Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 2:25:17 PM EDT
Hello everyone I am new to the ar15 world. Can someone here fill me in the rules and regulations on obtaining a SBR ar15 in Virginia. Since the ban is over I am thinking of building a commando ar15 with 10 1/4 inch barrel.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well SBR's are federally banned.  But you can get a permit to have them from the ATF.  Talk to you local sherrif to see if he will sign your paperwork.  As long as the local cops sign off its easy.  Otherwise you have to make a corporation.  Once you get your form 4s signed you can get a form 1 which is the manufacturers form and have your lower sbr engraved.  etc.  Btw of all the things I could SBR a .223 weapon would be the last.  Its highly speed dependant.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
SBR FAQ

Try here
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well SBR's are federally banned.  But you can get a permit to have them from the ATF.  Talk to you local sherrif to see if he will sign your paperwork.  As long as the local cops sign off its easy.  Otherwise you have to make a corporation.  Once you get your form 4s signed you can get a form 1 which is the manufacturers form and have your lower sbr engraved.  etc.  Btw of all the things I could SBR a .223 weapon would be the last.  Its highly speed dependant.

?????
You need to use the Form 1's,... Form 4's are to transfer existing SBR's.  Form 1 is to manufacture a SBR.
Find out if your local sheriff will sign first, Tell us where your located and one of us prolly knows,....I can tell you that the Frederick Co. Sheriff has no problem signing ........Udog
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the tips. I am in Fairfax county. Does anyone know the contact info for the local chief LEO?

Also, is it legal to have all the parts ready to be assembled while waiting for the approvel?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?????
You need to use the Form 1's,... Form 4's are to transfer existing SBR's.  Form 1 is to manufacture a SBR.
Find out if your local sheriff will sign first, Tell us where your located and one of us prolly knows,....I can tell you that the Frederick Co. Sheriff has no problem signing ........Udog

Form 4s are to get the tax stamp.  Form 1 lets you make it   This is the explanation I got from the guy who's krink I'm buying.

If you're in Fairfax county you need to submit your paperwork to Stan Barry, the sherrif.  He doesnt handle any of it though, his leutenant does.  LT.  James Tracey is a cool guy.  Hes very into the shooting sports.  Ive had more than one 30 minute conversation with him.  Some time he takes a while but if you give him a phone call or two you can help move things along.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You get a Tax stamp either way Bro,.....
If your buying an existing MG, SBR, SBS, or Supressor then you use the Form 4
If you making a SBR,SBS or Suppressor then you use a Form 1

If the guy is making your Krink he files a Form 1, When it clears he makes it then sells it to you using a Form4
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You get a Tax stamp either way Bro,.....
If your buying an existing MG, SBR, SBS, or Supressor then you use the Form 4
If you making a SBR,SBS or Suppressor then you use a Form 1

If the guy is making your Krink he files a Form 1, When it clears he makes it then sells it to you using a Form4

Ok.  Just make sure you get the tax stamp before you bust out the hacksaw.  That and a form 1 is involved.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody know how Loudoun County is on these?

Bubbles?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Very informative thread. I too, live in Fairfax County, but was unable to find information regarding the Chief LEO and the overall stance of FCPD on NFA items. I had given up on the thought of owning such things. Is there a dealer in the Fairfax County area that might be able to guide a first-time NFA buyer? I tried Shooter's Paradise in Prince William County, but it seems like they don't do very many transfers, and after learning I was from Fairfax County, they volunteered no more information.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Very informative thread. I too, live in Fairfax County, but was unable to find information regarding the Chief LEO and the overall stance of FCPD on NFA items. I had given up on the thought of owning such things. Is there a dealer in the Fairfax County area that might be able to guide a first-time NFA buyer? I tried Shooter's Paradise in Prince William County, but it seems like they don't do very many transfers, and after learning I was from Fairfax County, they volunteered no more information.

Try Battlefield Sports in Chantilly.  I have never dealt with them, but I have heard others leave positive feedback.  I'm not sure if they have a website, but their number is (703) 263-7676.  Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Vinh,

Fairfax Sheriff signs forms, though it takes 4-5 WEEKS for them to sign and come back.  You must also send in all other documentation with your forms ie fingerprint cards etc.

