Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 8:33:34 AM EDT
I need to test-fire a shotgun. Anybody know of a place to do that in the Cumming area?

(...and contrary to popular belief, NO they don't allow it in the Town Square. But I wish they did.)

;)
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The only place I can suggest is the Wilson Shoals WMA range.  It's up I-985 (north of Gainesville).  Take 985 until it becomes 365.  After another few miles you'll see Mud Creek Road on the right (you'll also see the brown DNR sign).  Take Mud Creek until it dead ends (like 2 miles or less).  Take a left, then immediate right over the railroad tracks.  The WMA is one the left a few miles down the road.

Just hit 985 and watch for the brown DNR signs.  There are signs posted all the way from the Mud Creek turn to the WMA.

You can shoot shotshells there.

BTW, whatcha shootin'?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm having to switch out home defense guns. With a toddler in the house, the .45 is becoming a no-go... it would be too easy for him to pick up and point if all the other precautions I take failed.
I picked up a barely used Mossy 500 and put an 18 inch barrel and shell holder on it. It's not bad for a pawn shop special. It can also double as a dove/turkey gun with the original barrel. Bonus.
I think that this is better because it's much heavier and more difficult to handle- I feel a lot better about it. It's kind of hard to accidentally hold down the slide release while fully cycling the slide and disengaging the safety.
The only problem is that I haven't run any shells through it yet... so I don't want to depend on it to keep my family safe.
And this is probably more than you wanted to know.
Thanks much for the info.

As an aside... has the GA AR-15.com crew ever considered trying a different range or possibly a different time of day to avoid crowding at the range? [I've been talking to Vetekbob (who had a great time) and reading the posts about the shoot.]
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Hobbit, you just hi-jacked your own thread.  I have no choice but to lock it for your own good until such time that you can prove you can stop going off on these off-topic tangents.  

Seriously, I’m up for shooting anytime, anywhere.  I think the CE location just seems to work for most of the guys.  Plus, CE is much larger than the Wilson Shoals WMA.  For example, the WS WMA only has a 75-yard range with a berm at 25-yards for pistols.  No separate rifle/pistol ranges.

Again, I’m up for anything.  The problem is finding some land.  If someone had a few acres, we could have our own private range.  That’s why the wife and I are looking for some land.  If I can make it happen, the first thing, before even considering building a house, is a shooting range.  

If you have any ideas, let us hear them.

Hope to see you soon, my friend.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I am becoming notorious for highjacking my own threads.

As I see it, the solution is simple. I'm sure you'll agree:
It's obvious to me that you and your wife should pass around the collection plate among the GA crew to fund the prospective land purchase. I'm in for a dollar!

I haven't been to any of the other outdoor ranges here, so I'm unfamiliar with the setups. Vetekbob and I went to C.E. in the afternoon once on a Saturday after work, and we saw a grand total of seven people combined on the pistol and rifle ranges. To say the least, there was nobody there that got bent out of shape because they couldn't get a bench.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am becoming notorious for highjacking my own threads.

As I see it, the solution is simple. I'm sure you'll agree:
It's obvious to me that you and your wife should pass around the collection plate among the GA crew to fund the prospective land purchase. I'm in for a dollar!

I haven't been to any of the other outdoor ranges here, so I'm unfamiliar with the setups. Vetekbob and I went to C.E. in the afternoon once on a Saturday after work, and we saw a grand total of seven people combined on the pistol and rifle ranges. To say the least, there was nobody there that got bent out of shape because they couldn't get a bench.

-Hobbit

CE does seem to clear out in the early afternoon.  I think everybody starts to call it quits about 2 or 3.  Maybe they're all just going to Hooters for a late lunch.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Hooters for lunch? Today? Woohoo!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Lunch only?  Boobi^H^H^H^H^H^Hooters are fantastic any time of the day or night!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top