Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/28/2004 6:18:38 PM EST
Hey guys,
I'm sure you will think this is a real dumb question and that if I don't already know this I shouldn't be buying, but let me assure you it's not because I'm dumb. First off, I'm in the military and stationed in the Communist Nation called California. My legal state of residency is actually MO. I have a MO DL, address, phone, etc. But I maintain a place of domicile in CA. What I need to know is what it takes to make the purchase of a lower receiver in MO. I've read all around on the state sites, but all I can find is stuff on handgun purchases. I'm pretty familiar with that, as I purchased one a couple years back when I was out there, got the permit to purchase and all. What identification will I need? Do I need some sort of utility bill or something? I'll have a Mil ID and MO Driver License, but I can get the utility bill if necessary. I've gotten my assault weapons permit here in this state (funny that I'm calling a semi auto M16 that I carry/shoot all the time an assault weapon!) so legally possessing and owning in this state is taken care of, but here they want documentation of everything you've ever done since conception to prove you can own/buy a gun, so I thought I'd check before I hit the road next month and drive out there for a month. Any help you guys can give me would be great. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you to have a clear picture of what would otherwise be considered pure stupidity. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:59:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 7:01:11 PM EST by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:35:56 PM EST
yeah, I am actually able to. I have an assault weapons permit for each that I already own. In this communist state, if you're ordered here in the military, you may apply for a permit for each weapon. They charge you for each one, but they give you the permit.
How does the NICS background check work for rifles? How long does it take?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:09:43 PM EST
In missouri, with acceptable missouri ID, for long guns (rifles, shotguns) you fill out the form 4473, they call in a NICS check, wait a minute or two, give the guy the money, walk out the door with your new fun toy in hand.
Thats all there is to it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:12:09 PM EST
TBK1 correct me if I'm wrong, but buying a lower receiver is just like buying a rifle is it not? If so, in my experience, with buying rifles, the dealer, whether it be CMMG or Wal-Mart gets your info, ss# etc, whether or not you have been convicted of certain crimes, etc. then they call it in to a hotline on the spot. Usually takes between 5 and 15 min and there is no charge, it's just a background check. If I'm wrong and just talking out my ass, I'm sure I will hear about it fairly quickly. But that's been my experience everytime.
Justin
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:13:41 PM EST
you must be a faster typist than I am Gary lol, ya beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:16:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:18:18 PM EST
thanks everyone! I knew I'd get the answers here.
No one can speak on the CA AWB here, it's ever changing and continually in a state of interpretation (usually misinterpretation), so I went directly to the DOJ in CA and they gave me what I needed (paperwork and payment requirement), and have subsequently filed all the necessary stuff for what I've got now. For the new lower, I have to purchase it first, then while the lower is still in MO I file the paper/money to the DOJ again for this one, then it's legal. They allow both LEOs and Military personnel ordered into the Republik, ownership of 'CA Assault Weapons' so long as you let them know you have it. It makes them feel all warm and fuzzy to know you have it. They reserve the right to require you to purchase an appropriate storage device or safe for any assault weapons you register. I already have a vault, so I just showed them the receipt for it and they gave me no trouble whatsoever. Thanks again for all the help, truly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:41:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:34:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 7:35:45 PM EST by MouseGun87]

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Originally Posted By nascar3n8fan:
TBK1 correct me if I'm wrong, but buying a lower receiver is just like buying a rifle is it not? If so, in my experience, with buying rifles, the dealer, whether it be CMMG or Wal-Mart gets your info, ss# etc, whether or not you have been convicted of certain crimes, etc. then they call it in to a hotline on the spot. Usually takes between 5 and 15 min and there is no charge, it's just a background check. If I'm wrong and just talking out my ass, I'm sure I will hear about it fairly quickly. But that's been my experience everytime.
Justin

You are exactly correct--long guns are not dealt with under state law, only handguns are, which require a permit from the local Sheriff's office, in addition to the normal federal NICS background check. A lower receiver IS a rifle per federal law. The 4473 takes a little while to fill out, then the NICS call only takes a couple of minutes, as long as it's "Approved." Again, I cannot address the Cali AWB law.

unless the handgun in question is a C&R and/or antique. The law actually has this exception in writing (not a loophole). But all FFLs that I know require Sheriff's permit for any handgun purchase, regardless that you are buying a C&R piece.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:45:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By MouseGun87:

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Originally Posted By nascar3n8fan:
Justin

You are exactly correct--long guns are not dealt with under state law, only handguns are, which require a permit from the local Sheriff's office, in addition to the normal federal NICS background check. A lower receiver IS a rifle per federal law. The 4473 takes a little while to fill out, then the NICS call only takes a couple of minutes, as long as it's "Approved." Again, I cannot address the Cali AWB law.

unless the handgun in question is a C&R and/or antique. The law actually has this exception in writing (not a loophole). But all FFLs that I know require Sheriff's permit for any handgun purchase, regardless that you are buying a C&R piece.

IF you have a C&R license you do not have to undergo the NICS/4473/sheriffs permission slip routine but this ONLY applies to C&R transfers when the purchaser possess a C&R license.
In other words if you do not have a C&R license just ignore everything I said. If you do have a C&R license then you should already know this so just ignore me regardless...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:02:30 AM EST
Gary,

the MO State law does not say anything about C&R FFL.

www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/22ndedition/missouri.pdf

Read 571.080 Subsection 3. This subsections specifically mention "dealers", "retailers", and "wholesalers" ... then at the bottom it says:

" ... ; nor shall it (Subsection 1 - Violation) apply to antique firearms or replicas thereof; nor shall it apply to curio or relic firearms as defined in Section 571.010 (which is basically the ATF definition of C&R)."

Did I misunderstand this section?

oz
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:39:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By MouseGun87:
Gary,

the MO State law does not say anything about C&R FFL.

www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/22ndedition/missouri.pdf

Read 571.080 Subsection 3. This subsections specifically mention "dealers", "retailers", and "wholesalers" ... then at the bottom it says:

" ... ; nor shall it (Subsection 1 - Violation) apply to antique firearms or replicas thereof; nor shall it apply to curio or relic firearms as defined in Section 571.010 (which is basically the ATF definition of C&R)."

Did I misunderstand this section?

oz

I dunno, I have been recieving C&R handguns through UPS/Fedex for years and never filed any paperwork with the local LEO.
Umm... should I have said that here?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:22:00 AM EST
Gary, your fine at saying that, it is correct. i think what Mouse is getting at is depending on the ATF/Sheriff/Lawyer reading the ruling is that C&R weapons is exempt from the permit for all people, not just C&r holders. you will get a differnt answer on the quistion each time. Ronald
Top Top