Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2017 1:09:17 PM EDT
Anyone on the front range (I'm in the springs) set up to silver solder muzzle devices?
Trying to avoid $60+ each on pin and welds
I could provide the silver solder if necessary
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the tools but im in greeley.  you could just get on Craigslist and get a b tank and torch or a small gas axe. Sell it when you're done.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn guys haha
Ive got a good shooting buddy that does still live up there, off 10th and 52nd so I am up there a few times a year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?85299-melting-points-of-solder-and-silver-solder

No. You need silver solder. No the solder from home depot.

You can physically do it with Mapp but you want acetylene to do it quickly. Or oxygen and acetylene to do it right.

Getting in and out with the heat fast is the key.

Alternatively weld the thing on there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
So I could use that torch and silver solder (I see some on eBay)?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Silver soldering requires a deft touch, and someone that knows what they're doing.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Silver soldering requires a deft touch, and someone that knows what they're doing.  

View Quote
So edumakate me
I've got more of a 'fuck it, we'll do it live' mentality but it's good to know when I'm in over my head.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:08:18 AM EDT
[#11]
This is one of those "six months ago I cudnt spell weldor, now I are one" things.  It's easy to screw things up if you don't know what you're doing.  What flux?  What solder?  What torch, and at what settings?  You might watch a bunch of the vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=silver+soldering

Can you solder copper pipe?  Any experience at all?  You'll want the solder to pull into the joint via capillary action.  You want to get it hot, but not too hot.  You can affect the temper of the steel.  Is ruining a barrel worth the chance?  I've been welding for over 30 years, I'd be hesitant to do it to one of my firearms.  I suggest you take it to a professional.  Pard, I'm not trying to harsh your mellow, I'm trying to save you some heartache.

Why do you want to silver solder or pin and weld the muzzle devices?  To bring a short barrel up to length?  To meet federal regs, in other words?  If not, you might consider one of Loctite's high temp/high strength threadlockers or retaining compounds.  Are the barrel and muzzle device threaded?  Smooth?  I've used 620 to attach slip fit muzzle brakes/flash hiders to barrels.  That stuff will not let go unless heated to 450 degrees or more.  The parts must be degreased, clean and dry before use.  Follow the directions, of course.

http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802627584001

I read of some company that uses Loctite 620 to glue shotgun barrels into their receivers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
It's about as hard to silver solder as is it to learn mig. Probably less. If you can sweat copper it's the same thing with more prep work and higher heat.

The only reason to silver solder or pin/weld muzzle devices is for atf regs.

If rob at bowers is back in action he could knock it out but you'd be paying for his time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I pin and weld exclusively.
Proper silver soldering requires heat of at least 1100 degrees into the barrel for the solder to flow.
You really want that kind of heat introduced to what many consider the most critical part of the barrel?
Not to mention destroying the finish.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I pin and weld exclusively.
Proper silver soldering requires heat of at least 1100 degrees into the barrel for the solder to flow.
You really want that kind of heat introduced to what many consider the most critical part of the barrel?
Not to mention destroying the finish.
View Quote

Here's an ignorant question: what do you use as a pin?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here's an ignorant question: what do you use as a pin?
View Quote

3/32" or 1/8" hardened steel dowel pin Brad. ACE Hardware or JAX carries them, probably .20 each
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top