BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2004 5:36:55 AM EDT
For apnea.  Hope I pass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
When in doubt pick C.  I always go with C when I don't know the answer.  And read all the questions twice.  They will try to screw you over on test with some trick questions.  Hey and get plenty of sleep before so you test your best.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Smartass...  Hey, LarryG, if you fail, you know what they are going to do to you?  The doctor is going to get you to make an appointment to come back and let him Roto-rooter your nose .  Either that, or you are going to have to wear a CPAP machine that looks like an elephant trunk attached to a vacuum cleaner
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a sleep test last year and they said I don't have apnea.  It's kinda hard to go to sleep with all those
wires taped to your head.  And the anal probe is real uncomfortable...
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I sent ScaryGuy a link to this thread.  Maybe when he gets time he'll chime in.  He knows a lot about this stuff.  He and I talked about it in TN at the Camden machinegun shoot.  A friend failed his test and they did the surgery, which has helped very little.

Lose some weight and it will make a BIG difference.

Well, this is a catch 22.  I don't have the energy to exercise because I can't sleep.  Part of why I can't sleep is that I am overweight.  I they put me on a CPAP and it's works, then I will feel like exercising.

See how that works.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Insomnia sucks. I'd get them to suggest some lifestyle changes to try out before going under the knife.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My Dad has a severe case of sleep apnea....

He would stop breathing for over a minute at a time while asleep. His blood O2 saturation went down so low that they woke him up to sign a waiver the first time he was tested.

He now has a CPAP machine, and life is much, much better. Hope it all works out for you.
-Hobbit

EDIT:
My father has also had the surgery. In his case, it did not help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I had my sleep study on the 8th and just got the news today that I failed it big time.  I wake up 96 times an hour, worst case they've seen in months.  I was wondering why I haven't had a dream in years....I really haven't slept.  I go for my night with the cpap next Wednesday.  I'm looking foward to some good sleep!

Larry, let me know if I can answer any questions.  One thing that they won't tell you is that if not treated, it can be fatal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell, they detected me whipping the puppy 96 times an hour and kicked me out after the nurse had her way with me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Insomnia has been an steady companion of mine over the years!
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Insomnia sucks. I'd get them to suggest some lifestyle changes to try out before going under the knife.

This is not about insomnia.  Sleep apnea is a whole different ball of wax.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 4:32:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had my sleep study on the 8th and just got the news today that I failed it big time.  I wake up 96 times an hour, worst case they've seen in months.  I was wondering why I haven't had a dream in years....I really haven't slept.  I go for my night with the cpap next Wednesday.  I'm looking foward to some good sleep!

Larry, let me know if I can answer any questions.  One thing that they won't tell you is that if not treated, it can be fatal.

It's done.  I don't know when I will get the results.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 4:33:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So do you think you did well?  I normally know when I am gonna pass a test.  I hope all goes well for you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you think you did well?  I normally know when I am gonna pass a test.  I hope all goes well for you.

Probably got a C on it.  I didn't study.

Seriously, trying to sleep with all those wires hanging on you would give anyone apnea.

Hell, they had wires on my legs, my head, and my torso.  I felt like I had dreadlocks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Book-
That's the one. After the surgery failure, he got frustrated enough that he almost stopped trying to get help. Eventually, his lack of rest (he slept, but never achieved REM sleep and never woke up feeling rested) made him try another doctor, who set him up with the CPAP.
If the surgery had worked, it would have been great. Oh well. The CPAP is a lifesaver.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
All jokes aside, the wife has had to wake me up a few times. I am a back sleeper and with a big pillow it tilts the head forward and chokes off the airway. A solution is to get a feather pillow and make a depression for your head so that only your neck is supported. This cuts out a lot of snoring and gagging.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
As Book said, I might know a thing or two about this stuff ..I am the Director of a Sleep Lab here in Alabama.

LarryG if you have any question, feel free to IM me if I can help.

Oh, and I put in a good word with the teacher, so you might eek out a "B".

Reg
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
All jokes aside, the wife has had to wake me up a few times. I am a back sleeper and with a big pillow it tilts the head forward and chokes off the airway. A solution is to get a feather pillow and make a depression for your head so that only your neck is supported. This cuts out a lot of snoring and gagging.

That can help, but I would respectfully suggest you might want a sleep eval...Untreated Apnea can hurt you. Hell, it can kill you.

Reg
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate waking up dead.
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I hate waking up dead.

This is so true!
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I forgot all about this.  It turns out that my blood ox was getting down to about 80 percent and it's a mechanical blockage, not a mental thing (though some think I am mental anyway), and the problem is my nose is blocked, probably from a motorcycle wreck long ago.

He has referred me to a plastic surgeon in Athens, but with the wierd hours I have been working, I have not had time to contact him.

4 years ago, I had a test and my blood ox was down to 50 percent.  They cleaned out everything in my throat and I do mean everything, including tonsils.  That helped, but they also straightened out my deviated septum (the divider between your nostrils) from the aforementioned wreck, and that, unfortunately, allowed my nose to close up.  The doctor down in Savannah kept trying to say that didn't matter, since most people were mouth breathers when they sleep.  What bullshit.  I am definately a nose breather when I sleep and the doc up here in Winder said the Savannah doc was "full of shit", his words.

I gotta get it in gear and go see the plastic surgeon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#25]
everything i just read my dad went thru about 15 years ago.  fatigue, quit breathing for a minute or two at the time, etc.   he had the surgery where they removed the thing at the back of the throat, went up his nose and scraped.    he stayed in the hospital couple of days then came home crying and couldn't stop.    turns out the surgeon messed up something in his tear ducts, he had to go back in surgery to correct this.   months after the surgery no better.   he said if he had it to do all over again he would not do it.    he now sleeps with the breathing machine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#26]
if you dont wake up can i have you AR-18/180b collection???
seeya saturday
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top