Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 11:48:01 AM EDT
At yesterdays Practical Rifle some members expressed concern about bringing steel targets to the group shoot. They say with so many unknown shooters showing up the chances of someone ruining the targets with “steel core” ammo is high. They say don’t risk it.

I have three steel rifle targets, one of which has already been damaged by “steel core” ammo. The damaged target is falling apart because the holes also cracked the plate so it is only a matter of time before it flies apart.

The rifle target support arms and legs are also made of light metal.  They can bend and break with a single shot.  One wild shot can bring the whole target down. Bumpfiring and auto fire in their general direction is a no-go because of this.

I also have a pistol caliber dueling tree. If there is a side area maybe we could set it up for pistol only. The weakest part is the center support that holds the plates. It can bend if it is hit with even weak pistol bullets. It is make of light metal, not heavy steel like the plates. It is not meant for wild shooters who can’t keep their shots on the plates. If a plate only swings halfway out of view you can't keep shooting at it and risking hitting the center support.

So what do you guys think?  Should I bring them out to the shoot? Do you think we could watch them closely enough so newbie’s (or oldie's) with "steel core ammo" won’t destroy them?  Can we keep ourselves from destroying the targets?

A partial list of bad ammo is:
5.56mm SS109
5.56mm (X)M855
Older steel core 7.62x39
.30-06 Armor piercing
Surplus steel core bolt action ammo like some 8mm Mauser, etc.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
LOOK OUT!  There's a meth head in the right bush!

I'd love to shoot them, but I think only having targets which we can distroy is a good idea.

M.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]

So one vote no.  

Steel targets = Fun!

"Steel core" ammo on steel targets = no fun :
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
TF,

I think it would be very cool if you could bring the pistol dueling tree.  We could set it up on either the left or right side of the firing line, and make it clear to everyone that it is to only be used for pistol target shooting.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The most likely senario is this, I'll be so hopped up on coffee and candy that when I get ahold of the MG42 I'm going to want to spray it down!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't bring anything you don't want totally destroyed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Is there any area of the pit that can only be viewed from a limited part of the firingline?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
you could put on the right or left ends of the line.  
...they are both ok pistol areas.  sometimes when theres non-ARFers are up there on the weekends, I try to claim the right side so I can shoot the distance straight on, but also shoot to the right a bit at a couple of mounds.  I just put targets on the mounds for my pistols, they are are close in and only accessable to whoever is farthest right (or left).  

I hope that made some sense.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Dueling tree would be cool, but I would consider the rifle ones expendable if you brought them....too many variables to control there. The far right side of the pit is a pretty good place to set up pistol stuff, it's shallower than the rest, but has a tall berm.
  I'll look around my garage too, I think I have a chunk of 1" plate somewhere....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
you could put on the right or left ends of the line.  
...they are both ok pistol areas.  sometimes when theres non-ARFers are up there on the weekends, I try to claim the right side so I can shoot the distance straight on, but also shoot to the right a bit at a couple of mounds.  I just put targets on the mounds for my pistols, they are are close in and only accessable to whoever is farthest right (or left).  

I hope that made some sense.

Is it possible to walk forward to reset the targets without ceasefiring the whole line?

Another issue is bullet spatter bouncing back from the steel. You don't want your car parked near or people without protective glasses wandering by.  The area will have to be marked off.  Could someone with a canopy setup for just the pistol shooting?  I have a small table shooters could use to reload on. That might be enough to keep it separate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to try and bring my gongs again this time. By gongs, I mean Harbor Freight $1 cast iron fry pans tied to a saw horse. If they die (high probability) so what.

Then, if they're getting really destroyed...we'll just put some of those "reactive targets" up against the legs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
GREAT, I'm loading belts of .308 AP right now. Eric
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ Eleventy billion!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top