While I've never met him, John Brown  703-263-7676 is in Chantilly and a great guy to deal with.  I've always used Oliver in Farmville (hey I like the drive.)   I'll eventually buy something through John Brown to meet him.

Edited to say.. if you have any other questions you can IM me and I'll help you out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree on two counts: John Brown is a very nice guy to deal with and I drive up from Richmond just to have him handle transfers.  He will also be familiar, I'm sure, with the situation on the ground at Fairfax Courthouse.  If I were you, I'd give him a call.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I use ITS.  The guys name is Faruk.  He is a stand up guy.  He has gone out of his way to make sure things go smoothly.  I think he charges $100 on MGs and a little less on everything else.  He has written instructions that walk you through the process.   I cant recommend him enough.  I suggest that you at least call him and talk to him for a minute.

As for the sherrifs signiture, it doesnt take 4 weeks.  If you drop it off at the courthouse on monday and call LT tracey once or twice, itll be in your mailbox on friday.  He took a while on my MG transfer paper work but he went on vacation in between.  My suppressor paperwork was back in about 6 days.  When you drop your paperwork off you can either go to the sherrifs intake desk (upper level across from the entrance behind the escalator) or you can give directly to tracey. (in the jail, the receptionist can call him)  If you drop it off at the intake desk it could take a week to get to him.

When you drop your paperwork off you need to include

2 - Form 4s or 1s  Both have to be signed.
2 - Filled out fingerprint cards
1 - Fairfax county questionaire

The fairfax county paperwork is a 12 questions that ask simple stuff about your background and if you have a safe etc.  You have to turn one of these in with every submission.  If you give them your paperwork with out it, theyll mail you the form and wont sign and return your paperwork until you get the form back to them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I use ITS.  The guys name is Faruk.  He is a stand up guy.  He has gone out of his way to make sure things go smoothly.  I think he charges $100 on MGs and a little less on everything else.  He has written instructions that walk you through the process.   I cant recommend him enough.  I suggest that you at least call him and talk to him for a minute.

As for the sherrifs signiture, it doesnt take 4 weeks.  If you drop it off at the courthouse on monday and call LT tracey once or twice, itll be in your mailbox on friday.  He took a while on my MG transfer paper work but he went on vacation in between.  My suppressor paperwork was back in about 6 days.  When you drop your paperwork off you can either go to the sherrifs intake desk (upper level across from the entrance behind the escalator) or you can give directly to tracey. (in the jail, the receptionist can call him)  If you drop it off at the intake desk it could take a week to get to him.

When you drop your paperwork off you need to include

2 - Form 4s or 1s  Both have to be signed.
2 - Filled out fingerprint cards
1 - Fairfax county questionaire

The fairfax county paperwork is a 12 questions that ask simple stuff about your background and if you have a safe etc.  You have to turn one of these in with every submission.  If you give them your paperwork with out it, theyll mail you the form and wont sign and return your paperwork until you get the form back to them.

I met Faruk at the Chantilly gun show... good guy.  Forgot about him.

WTF... I've sent the Sheriff (Lt Tracey currently signing) over 10 form 4's in the past few years.  The earliest I've received them back is 2-3 weeks.  Lately it is approaching 4-6 weeks. (The last one was 6 weeks)  I called Tracey up one day saying why does it take so long, especially since I've had multiple forms signed. Well, they do their own background check and probably send the info to the FBI too.  

I don't bother with the questioneer anymore...  I haven't used on in the last 3-4 forms I've had signed.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Usally takes me about 7 mins to mine signed, If he's in the office. Wish it took a little longer, I love chating with his MILF secrataries
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Usally takes me about 7 mins to mine signed, If he's in the office. Wish it took a little longer, I love chating with his MILF secrataries

YOU DIRTY BASTARD!

/me shakes fist

Are you a deputy?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow... I just got my form 4 back from the sheriff.  Total time it was there till now was 9 days!  Wow, feels like I won the lottery.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are you a deputy?

No bro,. High drag Low speed fast approaching middle age
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Tanker, When where you in the 3AD?

