Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2018 1:07:55 PM EDT
I’m headed there next month. Can anyone tell me what to expect when I enter or any other security regs that are noteworthy?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure, but the family that owns it is apparently super anti-gun from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a story about that place from the 70s... I'm sure things have changed, but I nor anyone in my family will ever return.

So, we drove from Belleville, IL down to SDC for a family vacation in the summer, much like you plan to do.

My best recollection of the place is three fold.  It was my mom, dad, sister, dad's parents, and I.

1.  1st issue upon entering... This creepy clown that was running around threatening to give people shots with a fake needle.  It came to the point that my dad grabbed the dude and told him he was going to beat his ass if he didn't leave.  My sister was bawling in fear.  I think she was 4-5 at the time.

2.  Mule ride.  Grandpa actually knocked out a mule I was riding when the mule stepped on his foot, refused to move, and the mule handler was laughing.

So, that got us thrown out, which by that point, I thought the place was a shit hole (I was around 9) and was happy to go.

3.  The final straw that threw dad over the deep end.  Got out to the car, which was a 71 GTO, black on black.  They put a f'n SDC bumper sticker on every car in the parking lot.  Dad had paid a body shop to strip and paint the rear chrome bumper black, which is where they put the sticker.  Had they put it on the back glass, probably wouldn't have been a big deal.  By the time the cops were called and the whole thing was over, we got our money back, and they paid to have the bumper painted again.

So yeah, your mileage there may vary.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The Herschend family was and still is very anti-gun. The family gave several thousand dollars to try to defeat MO CCW in 2003 when it was trying to become law. Rumor has it that Peter Herschend himself carried a gun way before CCW became legal but due to his fame and influence no one ever bothered him.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.

I wish I could give my money elsewhere but this is a large family get together and that value outweighs the negatives.

Appreciate any insight on gate security.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
ive never been checked personally but they will check carry in bags.

The coasters there are great.  secure your stuff well.  It'd be embarrassing to loose your pistol as you flip through the air.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ive never been checked personally but they will check carry in bags.

The coasters there are great.  secure your stuff well.  It'd be embarrassing to loose your pistol as you flip through the air.
View Quote
I’m not going to carry a pistol, I just want to make sure they’ll keep me safe

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't gone in two years, but we used to go every year with the kids.

I carried every single time in an IWB holster, never had a problem never checked.  I don't ride water rides (I used to work at an amusement park and the water on those rides isn't treated-NASTY) so I don't have a problem getting it wet.

ETA I either carried a Glock 19 or a 1911.  And they do have uniformed armed security guards walking around, not a bunch but I have seen them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]
They will check bags.  They haven't started wanding people yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if that starts happening soon.

An interesting tidbit though, I wonder if they have SBR's or AR pistols.  A couple of years ago, when I was there, I was behind one of the armed guards, and he had on one of those Blackhawk discreet backpacks that looked suspiciously like it had a SBR or an AR pistol in it.   YMMV.

Oh, and there might be a Ruger LCP somewhere still on the property somewhere, we had a customer at the gunstore tell us about how he had his in a holster on a roller coaster, and when he got off the ride, well, his holster wasn't as secure as he thought...

Rev_Jason
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Was at SDC last year. No wand checks at that time and I did carry my pocket pistol on me -- 38spl derringer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread makes me feel so good. Stuck going there for a company outing in a couple weeks.

Haven't been there in 20 years. Could wait another 20.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have gone once or twice a year for the past eight years.

They now have private armed security.

They use a stick to poke through bags or purses.

Individuals are not checked.

I lost a knife on Wildfire.

Never lost a gun.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again for the intel. I was there this past weekend and the security was as advertised.

I didn’t lose anything
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Thinking about going this weekend, is there a difference in crowds between Sat and Sun?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I was there two weekends ago and they had an officer with his dog there patrolling the park.  I bent over to pet him and he licked my hand.  The same hand that had just been on my M&P Shield that was in my pocket.  Asked the officer if he was there for drugs or crowd control and he said it was for gunpowder/explosives.  Lovely dog but apparently needs to go back to sniffing school.  I slinked away discreetly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top