Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:04:55 AM EDT
I'm retiring next year and am planning to buy a home in the next 6-8 months . I've noticed some nice new homes/developments in Shulkill and Berks counties. I'd appreciate and info on either county

Which towns are nicer?
Class 3 friendly ?
FFL not diificult to get signed off by local town?
Shopping
crime?

thanks in advance for any advice
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:15:05 PM EDT
Come on no one has any info ?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:05:40 PM EDT
Eastern Berks is more developed. All in all, both are still rural counties. Crime is typical of what you'd expect in rural areas, meaning not noteable. Not sure about the Class III signoffs. Take a run thru Pottsville. It's the "big town" in Shuylkill co.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:03:51 PM EDT by 10dblmike]
Have grown up and lived in the greater Reading/Berks area most of my life.

The greater(or lesser in many people's eyes) Reading area is not where you want to be for an FFL sign off, as the city gov. itself leans a bit(or more) to the left. When a life-long local desired to open his on shop in Mt. Penn(immediately east of Reading proper), he had to bargain away his Class III rights to get the borough to grant him the privilege of doing business in their area. There are no businesses legally selling firearms within the city limits that I'm aware of.

The eastern part of Berks is becoming very "closed in" with development and this sickness is spreading out along all the major routes out of Reading, with more and more "Plastic-ville" developments every year. It wouldn't be too bad, except that a lot of the "newbies" are NJ & NY transplants that, after fleeing the tax and over bearing regulatory hells of those states, seem to think that their new locals should be more like their old haunts. BTW, that also goes for the ones fleeing Philly. None of them ever seem to learn! Crime in the city(Reading) has been higher than one would think it should be for its size and as all to common, is related to gangs and drugs. The Civic Center came 25 years too late to save the downtown area, but that'd be a whole story in itself.

Berks north of Shoemakersville and west of Route 61, to the south of US route 422 West is okay west of Cumru Township and the northern peak townships of Windsor, Albany and Greenwhich are all fairly nice and open. The west/northwest still have relatively lower asking prices for land, compared to other areas of the county, but that's changing pretty quickly(and has been for some time).

Sorry that I can't help you on the Class 3 info. I'll ask about and post back(unless someone beats me to it).

Shopping - there are the VF outlets, malls and the usual things. One area that has improved over the years, is the great Jazz events being held in the area. That's if you like Jazz.

On Schuylkill county, it's much more open(land wise) than Berks and Pottsville is about it for larger(if it could be considered so) cities in Schuylkill. Beyond that, somebody else will have to fill in the details on this one.

On your retirement, enjoy it and welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 10dblmike:
Have grown up and lived in the greater Reading/Berks area most of my life.

The greater(or lesser in many people's eyes) Reading area is not where you want to be for an FFL sign off, as the city gov. itself leans a bit(or more) to the left. When a life-long local desired to open his on shop in Mt. Penn(immediately east of Reading proper), he had to bargain away his Class III rights to get the borough to grant him the privilege of doing business in their area. There are no businesses legally selling firearms within the city limits that I'm aware of.

The eastern part of Berks is becoming very "closed in" with development and this sickness is spreading out along all the major routes out of Reading, with more and more "Plastic-ville" developments every year. It wouldn't be too bad, except that a lot of the "newbies" are NJ & NY transplants that, after fleeing the tax and over bearing regulatory hells of those states, seem to think that their new locals should be more like their old haunts. BTW, that also goes for the ones fleeing Philly. None of them ever seem to learn! Crime in the city(Reading) has been higher than one would think it should be for its size and as all to common, is related to gangs and drugs. The Civic Center came 25 years too late to save the downtown area, but that'd be a whole story in itself.

Berks north of Shoemakersville and west of Route 61, to the south of US route 422 West is okay west of Cumru Township and the northern peak townships of Windsor, Albany and Greenwhich are all fairly nice and open. The west/northwest still have relatively lower asking prices for land, compared to other areas of the county, but that's changing pretty quickly(and has been for some time).

Sorry that I can't help you on the Class 3 info. I'll ask about and post back(unless someone beats me to it).

Shopping - there are the VF outlets, malls and the usual things. One area that has improved over the years, is the great Jazz events being held in the area. That's if you like Jazz.

On Schuylkill county, it's much more open(land wise) than Berks and Pottsville is about it for larger(if it could be considered so) cities in Schuylkill. Beyond that, somebody else will have to fill in the details on this one.

On your retirement, enjoy it and welcome aboard!

thanks very much for the info and the congrats Rest assured that this New Yorker is a life long conservative republican 100%

Thats the main reason I'm moving , to get away from the whining liberals

keep up the info its been very helpful
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:48:07 AM EDT
I personally would not want to live near Reading. Last year, it was rated number 25 in the nation in terms of cities with violent crimes. You may also want to consider Carbon County. Land is still relatively inexpensive. I don't know about friendliness to FFL but it is a very nice area, close to the Poconos, Lehigh River runs through, plenty of strip mines... I don't think it has any cities. Closest is probably Allentown, but there are major highways close-by like the NE Extenstion of the PA Turnpike and Interstate 78. Cost of living is cheap... especially as compared to where I live, Bucks County.

HTH
Dave
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:16:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 8:18:11 PM EDT by Dance]
I live in Northern Schuylkill County.

Which towns are nicer?

Depends on what you mean by nicer and what size town you are looking for. Lots of nice small towns and rural areas in Schuylkill County. Orwigsburg, Deer lake area is nice in the south end, Hegins area is nice, Ringtown area is decent. Ashland area is ok, also along with other small towns. Pottsville/Frackville/Shenandoah/William Penn/Lower Shaft and some other areas never impressed me.

Class 3 friendly ?

Not too sure on this as it probably varies from township to township, but most things are very laid back here so probably wouldn't be a problem.

Shopping

Depends what you are looking for really. I have no trouble finding anything I want relatively close and Reading or allentown is only an hour away or so for shopping, along with WB/Scranton at 45 min away.

crime?

Depends on where you are, there are some murders and stuff every once in awhile but mainly there is no problem with crime. Very low rate or burglary and low level crime.

If there are any other questions I can answer just drop me an IM.

Edited to add about Berks, as i worked there for awhile and have friends there.

Which towns are nicer?

Lots of nice areas like Schuylkill. Reading and Reading area is horrible. Bernville and hamburg areas are decent, south and east fairly built up. Basically north of Reading is nice.

Class 3 friendly ?

No idea, but north of reading areas are probably easier then reading areas south.

Shopping

Loadfs of shopping in Reading area and south, North of reading is more sparse but shopping wouldn't be much of a problem.

crime?

Reading has loads of crime, North of reading decent, south of reading ok, but more crime then north.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:55:03 AM EDT
Northern Berks here myself, if had had to do it all over again I would have gotten a place in Schuylkill County.

Lower taxes, crime, more rural and property is a bit cheaper. Even living rural you wont be but a 10-20 minute drive to "civilization" in most cases.

My .02 and good luck to you!
Top Top