I was in the 503rd MP CO 1986-1989, Frankfurt, FRG

Mark
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
My SBR paper work hit the mailbox last Monday. Now I just have to wait.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Is Albermarle County friendly towards signing the form 1?  I'm thinking about doing an SBR but I haven't talked to the CLEO yet.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#24]
In Fairfax, where do you get this Fairfax questionaire, and where exactly do you take the paperwork to?  I can't find any info about this on their website.  Where is Lt Tracey's office?
Thanks in advance for the stupid questions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
In Fairfax, where do you get this Fairfax questionaire, and where exactly do you take the paperwork to?  I can't find any info about this on their website.  Where is Lt Tracey's office?

Quien, go here for the forms you need.
www.innovativetactical.com/Forms.htm
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hello everyone I am new to the ar15 world. Can someone here fill me in the rules and regulations on obtaining a SBR ar15 in Virginia. Since the ban is over I am thinking of building a commando ar15 with 10 1/4 inch barrel.
Thanks.

OK, I've been reading this thread and I'm interested in the concept.  But why a 10.25" barrel?  Why not 11.5"  

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Get the form off Farrohk's website and fill it out.  Its only like 12 questions.  Then take it down to the courthouse and the sherriffs office is right behind the escalators on the main floor.  Walk in and go to the information desk.  The office is at about 10:00 from there.  You cant miss the escalators.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the links guys.  I checked them all, and never found out what you have to do if you move.  Do you have to inform the CLEO or ATF on moving?  I'd hate to re-engrave a lower every few years...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks for the links guys.  I checked them all, and never found out what you have to do if you move.  Do you have to inform the CLEO or ATF on moving?  I'd hate to re-engrave a lower every few years...

On ATF Form 1 "Application to Make and Register a Firearm" on the second page, check under "Important Information for Currently Registered Firearms."

Change of Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Washington, DC 20226, in writing, of any change to the address in item 3a.
Interstate Movement: If the firearm identified in item 4 is a machinegun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or destructive device, the registrant may be required by 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4) to obtain permission from ATF prior to any transportation in interstate or foreign commerce.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm about ready to do the same, but I've got to get my fingerprints taken.  I'm in Fairfax Cty. too.  Where did you go to get yours done?

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm about ready to do the same, but I've got to get my fingerprints taken.  I'm in Fairfax Cty. too.  Where did you go to get yours done?

Courthouse
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Courthouse

Thanks.  I've got everything together now except for the fingerprints.  Should have them today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry for the Dumb question, Are SBR's legal in DC?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Sorry for the Dumb question, Are SBR's legal in DC?

7-2502.02 Registration of certain firearms prohibited.
(a) A registration certificate shall not be issued for a:
(3) Short-barreled rifle; or

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:49:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Interesting.................I just saw that he's in Fairfax
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Somebody live in DC?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Somebody live in DC?

EL_Abogado

Title ::
A Lawyer with a Carbine

9/13/2003

Team Member ::
Bronze Contributor

DC, USA
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#38]
It's a nice geographic center for describing the area in which I live . . . .

Oh, and don't forget:  "I'm an attorney and writer. Interests include: shooting, edged weapons, writing, SCUBA, training, scotch and cigars, women, etc."

Just got back from Fairfax County Judicial Center and surrounding buildings.  You can get fingerprinting done at the Fairfax County PD Annex, at 10600 Page St.  The cost is $5.00 per person, not per card, for fingerprints.  You must bring cards with you and have them filled out.  Additionally, you must have two forms of ID, such as driver's license; passport; voter registration card; etc.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Albemarle County, VA is no problem.  The key is to talk to the Sheriff, not the Police chief.  Sheriff Robb is very pro-gun.  The PD is another story.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Just got back from Fairfax County Judicial Center and surrounding buildings.  You can get fingerprinting done at the Fairfax County PD Annex, at 10600 Page St.  The cost is $5.00 per person, not per card, for fingerprints.  You must bring cards with you and have them filled out.  Additionally, you must have two forms of ID, such as driver's license; passport; voter registration card; etc.

Actually you can only get 4 or possible 5 fingerprint cards done for five dollars.  Any more fingerprint cards are another 5 dollars.  If you get 2 done, you might as well get 4 done since you are there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Actually you can only get 4 or possible 5 fingerprint cards done for five dollars.  Any more fingerprint cards are another 5 dollars.  If you get 2 done, you might as well get 4 done since you are there.

Yup, I had 4 done last time I was in and it was $5.  That was about a month ago.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#42]
More questions is:   <16"  and <26"  typed just like that acceptable for questions 4. e. &  f.  on the form 1 ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top