Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 12:55:04 PM EDT
It was really fun. I found out your IQ drops by 100 when the timer goes off. I kept trying to count my shots so I would know when to reload. Heres vid of the 4 stages.
VIDEO

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:11:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 4:16:28 PM EDT by -Duke-Nukem-]
I've seen alot worse. When you are just starting, your priorities should be to be safe and have fun and compete against yourself. Don't worry about what the other guys were doing. Looks like you had a G19 there, good choice, and your stance and smoothness looked good. How was your accuracy?

P.S. Don't bother to count your shots, reload at slide lock or whenever you get lull (like moving from one set of targets to another). Your focus needs to be elsewhere, not on a counter in your head. As your speed improves you would find it even more difficult to count (look at how fast some of those other guys are and try to count their shots, even with nothing else for you to focus on it can be very difficult). Your attention should be on your front sight, your trigger finger, and your stance/footwork, and trying to count as well just gives your brain information overload.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:08:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Duke-Nukem-:
P.S. Don't bother to count your shots, reload at slide lock or whenever you get lull (like moving from one set of targets to another).

That would work for IPSC, but in IDPA you must reload behind cover or you get penalized.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:59:37 PM EDT
Not picking on ya at all . . . but . . .

Only problem I see is that you are taking the empty mags out of your weapon and putting them in your pocket.

Big, huge training mistake. What you do in training is what you will do in a real life situation. Removing the mags from your weapon and putting them in your pocket is probably one of the last things you should be worrying about . . . .

Sorry if I sound like an ass, just trying to give a little constuctive criticism, take it as you will and hope I didn't piss you off.

Most importantly, very happy to see a new person enjoying our sport
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:31:29 PM EDT
Glock223, actually I think in IDPA you are supposed to reload with retention too. I forgot about reloading from behind cover as well. Matthew sometime if you are out at an MODCC shoot I'll show you the reload with retention drill that will help you speed that up and be more sure of your movements.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:42:26 AM EDT
Guys, that may be true about IDPA, I'm not well versed in their rules or standard practices. I was referring to IPSC and besides, in real life (I'm an LEO) I can honestly say that I'm not going to be pulling mags and putting them in my pocket if I'm in a situation like that, law enforcement or civilian.

No offense, just my opinion, and we all know about opinions . . .
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 9:49:28 AM EDT by Matthew10_28]
the accuracy was suprising to me, most were in the 'A' ring. I didnt have any -2's. I had to put the mags back in my pocket cause you cant drop a mag if it has a round in it....cause I was counting I was pleased in myself especially for my first time.

http://www.shootershack.com - Bench Rest 17th Matt Geders Unclassified ESP <-- I thought i was SSP
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:39:43 PM EDT
I shot my first IDPA earlier this year, it was a blast. I really want to do som emore.
Some scenes in IDPA do require mag retention, others do not. It all depends on what the course calls for.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:39:03 PM EDT
You know, I posted a big thread in GD earlier this year about how to properly reload with retention, and I got jumped on big time. Half the people said I was doing it all wrong and and was a total hack, and the other half said that you should just shoot to slide lock every time no matter what, even in actual combat (as an attorney I find that attitude to be... uh... interesting). So then I explained that I had learned how to do it from an instructor who taught at Front Site in Las Vegas, but refused to name him. Half the people said Front Sight must be a bunch of hacks then, and the other half said I was lying because I wouldn't give out the guy's name. Then I finally scanned and posted an article by Massad Ayoob with pictures showing the reload with retention done almost exactly the way I had been taught, and it just killed the thread. The last post in that thread is the one with my pics. Not one person responded to that article.

That's when I decided that General Discussion is best suited to "kill all Muslims" and "I think my wife is cheating on me" threads. I haven't started another thread there since, come to think of it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:39:45 PM EDT
Your attempt to educate the GD board sounds like the same problem our school system has educating the children. Hmmm...could there be some coincidence? I think Duke and I have discussed this more than once since I met him.

I use to feel the same way about AR-15.com a few years ago based on my experiences dealing with opinionated people on the M16 full auto board. I have revised my opinion of AR-15.com after finding the MO Hometown board and meeting everyone at the shoots.

In my experience I find that the knowledgable people are smart enough to know what they don't know, are reserved in forcing their opinions on others, speak up to help others that are smart enough to ask for help, and typically speak volumes in a few words.

The most important things I've learned from the CMMG shoot over the last year is that there are some top notch shooters around MO that I can learn a lot from, I have a lot to learn, it takes a lot of practice to improve a little, and I need more time to practice.

I need some more practice...when is the next CMMG shoot?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:29:29 PM EDT
I am not opinionated! in my opinion.....
When is that next shoot? I need some practice too!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:28:41 PM EDT
Duke, I would like to know this retention technique, any way you still have that Mas Ayoob article?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:03:20 AM EDT
Yeah, I've got it. I'll show you sometime.
Top Top