Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 12:50:47 AM EDT
What the crap, I come home and it's all smokey this day.  What lousy timing.  And it's hot.  I'm going back north!

Someone said another 2.5 million acres burnt.  You'd think burning 6.5 million last year would have given us some nice firebreaks.  Is this making the mushroom pickers happy?  Smoke jumpers must be making some more moola.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
No crap...by the end of the day my eyes are blood shot and hurt because of the smoke. It's funny because no news stations---like CNN ever mention anything about the 2.5 million acers burning up here...they are always focused on Arizona and its neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess only expensive houses and rich people are worth reporting.  Just because the homes and property being burned don't cost as much, I don't think that makes them any less important to the poor people being affected up here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the story on the source of the fire? Had a semi major one on oahu recently (for us anyway) and im curious about preventing/surviving the crazy ones ive only read about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose all the lightning we had earlier in the season didn't help much. If you visit HERE you can see where the current fires are. They also have pictures from the front lines.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for that link, im hoping to visit you all in the next year via cruise ship.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
We've had more lighting and thunder in Fairbanks in the past few months than I have experience my whole life here.  It's not always natural, there have been cases of smoke jumpers/fire fighters starting fires to keep things going and the paychecks coming in.

The fact is it's hot here, very dry at times, and plenty of trees to burn.  With more than 42 million acres of state, there's a lot to burn.  Many houses have plenty of burnable land enveloping them.

Natures way of renewing forests...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Last  I  heard this one was all  natural from a  lightening strike .

But  I also heard from a Duper  at  work that this was  Bush's  way  of  clearing  the land so  he can drill ANWAR .....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Smoke, Again?

Well I admit that I have had a couple smokes, so I guess, yea, I am....

And it is hazy down here still, I though it would go away after all the rain last week.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Last  I  heard this one was all  natural from a  lightening strike .

But  I also heard from a Duper  at  work that this was  Bush's  way  of  clearing  the land so  he can drill ANWAR .....

Well he did a good job in ANWR since there are no trees there.

Yekimak, I don't think a smoke every now and then is all that bad - it's like indulging in a sweet or what not - it's okay in moderation, just don't do it habitually.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Here are some awesome sat photos of AK and the fires

Sat Photos
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Smoken!

Thanks for the map/sat photo
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Smoke kills.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought it was lightening up a bit when I drove to North Pole this afternoon but I guess the winds changed.  The smoke is, well, DAMN!

It's giving me a headache, I can taste it, and it's bugging my eyes.  Normally I am pretty resistant but this is getting ridiculous.  My apartment is too hot to not ventilate and it's like someone is having a bonfire in here.  I think I could smoke a cigar and no one would notice.  I bet my apartment and everything in it is going to smell like smoke for a long time.  I need a hepafilter!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top