Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 1:00:40 PM EST
OK, I am visiting Sierra Vista for the weekend. Will be entertaining my wife and niece (West Point Cadet doing something at Fort Huachuca).

I think we will have an evening to eat Friday, then all Saturday to sight see, then some of SUnday. WHat I'd like to know is:

Good places to eat in Sierra Vista

Stuff to see:

Where is the airplane graveyard?
Tombstone is cool?
???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 2:10:41 PM EST
Tombstone ain't really cool, but its fun to see. Bisbee is worth the drive, take a look at the mine pit. Douglas will show you what happens when an old Arizona border town goes third world.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 2:17:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2009 2:19:27 PM EST by BillBond]
Tombstone is overated.
Bisbee is cool.
Douglas if you want your car stolen and taken to Mexico.
The grave yard is in South Tucson, driven by it a bunch but never thought about going in.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 2:50:10 PM EST
Kartchner Caverns just up the road. Excellent!

www.explorethecaverns.com
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:14:44 PM EST
You guys got me nervous now. I drive a 2008 Porsche Cayenne and since I have to go on base I can't even take protection in the car with me

Isn't southern AZ still in America?

Oh and thanks. I'll try Bisbee and Karchner carverns for sure.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:38:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

You guys got me nervous now. Isn't southern AZ still in America?

Yes, it's still in North America. But so is The People's Republic of Kalifornistan.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:47:40 PM EST
Check out the Missile Silo in Sahuarita,

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:47:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:
Isn't southern AZ still in America?

That's very debatable.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:51:55 PM EST
Im fairly new stationed at Huachuca for CPTs course...theres a decent shooting range down 90, also one on post vic the Sportsman's Club

As far as eats, if you want to get away from your average chains, a few suggestions depending on your mood.

-Delio's Italian-Off of 90 towards the mall

-La Casita's/Ricardo's-Both local Mexican, i've heard the advantage goes to Ricardo's, but both are pretty good

-And a nice local diner down by Delio's

Airplane graveyard I believe is in Pima/Tucson

WIfe and I had a pretty good time at Tombstone, of course there was a gun show there when we went. If you all need something to do Fri/Sat night, theres a great little country bar called Dillons down 90.

If you need/want anymore local info, feel free to drop me a PM

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:09:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By BillBond:
Tombstone is overated.
Bisbee is cool.
Douglas if you want your car stolen and taken to Mexico.
The grave yard is in South Tucson, driven by it a bunch but never thought about going in.

We don't consider that "S. Tucson" , it's more Eastside.... Kolb and Irvington is a good spot to park and look... Pima Air Museum is on Valencia, west of Kolb a mile or so. They have some great old planes including several former AF Ones and an SR71.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:46:02 PM EST
Thanks cowboy. I was just going to ask about eating. SHooting is out of the question. If I was gonna do that I'd have brought her to our house in Cave Creek and taken my guns to the range near home. I think she gets to play with the US Army's toys sometimes.*

Looks like I got one day about planned.

Saturday - Drive to AZ Sonoran Desert Museum past Tucson and spend a couple hours

Head to "Old Tucson" and wander in there for several more hours.

Since we won't hit the road until 9 earliest and it is an hour and a half each way that gets us back to SV about 4 earliest. If we are that early I might try to check out the Titan missile silo. Not clear the wife unit is too keen on that one though

Back to SV for dinner. I did some research and was wondering about Mariscos Chihuahua. Sounds interesting. WIth a margarita, nachos and some shrimp how bad can it get?

Probably home early (we get up early and I'm guessing a west point cadet doesn't sleep in too often).

Sunday still working it but thinking about Pima Air and Space and Karthner Caverns. Maybe Bisbee if time permits. She has to be back on base at a certain time which I don't know what is.

Thanks guys. I'ts coming together.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:53:48 PM EST
Yea, Mariscos is right off post, kinda looks like one of those places you get hepatitis by walking in, havent heard any good story come out of that place. My one request is whrn you come down here, dont rape our meager ammo supply.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:38:35 AM EST
check out the titan missile muesum... it's a really good tour and the only one left in the world

Richard
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:43:28 AM EST
The Pima Air Museum is worth seeing. You can easily burn an entire day there. Call them or go to their website if you want to go onto the AAMARC facility on a bus tour. You can't just drive onto the reclamation area, unless you have .mil ID, and even then it may not be possible to see what you can from a bus tour.

