Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 11:42:52 PM EDT
Do any of you know what the real deal is on owning a silencer in this State is? I have heard and read 3 differing opinions.

1. A civilian may own one (with all of the appropriate government forms approved and LEO sign off) - but you can not install it on a weapon.

2. Same as above, but OK to install, but NOT OK to fire without a law enforcement officer present.

3. All of the above is B.S. - you cant have one.

I don't have the links at hand, but can dig them up if you would like to see the info stating that it is "supposedly" legal to own one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
someone who knows should be along here shortly, but until then i'll take a stab at it.

you can own them, you just can't use them(legally)
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do any of you know what the real deal is on owning a silencer in this State is? I have heard and read 3 differing opinions.

1. A civilian may own one (with all of the appropriate government forms approved and LEO sign off) - but you can not install it on a weapon.

2. Same as above, but OK to install, but NOT OK to fire without a law enforcement officer present.

3. All of the above is B.S. - you cant have one.

I don't have the links at hand, but can dig them up if you would like to see the info stating that it is "supposedly" legal to own one.

I know 2 & 3 are not correct. LEO gets no exemptions in the RCW for suppressors, and you can have one.

I dont know whether or not you can legally attach it to the firearm, but I am sure you cant discharge it.

I looked at www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm, but when looking at the footnotes noticed they call it a silencer, so I would be skittish about using them as a legal advisor. Attention to detail is a must for legal parameters.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I know 2 & 3 are not correct. LEO gets no exemptions in the RCW for suppressors, and you can have one.

I dont know whether or not you can legally attach it to the firearm, but I am sure you cant discharge it.

I'm in agreement with CavVet.
Its been awhile since Ive read the statute, but to the best of my knowledge theres nothing legalwise about attaching a can to a gun(integral comes to mind), however IT IS A GROSS MISDEMEANOR to use/discharge a suppressor within the state. One major advantage to cans is theres "relaxed" interstate rules unlike other NFA stuff. So going shooting in OR or ID would be possible, relatively hassle free and legal.
Take everything ya hear about NFA stuff from people who don't own it with a grain of salt, myself included.  HTH
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Great info guys. Thank you all!

It appears like it is "ok" to own one, but is still kind of a legal "gray" area?

I am nothing close to a Lawyer - so am I wrong in my interpretation of the letter posted?It also looks like the letter is from 1988?

Is there anyone out there (in Washington) that actually owns one? If you do, can you tell all of us "wanna bees" exactly what the process is?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the 4-1-1. I own a few of them suppressor tube thingys you speak of.

#1 is about the closest to being correct.

The law (RCW 9.41.250) states that it is illegal to use any device or contrivance to muffle the report of a firearm.

So, yes, it is legal to own (with proper paperwork ,etc). It is legal to attach to the firearm. It is illegal to USE the device inside of Washington. You may take it to Oregon or Idaho and use it there until your heart's content.

Footnotes:
1. There is no LEO exemption. Every time a LEO uses a "can" in WA they are breaking the law (as my friend says "It's great to live in a police state so long as you're the police.")
2. It is a Class C misdemeanor if you use it. You will likely lose the can and the gun it was attached to if you are caught.
3. There is no exemption for manufacturers to test their own, legally made products. Nor for dealers demo-ing their wares to LEO's. But they do it anyway.
4. I know people at many public ranges that use them openly (including at the Seattle PD range). Most LEO's that know anything know it is a stupid law and so long as you possess it in accordance with Federal Law... they don't care. But.. don't construe that as my personal authorization for you to go shoot your can. Do it at your own risk.

In closing. Suppressors are a lot of fun. Other than a .22LR they ARE NOT Hollywood movie quiet except with subsonic ammo which gives them all the knockdown power of a .22LR anyway so... Owning suppressors is less about being a stealthy, sniper like figure and more about exercising your rights as a gun owner to fullest and also experiencing all the joys of shooting without the annoying muzzle blast and cumbersome hearing protection (keep the eye protection though... cans blow a lot of crap backward out of the firearms action). The best part is actually hearing the bullet travel downrange and hearing the sound of it impacting its target. It adds a whole new dimension to shooting.

Expect to spend about $1,000 on your first suppressor purchase (to include purchase, tax, transfer fees, threading of barrels, etc.) maybe $700-$800 if you buy a .22LR can first.

I fully recommend that you make your first suppressor purchase a .22LR. It will be the most versatile, and fun can you own. Learn from me... I made it my latest can purchase... wished I had done it sooner instead of large caliber pistol and rifle cans.

Finally, who do I recommend for cans? www.gem-tech.com
They make the best and the Outback is one of the best .22LR cans you can buy for the money. Remember... you have to drop $200 bucks on this thing in tax alone. Don't settle for some $150 knock off because when you realize how much you hate it and want to get a Gemtech.... you'll have to drop another $200 in tax.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Lord DarkHelmet...the force is definitely with you! I am eagerly awaiting the info (forms, where to get them, and exactly who needs to sign off on them) so I can get going!

I would also like to thank you for the advice on a "first can" to purchase. I was going to get one for my 9mm, but I think I will take your advice to start out with.

My reasons for wanting one are mainly to exercise my rights, and try to get one before Washington changes the laws someday.

I kind of think they will eventually enter the same class as a "pre ban DIAS" (at least in this State) - but I hope not.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.atg.wa.gov/opinions/1988/opinion_1988_016.html

Can a brotha get a TACK!?

Link added to the IMPORTANT THREADS AND STUFF! Gun Shows, Legislative Info, Merchandise, etc. post tacked on top of the Hometown home page. :)
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
A responsive moderator!

[bored kode]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I got an awesome bit of info from DarkHelmet, and have put it in a new post! Maybe it is "tack worthy" as well...we will see!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top