probably not resellable? Receiver blank has no serial numbering. Mike, you'd know more about that than I would.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:16:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 7:19:30 AM EST by jak127]
I coworker of mine picked up a WASR last week from Dunhams for $500. I can't beleive they have gone up that much already. You could try calling around to Dunhams around your area to see if they have/are getting anything in. I know that seems slim, but that is what my coworker did and I was surprised that he was still able to find one by mid last week. I put my name on a list for a M&P 15-22 this morning. Good luck, these next few weeks/months seem like they are going to kind of suck for us.

I too was interested in building an AK, but I got pretty confused with the legal US/foreign made parts requirements and the fack that unlike an AR you cannot just buy a pre-made upper.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:19:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dersu:
Green Bay East Fleet Farm had one lonely Century WASR for $749 yesterday..

I just came from there and they sold the last AK rifle. Appleton has empty shelves also.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:09:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By jak127:
I coworker of mine picked up a WASR last week from Dunhams for $500. I can't beleive they have gone up that much already. You could try calling around to Dunhams around your area to see if they have/are getting anything in. I know that seems slim, but that is what my coworker did and I was surprised that he was still able to find one by mid last week. I put my name on a list for a M&P 15-22 this morning. Good luck, these next few weeks/months seem like they are going to kind of suck for us.

I too was interested in building an AK, but I got pretty confused with the legal US/foreign made parts requirements and the fack that unlike an AR you cannot just buy a pre-made upper.

There's a gun shop in Rhinelander that still had two M&P 15-22s hanging on the display wall as of 1:00pm this afternoon.... but they are in a pink & black "zebra" type camo.
You could always paint it.

Walmart in Rhinelander has a Sig 522 ($497) and a Mossberg .22lr look-alike ($229).
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:57:55 PM EST
if you choose to build, i would highly recommend going with a 100% receiver. the flats work, however they never feel as good as a factory receive. trust me i have done plenty of flats.
NDS makes amazing receivers and are only 80-90$ shipped
Top Top