There are plenty of inside displays at the air museum. Get there early and take a tram tour of the grounds and then spend time inside the buildings.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:43:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By Cowboy77:
Yea, Mariscos is right off post, kinda looks like one of those places you get hepatitis by walking in, havent heard any good story come out of that place. My one request is whrn you come down here, dont rape our meager ammo supply.

I won't touch your ammo supply I gots a lot already.

I think Mariscos is out. My wife is errrr picky.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:55:02 AM EST
I live in Sierra Vista and shoot at all of the ranges.
Just put your guns in the luggage on post, no problem.

Eat, I took Mas Ayoob to Daysy May's which is right off post, great steaks and ribe and it the adobe room IS the old Stage Stop from the 1880's. Then for Lunch to La Casita for great food. (Owned by the same family that owns La Fonda in Flagstaff)
Visit Trailboss Gunstore on Fry, the owner Gary is a direct decendent of Lt. Gatewood who captured Geronimo, sometimes he has his grandfather's Colt on display.
Go to the Post Museum, it is as historical from a military point of view as Tombstone is to the West.
To get to Tombstone quickly, go on the Charleston Road. Go to Walmart and continue East on the same road, go past Buena H S and in 14 minutes you will be in Tombstone. At the San Pedro River you will see the place the Mormon BN fought the Battle of the Bulls, and the site of Charleston. From that spot to the outskirts of Tombstone was Clanton Land. You will also pass the ruins of Brunknow's cabin where Schefflin took refuge before he found the silver vein. (Oh sometime ask me the real story behind his finding the silver strike)
Do not buy a gun in Tombstone, overpriced beyond overpriced.
Buy at Trailboss, or at Second Ammendment in Biusbee.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:33:07 AM EST
+1 on the post museum, there is an Intelligence museum right down the street from there too. The post cemetary is pretty cool to check out, there are some interesting burials there and it's not far from the museums.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:16:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/10/2009 12:23:06 PM EST by m4whore]
Gracie’s station at Highway 90 and I-10 a new western style restaurant, kind of expensive but good, epically the full rack of ribs at $22. Bisbee is an extreme leftist hybrid hillbilly/hippy town; everyone I have taken there got creped out and wanted to leave. Sonoita is a small/fake (no grapes are actually grown there) wine country but is very pretty. I heard old Tucson sucks. But the ghost town where they filmed Tombstone is off of I-10/Mescal mm295ish, by appointment. Or you can take the illegal alien reality tour by just pulling off any side raod on highway 90/80 or exit on I-10 and looking around in the brush. m4whore
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:45:07 PM EST
Yeah everybody talks about how great Bisbee is, the Mine is cool but the town is liberal hippy central. Tombstone is another waste of a drive in my opinion, not alot to do for the amount of time it takes you to get there. Titan Missile and the desert museum are great and Kartchner caverns is really nice but we had to make reservations when we went. Mariscos is ok in Tucson they have good Ceviche, If you want good Mexican food go anywhere on the south side and my favorite places to eat are the ROACH COACHES just find one with lots of locals and it will be good.

I will take an Illegal as a neighbor over a liberal any day.....................
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:59:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By THUNDERSTICKJOHNSON:
I will take an Illegal as a neighbor over a liberal any day.....................

Unfortunately they are usually both. m4whore

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:09:30 PM EST
Thanks all. Just got home from the 3.5 hour drive. Whew.

OK, we had a great time.

Saturday we visited the AZ Sonora Desert Museum. Very cool. I love nature and it is a nice time. After we stopped a the Pima Air museum. Dayum. Really cool. Although I advise walking the place instead of taking the tram tour if you have the energy. The tour was OK but I really wish I could have gotten some differnt photo angles.

Saturday night in SV we had Mexican food at La Casita. Food was OK and I liked the loud background with the mariachis and shit. A really good day.

Sunday we visited Bisbee. We had Breakfast at the Breakfast Club resturant. Really recommnd it for locval flavor and good food. After we stumbled around and soaked up the local atmosphere including shopping for crap (in one store with a seriously scary transvestite working). Then we tried the Copper Queen mine tour. Really cool. Went down to 1500 feet and had a ball.

Drove out to Tombstone with is totally tourist but had fun watching the Earps waste the Clantons. Jeez, don't the Clantons EVER learn

Thanks for the help all.

Top Top