Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2018 4:04:14 PM EDT
My son has a summer internship in Hawthorne and I'm looking for a safe place for him to live. He and a couple of friends want a furnished 3 or 4 bedroom house or apartment within 20 minutes of work.  It looks to me like at least parts of Hawthorne are not so great.  He is currently looking at long term AirBnb stuff.  I'm in the PRNY and will have to pick something out sight unseen.
Thx
secamp
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
What budget do you have in mind?

How long (time) are they willing to spend driving to and from work?

How's something like this?  This is 2 1/2 miles west of downtown Hawthorne.

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They are looking for a 20 minute commute at rush hour.  They are looking to spend about $1000-1200 per person so $3000-3600 for a 3 bdrm or $4000-4800 for a 4 bdrm.  I think they looked a place in North Redondo beach.  Is that a nice area?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
West of the 405 is nice but pricey. Look South also near or just west of the 405. Rent is not cheap out here even near sketchy areas. You definitely don't want anything east of the 110, Mostly industrial but still ghetto as F.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are looking for a 20 minute commute at rush hour.  They are looking to spend about $1000-1200 per person so $3000-3600 for a 3 bdrm or $4000-4800 for a 4 bdrm.  I think they looked a place in North Redondo beach.  Is that a nice area?
View Quote
Nice area but higher crime than the coastal part. Nothing bad but people in the area do report packages, bikes, toys stolen etc, from time to time. Petty type crime. Just don't leave stuff in your car or stuff out in the open unlocked.

I should add that there is a surface level train track that runs parallel with Inglewood Ave near North Redondo. It's gotta be loud for all the homes nearby. The tracks run through Lawndale but North Redondo is only a block west. Something to keep in mind if the condo is within ear shot of the tracks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
North Redondo is a little bit sketchy but better than many areas.  Lawndale is very sketchy, too.

Redondo Beach is better still as are Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, El Porto, western Torrance, even El Segundo (which has an active police force).

Look on Zillow.com or other mapping service.  You'll need to do a more extensive search, but I spent a minute looking for furnished places (tricky to find) and came up with these.
5507 W 149th Pl UNIT 11, Hawthorne, CA 90250, 3 beds/2.5 baths/1,660 sqft
4489 Spencer St UNIT 208, Torrance, CA 90503: 3 beds/2.5 baths/2,564 sqft.

If you go north or east of Hawthorne you quickly run into some more dangerous areas (higher crime rates, more violence).

Look at each neighborhood on Crimemapping.com you'll see the differences between property crimes (non-violent) and violent crimes (locals hurting locals).

Look on the Megan's Law web sites (link) and stay out of the apartment complexes with multiple sex offenders.  You can avoid them and the other criminals placed there by the State.

There are a lot of really great people out here, of all colors.  Stay out of the crime-ridden areas, even if it costs more.  Live near the beach, they will have a great summer!

Where will they work, Northern Hawthorne = SpaceX?  I ask because rush hour commuting out here is the worst in the entire world (a fact, not exaggeration) .  20 minutes is a VERY short commute.

I hope this helps in some way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a mechanical engineering intern in Torrance we lived at the corner of Hawthorne Blvd/PCH - no way it will be a 20 min commute to Hawthorne but it was a pretty decent place for 4 early 20 engineers for 6 months.

I lived in the Polliwog Park area of Manhattan Beach in the mid-90's as a recent college grad. No idea what rents are like in the area today but it should meet the 20 min desire.

Also look at Culver City/Baldwin Hills.

Unfortunately, a 20 min commute is a small target area and they're going to want to be closer to the beach for the nightlife & weekend activities which means high rent.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
We given up on the 20 minutes and are looking in Redondo Beach which I'm guessing will be closer.  This will put them what appears to be a nicer area with places to go.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We given up on the 20 minutes and are looking in Redondo Beach which I'm guessing will be closer.  This will put them what appears to be a nicer area with places to go.
Thanks
View Quote
Redondo Beach
Manhattan Beach
Hermosa Beach
South western Torrance
Hollywood Riviera

These are collectively known as The South Bay and as the Beach Cities.

I'll add in these even though they are not part of the Beach Cities.

Palos Verdes
Rolling Hills
Rancho Palos Verdes,

These are good places, good neighborhoods, all of them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of apts in Torrance, I lived there for 5 years.
El Segundo is nice, and down the street from hawthorne.
Westchester, playa del rey, any beach city are good but pricey.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, the 90278 area is fine.
From Playa Del Rey to Palos Verdes west of Aviation Blvd is a great place for them to start.

The prices near the beach go up, just like anywhere else in a populated coastal area.

Playa Del Ray and El Segundo are full of aerospace defense folks, what is left of us... and the landlords understand the industry.

If they get too close to Hawthorne Blvd, the petty theft starts to increase, but there are nice neighborhoods near Anderson Park (near old TRW now Northrop Grumman) and again south of Artesia Blvd.

The neighborhood that borders Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach is in that 90278 zip and runs cheaper than Hermosa or Manhattan and is just as nice.

Good Luck to them on the start of their working journey.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#14]
They found a place in South Redondo Beach, near Torrance Beach.  Its farther and more expensive than they wanted but it looks to be a nice area and its only for the summer.  It looks like a 10 minute walk to the beach.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#15]
It is a nice area.

Esplanade is for walks.  Bike path is there for cycling.

Hollywood Riviera has local shopping - Ralph's and Trader Joe's.  Big box stores are a few miles east via Pacific Coast Hwy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top