Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 5:23:01 PM EDT
I think I may have a kernel of corn in my lung. It will decompose right?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Right.
Just like it decomposes / is digested  in your stomach and intestines when you eat whole corn.

Wait till you see the instrument they're going to use to retrieve it.
You'll shit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Right.
Just like it decomposes / is digested  in your stomach and intestines when you eat whole corn.

LOL didn't think of that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

IIRC it WILL have to be removed, else it will cause a serious infection and blockage in the lung, which could be fatal.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC it WILL have to be removed, else it will cause a serious infection and blockage in the lung, which could be fatal.  

Christ How do I know if it really went down? There was projectile corn coughing
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Have someone shake you and see if you hear a rattling noise
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You could wait until August and see if you're as high as an elephant's eye
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I choked on some food once, which caused me to involuntarily cough forcibly. About a month later I ended up in the hospital's isolation room for weeks with what the doctors thought was Tuberculosis, as a spot showed up on my lung. It ended up being an anaerobic infection from the food. Go see your doctor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You could lay in a tanning bed and listen for popping sounds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't be a pussy. Take care of it yourself with a ShopVac.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go see your doctor.

Give me your guns while you are in the Hospital .

Do you have any ARs ??

Hmm- a transfer is more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period ........................

Give them to me for free.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#11]
just sneeze..... but don't aim at anyone....you could shoot their eye out!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This just might beat the nipple shot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Why do you think it went into your lungs?

Any foreign object that enters the lungs initially causes violent coughing which may or may not cause the item to be ejected.

For small particles which remain, the body has a system of removal (mainly mucous from goblet cells and cilia) but larger items cannot be ejected if not by coughing. It will eventually start to decompose on its own which has a chance of causing pneumonia. There is also a chance nothing will come of it as aspiration of food is fairly common. You'd have more to worry about if you had a weakened immune system for whatever reason.

If you start to feel short of breath, have a strong, persistent cough that previously you did not have (especially it starts to produce yellow, green or blood tinged sputum) or if you develop a fever in conjunction with the above, immediately see your MD.

If you do develop a recurring cough, do not take antitussives or cough suppressants until after seeing a MD.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This happens to people all the time, dont worry about it unless your immune system is compromised. If you develop a cold/cough or especially a fever go get it checked out. Otherwise your bodies natural defenses will take care of it. Dont be such a pussy.

Yeah, just rub some dirt on it.

ETA: I hate it when I inhale food.  The other day it was a piece of rotisserie chicken.  I was coughing so hard I thought I would die.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#16]
get a chest x ray and make sure if your worried. you might need a broncoscopy and wash if it is serious. i see complications from aspiration all the time, although its usually in patients who are in their 80's and 90's. the infections can be pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hmmm. was the corn cooked?

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.treehugger.com/corn%20boring%20worm.jpg

Hmmm. was the corn cooked?

Now that is just evil!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Paging fish223
 He'll crack your chest on the kitchen table and get that piece of corn out in no time.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha. This cracked me up. IIRC? In how many instances is it OK to have foreign objects in your lungs?

Match Box cars, yes... paper clip, yes... Corn Kernel, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top