Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:07:00 AM EDT
This weekend's Shotgun course got me thinking I should look into getting another shotgun.  Looking into an autoloader that could serve duty in a 3-gun match someday.  Anyone have any recommendations on what to get?  Rem 1100?  1187?  Others?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I like my 1100CM and have not had any problems with it, but I have only shot about 500 shells out of it.  I really like my Winchester Super X2.  Never had a problem with it in well over 5000 shells.  Shoots  low brass to 3.5" turkey loads and anything in the middle.  Winchester also makes a "Practical" version of the SX2 with an extended mag tube and a nice set of sights.  It was on their website before but now I just see the SX3.

I bet there are many people here that like Benellis too, nothing bad about them M1/M2 or the SBE are great.  I just know more about my guns that I have and will let somebody else chime in with the Benelli rundown.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the Pancor's Jackhammer or the HK CAWS.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the benellis, but as you saw this weekend they can be a bit ammo sensitive, although that can be said of most auto loaders.  another problem is getting a hold of parts.  the ext mag tubes aren't being sold to civies anymore and it appears that alot of their other stuff are special order items from most shops.  probably because the parts, like the guns, are a bit spendy.  i'll bring mine one tues and you can test it out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I knew I could coulnt on my friendly neighborhood Talibeard.  See you tonight!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Chop down the stock on your 870 to a shorter LOP.  I like your 870 stick with it and make it better in the ways that count.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Mossberg 590. Best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorites are Benelli M1 Super 90s or Beretta 1201FP.

Benelli's are a little spendy 650 to 850. A Beretta 1201FP runs 450 to 600.

Remington autos are less expensive.....but I have had more problems with Remington auto loaders than any other semi auto shotguns.

But if you are just starting out with a shotgun, and will not be using it for hunting/sporting clays the Remington might be a good starter shotgun.

I don't know if it is still there but Gun Stop had a Remington 1100 set up for 3 gun match. Ext. Tube, pistol grip stock, 22 "vent rib barrel and over size charging handle. For $360 something.

The Frontiersman in St. Louis park has Beretta 1201FP, Benelli M1 or M2 and Franchi
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are interested in 3-gun competition take a look at www.brianenos.com.  Many threads on what the "best" semi-auto shotgun is for 3-gun.  I favor the Benelli but have also used the 1100 without problems.  The 1100 was purchased with three barrels from a pawn shop for $200.00.  about $80.00 in added parts and some home gunsmithing and it was good to go.  

I have used an 870 in He-Man division (you have to use a .45 handgun, .308 rifle, 12ga. pump shotgun) but found the HK Fabarms FP6 to be a little faster due to the fact the bolt unlocks upon firing even if you are exerting rear pressure to the forearm already.  The Winchester 1300 does this also.  Just a matter of timing.  As Sully stated, someone with good skills can really make the pump shotgun sing.  The speed really comes in to play when you start shooting from unorthodox positions.  Even shooting from prone with a pump is a handicap compared to a semi-auto.

Start the 3-gun competition in the He-Man Division and see where the addiction takes you from there.  3-gun competition is known as the "crack" of shooting addictions.  Try it once and you are hooked
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out some of the video footage on www.multigun.com.  The ones with kurtm and kellyn are good shotgun ones.  Two different reloading styles demonstrated.  The starting position, shooting from inside of a vehicle, kind of shows how a semi-auto might be faster than the pump in some situations.  

The pump Patrick Kelley uses is the Win. 1300.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Best bang for the buck is the Remington 870.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top