Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/3/2006 10:33:18 AM EDT
Singer from Jonesville, Heather Cox, voted off 'Idol'
Three North Carolinians - Covington, Daughtry and Pickler - remain in competition

from the winston salem fish wrap:

Blame it on Mariah Carey.

Heather Cox's quest to become the next America Idol ended last night, two days after judges had little good to say about her performance of Carey's hit "Hero."

Cox, 22, who lives with her parents in Jonesville, was one of four singers cut on last night's results show, which reduced the field of singers to 16. Chris Daughtry, 26, of McLeansville, Bucky Covington, 28, of Rockingham and Kellie Pickler, 19, of Albemarle survived to sing again next week. According to the show's host, Ryan Seacrest, 42million votes were cast.

For the second week in a row, all three judges slammed Cox.

Paula Abdul tried to soften her words by first telling Cox that she looked beautiful and showed improvement from the previous week.

"Here's the one big problem," Abdul said. "When you sing songs that the great Mariah Carey sings, you run the hugest risk of being compared to icons.

"You did a good job, but it wasn't great," she told Cox.

Randy Jackson said, "When you choose stylized songs by these kinds of singers, you're going to pale in comparison."

Simon Cowell called her performance "pointless."

"If you're not going to be as good as the original, do something different with the song," Cowell said.

Before the show, John Cox had been confident that his daughter would make it through last night's round. If she didn't, he said, she will continue to sing, and being on the show may yet pay off for her.

"I think greater things are ahead," he said. "I'm sure the phone's going to ring."

"I've been blessed, and I'm thankful to be here, and I'm going home to my goats," Heather Cox told Seacrest.

The three other North Carolinians, especially Daughtry and Pickler, fared better with the judges. Female singers performed on Tuesday and males sang on Wednesday.

Daughtry's passionate performance of "Hemorrhage" by Fuel set the standard for all the male contestants, Cowell said.

"You could be on the charts with that right now, dude," Jackson told him.

Pickler, who bounced onstage atop sky-high wedge heels, sang Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About."

Judges liked her performance, but they seemed equally taken with her "aw, shucks" personality, which was spotlighted in a segment in which she talked about her experiences in Hollywood.

She described eating her first spinach salad - "It kind of tasted like picking leaves off a bush." - and her first serving of squid.

"They call that cal-a-ma-ri," she said. "I can live without ever eating that again."

Cowell said that her singing was "rough around the edges," but he agreed with the other judges about her high likeability.

"I think, America - if they haven't already - are going to fall in love with you," he said.

The judges were mostly kind to Covington about his version of "The Thunder Rolls," a Garth Brooks song. But Cowell said that he sees Covington as a supporting act for the bigger stars on the show.

Seacrest also kidded Covington about his confusion over the food choices in Hollywood. Seacrest told him that they would go out later for a spicy tuna roll - a piece of sushi.

"I'll have a biscuit," Covington said. "And some sweet tea."

GB would be so happy
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:47:04 PM EDT
I'm kinda partial to blondes. I know I'm married and too old for her, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't like to throw a pickle in Miss Pickler!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:11:51 PM EDT
Gig_Cheese like goat herders
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:38:23 PM EDT
Is that show still on?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:39:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
Is that show still on?

unfortunaltely
Top Top