Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 10:36:45 AM EDT
I've been going to different spots in SoCal lately, and I'm really curious if I'm just visiting nice places, or if California is just nicer than I expected.  I lived in Glendale in '87, and almost all of LA I had seen sucked.

In the last two months I've been to Carlsbad, Newport Beach, San Diego, Irvine, LaJolla, Riverside, etc.  These are my observations compared to Phoenix.  It's much prettier, people are a lot friendlier, people drive better, and I'm running into far fewer people who don't speak English.   With the exception of the insane cost of living, I'm thinking I want to retire in California, anywhere from San Diego to Orange County.  

So, what am I missing?  Am I just seeing the good stuff?  I really want to know what your opinions are, especially those of you who have been to Phoenix.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've been going to different spots in SoCal lately, and I'm really curious if I'm just visiting nice places, or if California is just nicer than I expected.  I lived in Glendale in '87, and almost all of LA I had seen sucked.

In the last two months I've been to Carlsbad, Newport Beach, San Diego, Irvine, LaJolla, Riverside, etc.  These are my observations compared to Phoenix.  It's much prettier, people are a lot friendlier, people drive better, and I'm running into far fewer people who don't speak English.   With the exception of the insane cost of living, I'm thinking I want to retire in California, anywhere from San Diego to Orange County.  

So, what am I missing?  Am I just seeing the good stuff?  I really want to know what your opinions are, especially those of you who have been to Phoenix.  

Wow, "nice" in L.A., Riverside, San Diego, etc etc.   That's a switch.   Man you ought to try north of L.A. over the Grapevine in the San Joaquin Valley, say from Bakersfield to Sacramento.  If you liked the L.A. Basin, you will love this area up here better.   Kern County (Bakersfield) and Tulare County (Tulare - Porterville - Visalia) are aboslutely gun friendly.   Less crowded and more places to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you apparently have been to the good parts of Riverside.  Parts of Riverside are pretty sad.

The coastal areas are extremely expensive.  Yes, you've been to the primo areas and people are willing, able and required to pay the bonzo bucks to live there.

Unfortunately we also have the areas of poor drivers, poor engrish speakers and the like.  However the good to great parts far out number the bad parts

There's a reason a lot of people live in So.Cal.  OK a lot of reasons.

Some of us lately have been getting the Phoenix type monsoon storms (Paul  as a retired Master Ghief, I fully expect that you can survive in the Liberty Boat.) Others of us just live on the dry side of the mountains and see the thunderboomers and have been getting no rain out of them.

I think Phoenix area is now experiencing the urban sprawl that most of the LA and Orange County areas experienced 50+ years or more ago, Inland areas beginning 40 years ago and my take is that Phoenix area didn't learn some of the lessons it should have.  But as long as land prices are so high, people will over build.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  I really was amazed at the lack of bozos I ran into on my last few trips.  I figure when it comes time to retire, I'll keep a place here and get one there.  I've never been north of LA, so I'll have to look into it.  I have time though, as retirement is a minimum of 7 years away.

As far as saying nice things about Kali, I'm waiting patiently for the lynching.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you check the real estate prices along the coast, from San Diego to Orange county! I think that's the main drawback.

And, for a change in flavor, do look at the Northern California coast too. Humboldt is gorgeous along the coast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top