Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 6:22:59 PM EST
Itried searching the forum but I couldn't find directions to this sloan place you guys keep talking about.

After driving 40 minuets out to bouldercity just to find out that there was a cowboy shoot this weekend, I'm looking for a new place to shoot.
Is it legal to shoot at sloan? Is it safe? And how do I get there from the Nellis AFB area?

Thanks guys, sorry if you've answered this question befor, but I'm a noob.

Tight Lines,
Sgt Bennett
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:12:55 PM EST
Leatherpuke, if you're looking for a place to shoot, go up toward Apex, just go up LV Blvd and keep going under the rail overpass and you'll see a dry lake off to the left. When you see the old rail way watering station make a left on the dirt road and there you are. Ive shot out there for years. No one has ever bothered me out there. I always have someone with me. By the way are you Air Force, if so, what squadron. Im SFS.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:12:34 AM EST
Nope, I'm Active Army.

I've heard about apex, but a N. Las Vegas cop told me once that it was illegal to shoot out there. Something about an off duty cop being killed by a stray round a few years ago.

I'll check it out anyway.

By the way, did you know that the old range out by the National Guard center is open to Active duty members? I ran into a guy shooting out there once who told me you just have to check in with the rod&gun club to get access. I'm trying to confirm that now but the rod&gun club is only open a few days a week.

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:04:48 AM EST
I once saw a map of Clark county that showed the shoot/no shoot areas and as best as I could tell Apex looked kosher for shooting. However there is another spot just up the road from Apex. If you keep to the other directions I gave in the last post, but, you turn on I-93 just before you get to the dry lake and drive for another couple of miles its a real nice shooting spot in front of some old mines. No dickheads up there youre just past the moron limit of attention area. When you're driving up 93 the shooting area is on the right side of the road. Look carefully. Some of the other guys who post here could give you alot better directions too. As far as old ranges out past the NG center, that whole area used to be a training area for aerial gunners in WW2. I used to shoot out an old range there before they put I215 in but I dont thinnk you can get out there anymore. You could also possibly attract the attention of the cops or drunken shooters there. Ive found the closer you shoot to town the more idiots will show up to your shooting area.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:05:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2004 9:07:29 PM EST by MisterSuzuki]
Its right off of the 15 South coming out of Vegas, exit 25.....go east into the dirt road....stay to your right for about 1.5 miles.

There will be spots where people have shot up appliances, and such....keep going, till you see a big pit.

Some times you see some idiots out there, who point their loaded guns in every direction.

I'd just pack up and leave, if they're there. otherwise, on most weekends, quite a few nice folks out there.

I haven't been shooting there in a for a couple months, I'll see if there's any good deals on ammo at the Crossroads Tropicana show this weekend, since I've been low on funds, and not much ammo left for any SHTF situations.....:(

Maybe some guys will have the new Polymer Wolf ammo to try.

Edit: There is a map floating around, to help you get there.....some of the hometown boys will post it up eventually.

Originally Posted By leatherpuke:
Itried searching the forum but I couldn't find directions to this sloan place you guys keep talking about.

After driving 40 minuets out to bouldercity just to find out that there was a cowboy shoot this weekend, I'm looking for a new place to shoot.
Is it legal to shoot at sloan? Is it safe? And how do I get there from the Nellis AFB area?

Thanks guys, sorry if you've answered this question befor, but I'm a noob.

Tight Lines,
Sgt Bennett

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:50 AM EST
Thanks, I think I can find that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:07:28 AM EST
MAP:

see you there
Top Top